Kh frame differences

is there much difference between year models on 24" kh frames ,eg tyre clearance, tubing thickness,strengths and weakness of year models

Depends on what years you’re thinking about. If you wonder if a 2005/2007 KH24 will be as good as a 2008 one, I think they’re pretty much the same.

I can’t comment on tubing thickness, but it looks like for the 07 model the welding was changed which increased the clearance, but then for the 08 model the fork length was actually decreased to bring it back down and its about the same as an 05 model’s clearance. The seat tube is reinforced on the 2008 models and also lengthened.

I have an 05 frame an 08 frame and I love both.

Here is a post where Kris writes about the 08 differences

I could be wrong, but I think the 05-06 frames are the same as the 07. The big difference is a switch from a KH-Onza hub to the ISIS hub with moment cranks, used on the 07 and 08’s.

I think the only frame difference is the stronger seat tube on the 08’s. So if you can find a good deal on an 07 don’t be afraid to snap it up. The 05’s are less desirable, because of the non ISIS crank set up will mean you can’t swap the cranks with other uni’s. I have an 05 KH 24, and an 07 KH 20. The quality of the frames seems the same, broken seat tubes were very rare, but KH is kinda a perfectionist and did a bit better there for 08, but I wouldn’t worry about the earlier frames.

Didn’t the 05/06 have the gusset under the frame? Kris took that off the 07. The 08 has a stronger seat tube.

Feel the Light, I think the 05/06 take 42mm bearings. Making it an isis compatible frame. I’m sure I’ve seen some isis set up’s with the older frames.

Hi!

There are LOTS of differences between each year!

In 2004 they were steel and had a really simple design, but strong! I know many people that still have one! Picture:

The 2005 switched to Aluminium and a better design:

In 2006, as far I know, Kris did a slight modification on the bearing holders:

In the 2007 there were some improvements. The reinforcement between the legs switched to small plates, way lighter. Almost all KH components had modifications in 2007, but let’s talk about the frame.

In 2008 there were more improvements. The seatpost tube is machined, and bigger on the weld, so there’s more welding surface. Also there’s a smaller tire clearance, what’s good for flat and crown tricks. And there are new models: Long Neck, 36, Double Crown. On 29s and 36s, the seat tube is welded like on Koxx Frames (True the rest of the frame), to be able to ride with lower seats!

I think that everything is right! Correct my errors please!

A final opinion: If you’re willing to buy a KH frame, and can spend a bit more, go for the 2008. It’s better, stronger, and also if you want to sell your uni you’ll not loose so much. 2007 are out of production, and in some months they’ll loose more value…

Cheers,

Pedro!

PS: I found all pictures on the forum… Thanks for who posted!

Additionally, they are differences on bearing holder between 2005 and 2007. The lip on 2007 is smaller and compatible with Schlumpf/KH hub

2005, 2007 and 2008 are all using 42mm bearings. On my 29" 2005, I’m using a moment hub without any concern and pretty soon I should install a WTB Stout 29x2,3" which according to different opinions seems to be compatible with frame reinforcement.

Nice detailed write-up Pedro. You’re way less lazy than I am :slight_smile:

Great post Pedro

The 05 KH-Onza hub is a fine set up, and 42 mm, so you could put a late model ISIS hub in the 05 frame. The KH-Onza setup is a fine piece, and there is no good reason to just replace it. It also uses the super common 20x42mm bearing that can be found at all bearing houses for about 1 $. The non standard ISIS 22x42 mm size is 8 $. It only sucks in that it is an orphan crank spline. Going with all ISIS cranks is just more versatile, if you own many wheel sizes. The KH-Onza cranks are 100$/pr, and likely useful only on that uni. The setup is strong though, I doubt that very many 05 riders will ever need to replace the hub.

It seems there are a lot more differences than I thought…

Anyways, if you can get a used 07 Kh24 for cheap, I think you should buy it without any concerns. It’s good and strong.

I was always wondering what those little thingies are on the edge of the crown on the 04 model. Does anybody know what they’re supposed to do?

I switched one thing around. I’m pretty sure I corrected it correctly.

-Isaac

my guess is that they keep your feet on the crown.

They’re also on the 05 aluminum frames, but in tubular shape (they were called “noodles,” I think; they’re on my son’s muni). They were put there for grip when doing foot-on-crown stuff like gliding. Kris replaced them with knurling on the crown in later models.

The 05 KH24 had an arched “bridge” support under the crown as a brace for stiffness (and the “noodles”), but it stuck out too far to allow for clearance of the Gazz tire and there was a bit of a brouhaha about it. I had mine replaced for free because I’d bought the uni and the gazz, and couldn’t make them work together right. My son was quite excited because along with sending me a replacement 06 model frame, KH let me keep the old frame–which made a nice home for my son’s DX wheel.

do what! … wow…
only Kris would do somethin like that.

EDIT:i thought there was a noticeable gusset at the bottom of the KH 08 frames…
or is that just the short tube 'uns

I see, thanks! I always thought they looked really silly and useless, but since there was no knurling yet it does make some sense.