If you could only have one unicycle?

Hi Miss Swan,

I can afford more unis, but know that the 24" and 26" are very close (unless fitted with a 3 inch tyre. What I did not want to do was to buy a 24" (non-muni) then have to buy a 26 inch. I have no interest in high speeds, so I am not looking at the 29" at present.

I have heard that the 3" tyre is not good on pavement as it is heavy and unresponsive, which is why am looking at the Nimbus II with it’s 1.95" tyre.

What are your experiences of this?

Corbin is a wise man.

As far as the 24" goes- they can be made legal for track racing, if that’s a consideration.

They also have a shrinking tire selection.

My wife has both a 24 and 26. She likes the 26 for outdoors and the 24 for indoors. There isn’t a whole lot of difference in diameter, but the tire selection for the 26" is a whole lot better.

But most 26" unis can’t easily be made legal for track racing (618mm diameter max).

She likes the 29, but only for road cruising. It’s the largest wheel size she’s comfortable on.

I like the 24" for really technical terrain, but not much else. The 26" is OK for cruising, but 29" and 36" are much faster. And then there’s the Schlumpf.

Corbin is a wise man.

Joggerdude,

I find the 24 muni to work fine on pavement, with the air pressure a little low so as not to be riding just on the knobs. I don’t care about my speed either, so if the “heaviness” slows me down some or gives me a better cardio workout, I consider that a plus :slight_smile: Also, I can turn corners and maneuver around people with ease. In the past I had thought about getting a 24 nimbus II to transition between the 20 nimbus II and the muni, but now I’m glad I didn’t, as it wasn’t necessary.

Miss Swan

since I almost only ride off-road midly-technical
I will keep my Triton 26", Hüsker Dü tyre with 160mm cranks ( I usually prefer 140mm but frankly can’t master with this beast when it gets too technical)
I still crave for some kind of gear …

I would love a super tough G19 :slight_smile: would be the ultimate unicycle for me. I ride mostly trials and street due to the lack of trails so ya :slight_smile:

Hey Alucard!
Since you are now “in love” with your 29"…
has your answer to the question changed?

Ah ha,:smiley:
You got me there 57 :roll_eyes: . Yup, I had soo much fun on my 29’’ that I have changed my mind.
29’’ please :smiley:
I purchased a new tyre today, a specialized ‘Fast track’. It looks like it will be good for doing muni and road riding. I’ll let you know how I get on with it.

:d

I like my 26 now with the Hookworm. Smooth as silk on pavement and is fine on grass too. Alucard - great that you love your 29 now. I just felt it was too high. Maybe I tried it too soon. The 26 feels just right. Joggerdude, you should at least get a 26. Think it would be a good all around size for you.

KH29 with disc brake, T-bar and a 3 gears hub :thinking:

Be sure to post your review here too! In fact, it’s funny that you’ve got a Fast Trak - I was wondering what they’re like (after seeing on in an LBS).

I’ve given this some thought, and the obvious choice would be my 29’er because that’s my only ride all winter (which is almost half the year). I can get a studded tyre for it, and the wheelsize seems perfect on ice and snowy bikepaths. It is generally the most versatile wheelsize all year.

BUT: If I only could have one uni, I would not compromise. I could never give up my 36’er.:slight_smile:

bouin-bouin :slight_smile:
It was only a Wish List :stuck_out_tongue:
Okay I’ll settle for two gears. :roll_eyes:

Unibiddy :slight_smile: I think I got mine too soon as well so that’s why it spent time in the attic. Then I got my 26’’ Oracle and there didn’t seem an awful lot of difference in size. So last hols I decided to take the 29’’ thinking ‘‘it’s now or never’’.
We started the holiday off in a campsite in Cumbria which has some woods nearby. The dirt paths are fairly level with a few tree roots here and there. Well, we’d been here before on our last hols when I had my 26’’ muni. It was fun then, so I thought ‘‘well I can only but try’’. So try I did, and I had a whale of a time. I kept on going over bumps, tree roots, through puddles etc and I kept thinking ‘‘Wow" I can’t believe I’m still on’’! all that on a smooth tyre :slight_smile:
Then off to Scotland with miles of quiet single tracked roads. By the end of our hols I’d done over 50 miles, and could freemount on a slight upwards slope, all on 137’s :slight_smile:

I saw a Hookworm in the cyle shop when I was buying my Fast Trak, they look a real good tyre. Hubbs says he had something similar but much much bigger on his motorbike. Right off to do my tyre review on the tyre review thread now:)

:slight_smile:

I have changed my mind, a fat g29

Probably a 24 with an extra street tire. Could do muni, and could still do freestyle/flatland/trials riding. Could use it for general street riding, but long distance riding would be a bummer. Well, you said choose 1. You would have to sacrifice somewhere.

But, if it was a Guni, then in high gear it would go the same speed as a 36er.

Really? A geared 24 would go the same speed as a 36? I bet it would feel real twitchy at that speed though.

I am looking forward to someone letting me try their geared uni at the nationals. I’ve never ridden one. Next thing you know I’ll want a geared 36:D

Yes, the gearing ratio for the high gear of a schlumpf hub is ~1:1.5 and 1.5x24"+36".:smiley:

Or a g12

Except the gold, that’s what what the frames were like of bicycle racing (TdF) team “Cafe D’ Columbia”: filled with cocaine!

And back in WO2 tires were popular to hide money, and frames to hide false ID’s for jews.