Help identifying this unicycle

1. Nimbus 26" Road
  2. 2019 - but if you can give me the batch number off the hub or cranks I can tell you exactly when they were produced. The saddle base and the handle have date stamps on them as well.
  3. Yes, latest gen.
  4. Rare and very good.

Hope that helps.

Roger

2 Likes

I should add, it is not correct spec. It should have had VCX cranks on it at that time and the frame should not be chrome, so I suspect it is a special made during Covid when no one could get any stock. This is not a bad unicycle at all!

1 Like

Thanks Roger!

I can’t find any batch number on the hub or cranks. Here is a photo of the saddle base, does it mean this one is made in June 2016?

I brought it home! I mean, you can’t really say no to that price, and it’s so mint!

7 Likes

Yes, the saddle handle was made in July 2016, but that does not give the age of the unicycle unfortunately. The batch numbers are better, they are 3 digit number just below the logo on the hub (very small and may not be there!) and on the back of the cranks.

The reason I said 2019 is that there is a slight difference in the hubs profile and I believe the first distribution of that hub was then.

The more I look at it, the more I think it is a Covid unicycle. Either way round, it is a very good unicycle and for $80 is an absolute steel!

4 Likes

I double checked but unfortunately there is no batch number near the hub logo, nor there is anything on the back side of the cranks.

While I’m very happy with this find, I’m still (or, even more) curious about its origin.

It does look like a 2015 Nimbus II as found in the Wayback Machine, but there are two minor differences: it has 2.10" tire rather than 2.30" as listed; it has a Nimbus seatpost clamp, not an Impact one.

Reading this thread, makes me think I want a 26” uni again.
I’ve been riding a club 24” to go to my train station, but obviously it’s not fast. (Also note, I’m not a super quick rider). I’m thinking I might enjoy doing it on a road 26” more. I was doing that for a while on a no name 26” uni but I sold it in the early days of Covid.

And ok, I have 27.5 muni and 29” road but for me I think they are a bit on the big side for this short trip… my train station is just 1.2 or 1.3km away (depends on the route I take)…. If it’s a country train then there’s a hook for a bike I can put my uni on but the other train services I keep my uni with me and a more compact wheel is better for that….
And slightly smaller wheel is something I won’t get frustrated freemounting (yes, that still happens on a 29er for me… I will generally look for a downhill slope to assist)…. :frowning:

Not saying it’s not a good idea to get a new uni, but I don’t think there will be a very big difference between a 26er and a 27.5er. Maybe you can put a road tire on the 27.5.

@Canoeheadted Could you share what tire did you put on your Nimbus II? I was trying to fit a Duro Wildlife Leopard 26x3.0, but it seemed way too big, the frame does not have enough clearance. I thought it has the same dimension as the 26" Nimbus Muni but you do learn something the hard way!

Hillin,

It’s a 2 1/2" Maxxis Minion DHR on there. (I have a hard time writing 2.5" :nerd_face:)

1 Like

I’m going to have to put geek you and I hate myself for it… 26x2.5 is correct. Older tyre sizes written as a fraction (e.g 26 x 1 1/4) are based on a constant outer diameter of 26 inches and the rim diameter changes for different tyre sizes. Modern sizes expressed as a decimal are based on a common ETRTO rim diameter and the outer diameter of the tyre varies …

1 Like

Ya, I know what everybody’s doing but that doesn’t mean I have to.

I saw the rise of the ugly “don’t know the difference between metric and imperial” in lumber sales.
People would draw designs with 2.5’ and then not be sure if that was 2’ 5" or 2’ 6" when they got to a tape measure.
Now it’s everywhere.

I choose to use either metric or imperial independently unless I’m communicating with a young person.
(couldn’t find crotchety old man emoji so you’ll have to imagine it yourself)

Fair enough - I can see how that could cause issues. Hopefully someone may find the tyre info useful (if anyone was trying to buy tyres for their old imperial measure rims) :older_man:

1 Like

I learned the hard way, got a 1.25 instead of a
1 1/4 for a Schwinn 20. Took quite a few shops to find that size.

2 Likes

Now I read again, the devil was in the details…

Less clearance reducing a little the tyre options, is pretty minor compared to what you got for $80. :+1:

Well of course, I’d never complain about that price :wink:

1 Like

This was my response to the great deal @hillin found on a “COVID Special” Nimbus 26” Road Unicycle with 48-hole rim and hub for $80.

Well, I found one of the older version (circa 2015-2017-2018ish) for sale this week. . . for $50!

I picked it up as soon as I could, and the seller surprised me with a free 20” Sun unicycle. I hope to find someone willing to adopt the 20” soon, and will use it as a “loaner” until then.

While riding the 26” the first time, I realized the 150mm cranks seemed too long for how I plan to use the unicycle. I recently realized that after owning a 27.5” Nimbus Oracle with 150-125-100 cranks for 2 years, I have never liked riding it with shorter cranks and I will always ride it with 150mm cranks. So, I decided to swap the cranks between the 26” 48H uni, and the 27.5 Oracle.

After bringing the 26” home, I am calling Hillins unicycle the “COVID Special” as coined by @rogeratunicycledotcom , due to the saddle comparison, and the fact that the seller of my unicycle said he bought it prior to 2019. The side view of the two unicycles makes it apparent that the saddle on Hillins unicycle is a much flatter and newer style. My unicycle has the older more curved Nimbus Gel profile with a DDK base.

Photos below:

First photo after returning home.

Photo after installing a longer Nimbus seat post and newer-style Nimbus pedals with metal pins, swapping cranks, and installing an even older Nimbus Gel saddle (the blue saddle is softer) and a Coker Pi Bar. All of the parts I installed were either sitting in my parts bin and going unused, or were being used on another unicycle, but not to their full capacity.

Interestingly, my 24” fat-tire unicycle with Vee Speedster tire is one half inch (13mm) larger in diameter than the 26” unicycle.

Lastly, my unicycle has a QR code sticker on the frame that takes you to UDC UK.

Edit: Apparently (as you will read a few posts after this), all QR codes on Nimbus frames will direct you to the UDC UK website, so this is not an indicator of where a unicycle was originally purchased. Thank you for the insight, @rogeratunicycledotcom !

3 Likes

Congrats on your great find! $50 was an absolute steal.

I gave mine away a few months ago, as I had too many unicycles to fit in my apartment (I still do, just a little bit more under control XD). It was a decent urban traveller.

1 Like

That’s a bargain.
I would buy just because…