Initial thoughts on the new Nimbus Air Saddle and the Nimbus Air Cover

I presume that Roger won’t mind me re-posting this here. To be clear it was first posted on Instagram 45 mins ago. Obviously people won’t have tried it unless they work for or assisted UDC in development. Still would be nice to hear people’s initial thoughts and expectations

http://www.unicyclist.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
”‹

http://www.unicyclist.com/core/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
”‹

Actually I see now that the UDC US Instagram account posted the same yesterday

Interesting. I experimented with an improvised air saddle many years ago. However, my most comfy saddle ever remains my standard unmodified Miyata. I don’t think comfort has as much to do with padding as with saddle shape.

However, an improved front handle would be a good thing. I prefer using the seat handle to using a bar (I’ve experimented with various bar set ups over many years) but I’ve often thought that a short D-shaped bar would be a Good Thing.

I see prices already on the UK store

Hmm… some new Impact branded products as well. New Eiffel Tower cranks, new seatpost and a longer Impact Saddle Handle. Looks like a similar change as to the Nimbus branded one but without the hole.

Ohh… and a new penny farthing stand. Ok, that is probably not very interesting to most people here but since I own a penny as well. It is to me. I little pricey but I might be tempted. 😉

2020-07-03 15.28.40 www.unicycle.co.uk 3f750465f4cf.png

Will the new Nimbus handle be compatible with the old Nimbus saddle?

1 Like

I’d have to see more details on the Nimbus Air Unicycle Saddle before I’d call it a game changer. Ed Pratt rode one on the east coast of the US. When he first got it in Atlanta it was good but further toward NY he was in pain again.

The real advantage of the old intertube air saddles it that they were adjustable and had no pressurize points. The killer disadvantage is that they put the exact same pressure on places that should have more pressure like the sit bones and the same pressure on other more sensitive areas that should have lower pressure.

If the new saddle has fully adjustable and independent pressure zones where the rider could adjust for higher and lower pressure in each zone that may be a game changer. The description says it contains a series of interconnecting pockets in 3 sealed zones. Are those three zones independently adjustable to match the riders needs? No one saddle (non adjustable) will work for all riders.

My air saddle has some disadvantages but as far as saddle comfort I’d say it is a game changer. It is literally like sitting on an easy chair and I can ride non-stop for hours on end with no saddle issues. With my convectional UDC Club saddle I can ride a 100 mile day in relative comfort but I HAVE to take frequent butt breaks.

I’d have to see more details on the Nimbus Air Unicycle Saddle before I’d call it a game changer. Ed Pratt rode one on the east coast of the US. When he first got it in Atlanta it was good but further toward NY he was in pain again.

The real advantage of the old intertube air saddles it that they were adjustable and had no pressurize points. The killer disadvantage is that they put the exact same pressure on places that should have more pressure like the sit bones and the same pressure on other more sensitive areas that should have lower pressure.

If the new saddle has fully adjustable and independent pressure zones where the rider could adjust for higher and lower pressure in each zone that may be a game changer. The description says it contains a series of interconnecting pockets in 3 sealed zones. Are those three zones independently adjustable to match the riders needs? No one saddle (non adjustable) will work for all riders.

The new handle looks promising; looks like the idea is to be able to get more “hand” on it, with different ways to hold it and less uncomfortable edges. For the air parts, it will probably be like any other saddle in terms of working well for some folks but not as much for others. Only the air cover mentions the three different zones, though this may just be the way the descriptions are written. If it’s all one big air reservoir, that means the air may just transfer some of the pressure to places where you don’t want it. More people will have to try it to see how it turns out. Could be interesting though!

And everyone must remember there are many different types of riders/riding. The casual rider, who is in the vast majority of customers, may benefit more from air saddles than the people who ride more hours and more regularly. Can’t wait to see who likes them!

At $130, I want to wait for a review. BTW, anybody want my “unused” nimbus stadium. I didn’t need to ride this a few hundred miles to know it’s no good. If you just want a skinny flat seat and ride less than an hour, it’s okay. I ended up with a KH free ride, which is most comfortable seat for my 24" muni.

Way to attract lots of buyers! But thanks for the info on that saddle vs. the KH Freeride, That info may help me in my next saddle purchase! :slight_smile:

Hi slamdance

I just tried to PM you but can not for whatever reason, I would be interested in your nimbus stadium saddle so if you could message me that would be great

As far as I know, PM does not work yet on the new forum software.

Whatever he was hinting at

They are about to announce real soon now. We at least know it is an Impact Exceed product

Taken from: Unicycle.com on Instagram: "#Repost @impactunicycles with @make_repost ・・・ Exceed is the exclusive range of products offered by Impact Unicycles made from high end materials, like the Exceed titanium hub. Coming soon, we have a brand new Exceed product made from Carbon Fibre! Watch this space... . #impactunicycles #exceedcarbon #exceedtitanium #unicyclelife #carbonfibre #unicycling #newproduct"

The first place this hint was posted was on the https://www.instagram.com/impactunicycles/ Instagram account, so I expect the full revelation will be posted there first as well.

I am disappointed that the cover comes in only blue. I thought KH had established firmly that people want more colour selections than just blue. At such a high price, I hope I will be able to test a colour I prefer.

Airseat nostalgia, my old dogbone airseat is due to be reunited with me in less than a week after 16 years apart!

Unicycle.com UK told me on facebook “There is quite a big difference between the old air bladders which were just an inner tube in a bag to the new ones. The air pillow is a bespoke plastic bladder made up of multiple chambers, so it does not squirm about like the air covers.” after I expressed concerns about the control it would offer for geared 36 use, but they didn’t address the lack of colour selections.

Didn’t Kris Holm remove the hole because of safety concerns?

UPDATE
Found it: http://www.unicyclist.com/forum/unicycling-discussion/general-unicycling-discussions/84480-upgraded-and-new-kh-saddles-for-may-11#post84480

@kamikaze

If you don’t want the hole, the Nimbus sister brand, Impact also released a new handle. This appears to be essentially the same as the new Nimbus one but without the hole. It is also the same price. I linked to it earlier in the thread but if you missed it read this blog posting https://www.unicycle.co.uk/blog/new-…act-unicycles/

Also as stated in that blog posting

Yes, when doing unispins and flatland tricks, it can happen that your finger get’s stuck in the handle hole, and if you have bad luck, break the finger. It’s not much of a concern for Nimbus on this one, because:

1. They don’t really aim at flatland riders.
  2. With the big holes, even though your fingers can get into it easily, they won’t get stuck and break.