I Need a Bell for my T7

i have a Ding bell at the top of the seat post X ) u look abit crazy with your hand under your seat 2 ring it but it makes my freinds laugh lol. when i get my nimbus 36 with T7 handle i think ill get a BBBRRRINNGGGGG from halfords :slight_smile:

I too am trying to figure out a way how to fit a bell onto my unicycle. I put one on the seat post but it’s too difficult to get to and impractical. Anyone has any idea of how to attach a bell to my unicycle?

use a finger bell instead.
useful if you’re walking in a crowd as well, ring it a lot and they’ll get out of the way :slight_smile:

Well, it works in Tokyo anyway

STM

on My T7 I have an old-fashioned Oïnk-oïnk horn that makes a lot of noise.

the bicyle bell reminds me of a story: I had a friend who mounted a remote controled one on a car, so when he was cruising slowly through a big crowded street he just rang his bicycle bell : when a car appeared instead of an expected bicycle people jumped ! suprise! very funny!

You still use a T-7? I’ve got two but I have almost completely stopped using them since I got a KH touring bar. I haven’t yet experimented with aero bars like I was going to but even in standard mode tilted down it seems far lighter, stronger, and more ergonomic to hold than the T-7. This thread is old, it should be relabeled “I need a 2010 KH touring handle and a bell to replace my T7”. Only trouble is you need a new seatpost and seat to match.

I sometimes use an MP3 player with speakers instead of a bell to let people know I am coming. It works if I am going slow enough on a quiet shared pathway (not much road noise). Bells definitely seem practical. It’s interesting how it can get people out of the way with minimal effort of both parties- they don’t need to look back and you don’t need to raise your voice.

that’s brilliant! I was only making an assumption :smiley:

I own a Coker bought in 2003! I had to tweak things to fix a T7 and there is no way to fix other fancy handles. this said except for the weight the T7 is ok for position.

Bells and whistles

This thread made me think that a bell would be good but I didn’t go out and buy one immediately. My Mp3 player stopped working. I got given a small bicycle bell, and it was so much fun I got an Air-horn too. They fit very conveniently on the KH Touring handle, protected from crashes and within easy fingertip reach. The bell works on pedestrians and cyclists, and the horn works well for tooting at cars, and on MP3 earphone wearing pedestrians/cyclists. I think they are such a good addition they should all come as standard parts for the handle- my other unicycles are starting to feel naked without the horn.

I like having a big wheel, riding without brakes but using an audible warning signal. The bulb comes off the horn for when I’m in schools where children constantly honk it even if I ask them not to (it’s really loud). I used cable ties to attach it because the fitting wouldn’t fit.

Make yourself heard! Throw away your old ding bell and get a horn!

I got the big brass bell by incredibell and it sounds great! but when I dump the 36er, all the internals explode outward in all directions. NG!

Nice one Rowan! Whats that thing attached to the seatpost?

Update:
My earlier replies in this thread must have been pretty close before I bought my first “good” bell. Maybe this thread inspired me. For my main road riding environment (American River Bike Path), a ratchet bell is the best. The ‘ding’ bells aren’t loud enough to register most of the time. Like in that Japanese video, the ratchet bell sends the signal to move over, so most people just do and don’t need to look back.

I love how the Japanese guy gets creative at the end, triggering people to move over even on the escalator and in the narrow store aisle! For those not familiar with Japan, they do have huge amounts of bicycles used for commuting, so they’re well acquainted with sharing space with them. Also, in Japan you drive on the left; that’s why almost everybody moved over to the left.

I used to have a really loud bulb horn on my Excessory Cycle; it was great for parades as it really cut through all the noise you usually have there. It would be really fun to use on the bike path, but too disruptive. Usually I just want people to make a hole, not look back and then react to a unicycle closing on them. That horn is not seen in the photo in my earlier post; it was long gone by then. What’s on there is the “little” horn, which only carries a very short distance, especially in the noise of a parade.

Nice setup, Rowan. But your bulb horn will carry much further if it’s pointed forward. Right now, it’s having its greatest effect on your progeny, not anybody else. :slight_smile: Of course, if you turn it around, it will be much more awkward to reach, so I understand the positioning.

It is a Fibre flare red light. Like a big red glowstick that runs on a battery.

I started with the horn mounted forwards, for maximum forwards horn blasting ability, but on my first UPD a few weeks after mounting it (I rode over a speed hump at night without looking and forgot it was there) the horn broke loose from it’s moorings because it protruded past the front of the handle. Only cable ties were damaged in the fall but it inspired me to try it the other way. I still get plenty of sound and half the time people I honk at are behind me. It is so much easier to reach with it oriented backwards, like you say. It was not hard to reach before but it is even easier now.

I use an Electra bell which makes the more traditional briiing briiing sound.

I was riding on a bike path a while back, just wide enough for two people to walk side by side. In front of me were four people in a two by two formation. I rang the bell in the hope they would move over to let me pass, the two people on the left moved to the right and the two people on the right moved to the left :roll_eyes:

The cluelessness of pedestrians knows no bounds.

I have a ratchet bell, purchased for a few quid from ebay. I find it essential to have when riding on the pavement or in parks etc as the ring-ring is very assertive and people often move out of the way without looking behind. The internal mechanisms sometimes rattle but it’s not a big deal.
I’ve positioned it at the front of the KH bar for easy reach and it doesn’t interfere with the handles or my hands.

More like a “quote of the day” but…

As I passed 2 pedestrians on the bike…I mean unicycle path a couple weeks ago, I dinged my bell, and as I passed a man said, “Nice touch”.

IMG_0299_2_2.jpg

I am buying

for my 36’er. Generally shouting “On your left!” works around here but sometimes traffic is too loud, or people have their music up too loud and they don’t hear me. Bike bells I’ve seen around haven’t been nearly as loud as I’d like. So I figured I’d pick one of these off amazon and give it a shot.

that is an obscenely loud horn…

I ride on obscenely loud roads sometimes. Almost any direction I go from my house to get somewhere I have to ride near the highway or on a very busy/loud road.

Oh man, that looks like what I need Ducttape. I’d love to check it out when you get it going.

Brycer