Help identifying this unicycle

A local guy is selling this unicycle for likely a good price. It looks like a Nimbus II 26" to me but I’m not really sure as it could be an older model.

Questions:

1. model?
  2. estimated year of production?
  3. does it have an ISIS hub?
  4. it seems to be a 48-hole hub, is 48-hole any good nowadays?

Maybe @rogeratunicycledotcom could help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not an expert as I’ve only been doing this sport for since 2020, but I think those are ISIS cranks.

48h isn’t bad, but there’s very little made like that anymore but you’d really have to be trying hard to break it. Provided the rim and hub are in good condition you can always replace spokes as they brake.

Depending on the price might be a good 26" to pick up.

1 Like

Its Nimbus Venture cranks
But they exist both in Square and ISIS versions

2 Likes

Clearly a Nimbus. I had a similar in 24" with this specific crown. Not sure Nimbus ever went the 48 spokes route, it could be the photo giving this impression. The saddle has the latest design so it can’t be that old. It’s quite likely that those are Isis cranks.
Worth it as a starter uni, or advanced learner. Now if the price is veeeeeery low… could it have been stolen?

With that logo design, it is more recent than my 26" Nimbus Muni Frame. Based on this I am confident that the one you have pictured will be ISIS. Given mine from 14 years back is. And yes I agree it is almost certainly a 26" Nimbus II.

I bought mine in 2009, after a recommendation from this site as a good uni to use in the snow.

I still have it and actually even have it with me on holiday, where I have been out cycling it out in the snow. :wink:

Here are a couple of quick views to see the older logos at the front and side.

Notice also the Magura brake mounts that yours is lacking since it is newer and these days things have generally moved on to disc brakes. Indeed if yours is a Nimbus II, it will have no brake mounts at all and if you want a brake you will need a D’Brake.

2 Likes

It’s slightly heavier, but it makes wheels virtually unbreakable.

Estimating from the model of the seat and logo on the frame, I think this is new enough to be ISIS, but it’s hard to be 100% sure without pulling of the crankbolt. Good square taper (such as the nimbus hubs) is strong enough for a uni like this, which is best used for cruising on sidewalks and parks and maybe hopping up a curb if necessary, so I wouldn’t care much personally.

3 Likes

If you zoom up on the image, it looks to me like there are black ISIS spacers here.

3 Likes

Very good point on the logo! I think it was in 2010 when they changed the logo?

Also did you change the cranks to VCX or they are stock?

Yes I literally counted the spokes, there are 48 of them. This is what confuse me most tbh - as everyone has pointed out, it has the new logo, so it can’t be too old; but to my knowledge only very old unis (Torker came in mind) use 48 spokes.

2 Likes

That is a Nimbus Road. The 29er was red, I can’t remember if they made a 26’’ but they had a 24’’ with the blue rim. ISIS Hub, 48h wheel. Steel frame. Slightly less clearance than the muni frames (I think), but just as strong. Solid uni!

1 Like

I don’t think so, unis are very rare here. I reckon such a model could even date back before UDC was established here, it has to be brought by someone from abroad.

Ah I didn’t know they have a Road series! Researching…

The blue rim makes me wonder if it is an older (but newer than mine) Nimbus 29” Road Unicycle? Mine is pictured here with a blue rim, but the older style round-crown frame. It also has Nimbus-branded (on the outside) cranks, that are stamped “QU-AX 114” on the inside of the cranks. Mine seems to be from ~2005-2007, I think.

My seat post clamp has the older style Nimbus brand, which consists of the word “Nimbus” in the same font you see on the frame stickers.

The following photo is how it looked when I brought it home. It had a Nimbus gel saddle and some “shin-killer” pedals, which I switched out to today’s Nimbus pedals.

Mine has ISIS hubs and cranks, so I’m willing to bet yours does also. (Zoom in on the pedal axle, and you will see the “ISIS Drive” logo.)

1 Like

I think I’ve found it - it’s a Nimbus II, circa 2015, so not that old as it appears.

Here is a link from the Wayback Machine, of a 2015 UDC US page.

Saddle: Nimbus Gel (black) with front lift handle
Seat post: Nimbus 25.4mm x 300mm chromed steel or aluminum with a welded rectangular mounting bracket, 4 hole
Seat post clamp: Impact 2 Bolt Seatpost Clamp - Black
Frame: Nimbus II 26" (chrome) steel with 42mm machined maincap bearing housings
Hub/axle: Nimbus ISIS (black) 48H, hardened CrMo splindle,100 mm center bearing to center bearing
Spokes: 14G. stainless Chrome (265mm in length for 4X) with silver nipples
Rim: Nimbus FS 26" (blue) 48H, 32mm wide, doublewall, reinforced eyelets, aluminum
Rim strip: Rubber
Tube size: 26" x 1.75"
Tire: Kenda Kniption 26" x 2.30"
Crank arms: Nimbus Venture 2 150mm ISIS, splined, aluminum
Pedals: DX style, 9/16 threads, plastic
Bearings: 22mm x 42mm
Approx. cycle weight: 13 lbs.

2 Likes

I’m very tempted to get this one (spoiler alert, it’s $80, definitely a steal), although I really don’t know what I’m gonna do with it. I have a geared KH26 that fulfills everything I’d expect from a 26er.

1 Like

$80? Like you, I don’t “need” it, but there is a 26” hole in my collection. So, this would be me… :grin:. Nice find!

2 Likes

I’ve arranged a meet up with the seller, we’ll see!

Still makes me wondered why would a 2015 uni uses 48 spokes tho - too many 48H hubs in stock to get rid of?

That’s a good question. I originally thought it might have been an option that was offered, but your way back machine skills show that it originally was offered with a 48-hole hub as standard.

1 Like

A 26" Nimbus ll was my second uni and my first muni.
I ran it with a 2 1/2" Maxxis Minion.
I bought mine new in 2016.

[/IMG][IMG]

2 Likes

Exactly this one! It looks way better with a MTB tire.

1 Like

I changed them long ago. My machine came with 170mm cranks! I rarely run longer than 125mm on any uni these days.