Hawaii MUni adventure on European Television

Hi All,

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to visit the Big Island in Hawaii to shoot a television feature for the German television show Rekordfieber (formerly Guinness Prime Time Germany).

The show format is people setting records, but it’s really flexible- usually they just make up records that look good on TV. In this case it was quite funny; they called me up last October and asked me to make up some record that might be worth breaking, of any sort, and I basically blew them off because it sounded a bit too stunt-oriented and sensationalized.

But then they called back and said, do you know anything that might work in Europe, or North Africa, or the Grand Canyon, or what about Hawaii? So it got more interesting and after I convinced them to hire Sean White (maker of Unizaba and and Into The Thunder Dragon) as cameraman, we ended up flying to Hawaii because, as the director said, “Every German wants to go to Hawaii”. We had no clue about anything to ride at this point.

The director and producer showed up 2 days before we did to scout locations, and when they picked us up at the airport they were really depressed because they hadn’t found anything spectacular. So we drove around a bunch and things started to come together as they learned what MUni and trials is all about, and they became happier. It was really great to work with Sean because it meant we could ride and film regardless of what they were up to.

We ended up finding some pretty interesting things, including urban trials near the start of the Hawaii Ironman triathalon, a steep descent into a super lush canyon by a beautiful white sand beach, some great riding on a beach with bright green sand, and trials on one week old lava. The lava was really cool- actually no it was very hot- too hot to touch and you could see glowing red if you looked through cracks. There was actively flowing lava only a few feet away and it was all flowing over top of a road with burnt up road signs. We also found their main “record”: riding-along-a-bridge-railing-more-than-100m-distance-200-feet-in-the-air". Ironic to fly all the way to Hawaii to ride on a concrete bridge but oh well.

The interesting thing was that this was all filmed so that they could edit it as if it were live-action. The time zone difference is such that it is day in Hawaii when the show airs in the evening in Europe, and the show format includes a celebrity host in front of a studio audience. This makes it viable that I could actually be in Hawaii, in front of a live camera, while the audience is watching. In the studio I will be on a large screen, pretending to listen to the host ask me scripted questions, and then I wait a bit for the “satellite time lag” and then answer his interview questions, and then prepare, and then ride the bridge railing, and then am stoked afterwards to the applause of the studio audience that thinks I did it live. They even had me memorize a bit of German (phonetically- I didn’t understand what I was saying). It was weird, but made for interesting filming. It will be interesting to see how this works; I was doubtful but this was what the director wanted.

The segment will air on May 3rd in German speaking Europe.

Cheers,

Kris.

Wow! Us non-German-speaking folks need to snag us a bootleg copy… :slight_smile:

Jacquie and I went on a day tour on the big island in 2001. It doesn’t seem as interesting terrain-wise as Maui or Oahu, but the lava flow stuff is pretty amazing. There’s a good chance you set a record for “fresh lava riding” as well!

Next time they’ll have to fly you to Maui to do the descent of the Haleakala volcano. This would be gliding on the paved road, which goes steadily downhill for lots of miles. You can do that famous bike trip here, where you coast down 10,000’, with only about 1/4 mile of pedaling in 36 miles.

Wear boots with thick soles!

What is the channel/show name Kris? I get loads of German channels on satalite so I might get to see it.

Cheers, Gary (guy with hammer)

Hello Kris,
Knowing how things were staged, it would be fun to see the “Live” airing.

It would also be great to see all of the footage that Sean took but, I suppose the German producers own all the rights?

I keep on telling people on this forum to come to Hawaii for some riding and fun in the sun (and water). I hope you enjoyed your stay over on Hawaii.

Now for my questions section:
Did you get to do anything other then riding your uni? Do you know the names of the places you visited and rode on? Do you have any plans to return? Are we going to get to see the video here in the states?

If any other riders are planning to come to Hawaii, give me heads up, I might be able to meet up and do some riding.

Aloha,
Daniel

I believe that the station is called Channel 1, based out of Munich.

Unfortunately the station owns the footage, but I believe they will let me put clips on the website at least.

I believe it will show at 8pm or 8:15pm on May 3rd, in whatever time zone Munich is in (I think they are 1 or 2 hours ahead of Greenwich mean time.

-Kris.

We had 6 days of frantic riding, shooting, and driving around. The only other thing I did was about 20 minutes of snorkeling just before we caught the plane home.

The Canyon descent was in the Waipo valley, on the King Kameamea (spelled wrong!) trail. The lava was shot in Volcano National park, for which we got official permission (the German producer met with the park officials and told them rather vaguely that we were shooting a documentary that included a “presenter”.

It was pretty funny shooting in such a legitimate sort of way. One time, I was doing an urban trials move and two cops came running over, shouting at me to get off of what I was riding on. The producer (who is in his fifties and looks very much the producer type) stepped forward, held out his hand, and said, “Roland Weise, German Television, can I help you?” Pretty soon the cops were directing sidewalk pedestrian traffic so it wouldn’t get in the way of the shot!

There was some lifestyle stuff shot in Kona, and the bridge ride was filmed on some random bridge near Kona, over a deep canyon- I forget the name although they will likely mention it in the show.

Other footage was shot at Green Sands Beach, the southernmost point in the United States.

The website for recordfieber is www.rekordfieber.de

I think they post the records on this site after they air.

-Kris.

The site doesn’t say when the Hawaii MUni will be on, but the next shows are on:

03.05.2003 (No MUni in this one),
25.10.2003 and

Until now the shows have been on at 20.15 local time.

The shows last about 2 hours and they have 4 records per show.
Even with comercials etc. there’s time a decent amount of MUni there :slight_smile:

I’ll have to see if I know anyone who gets ARD 1

Morten

If you’re in Europe and have an analogue satellite receiver then you can get ARD 1 on:

Satallite: Astra-1E at 19.2°E
Frequency: 11.49375 GHz
Polarisation: H
Transponder: 19

The show, Rekordfieber, is on Saturday 3rd May 2003 at 19:15 BST (20:15 CET).

I can’t find any mention of unicycling on the web site but their teletext will have details of the show tomorrow.

I’ll be taping it anyway.

Cheers, Gary

tape it, then put it online for the world to see! us aussies wouldn’t have a hope of seeing that!

I think the show format is that there is one outdoor record per show (in this case my record), and the rest are studio records. I think that they are going to split the segment into 3 portions, at the beginning, middle and end of the show.

-Kris.

btw Kris, OT,
I’m loving my kh24! its a great beast and is handling everything i throw at it…
well done on a great product

Kris Holm on German TV

Hello @ all !
My name is Stefan Gauler i ride unicycle since 1981. Im from Switzerland

im sorry , my english is very bad.

Please go to this links

http://www.ard-digital.de/ipg/alle_sender.php?dummyID=0&timeStart=2003-05-03+05:30:00&timeEnd=2003-05-04+05:29:00&hours=20:00:00

you can see the television live on

Satellit analog
Astra 1E

Transponder: 19
Frequenz: 11,494 Ghz
Polarisation: horizontal
Zwischenfrequenz: 1,494 Mhz oder 1,744 Mhz

Satellit digital
Astra 1H und Eutelsat (Hot Bird 6)

Weitere Informationen finden Sie unter:
http://www.ard-digital.de/FAQ/technik.html

The name of the tv- Station is ARD

(www.ard.de)

this site ist only in german.

you can use a translator

Description:
http://www.ard-digital.de/ipg/detail.php?eventID=16345929&timeStart=2003-05-03+05:30:00&timeEnd=2003-05-04+05:29:00&mode=station

Greetings from Switzerland

Stefan

Please visit my Homepage

www.einrad.ch.tt

www.einradshop.ch

Re: Kris Holm on German TV

OK here’s a translated description from the site:

Outdoor record: Einrad Downhill on Hawaii an unbelievable record wants the world-best a cyclist, who Canadian Kris cross-beam, to set up: With its fragilen vehicle it does not plan, an actually impassable distance in the volcanic landscape of Big Island/Hawaii with almost 100%igem downward gradient to down-nozzle-however also before 50 meters high brueckengelaendern without safety fence and fangnetz makes the sympathetic Einradler for stop.

OK whatever they say…

-Kris.

Re: Hawaii MUni adventure on European Television

Yeah, especially the fangnetz - that’s clearly a key point of it all. Plus
you can’t beat 100% downward gradient to down-nozzle (on a unicycle). I
think this whole translation would sell pretty well on a t-shirt in Japan.

—Nathan

“danger_uni” <danger_uni.mrmhm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:danger_uni.mrmhm@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> OK here’s a translated description from the site:
>
> Outdoor record: Einrad Downhill on Hawaii an unbelievable record wants
> the world-best a cyclist, who Canadian Kris cross-beam, to set up: With
> its fragilen vehicle it does not plan, an actually impassable distance
> in the volcanic landscape of Big Island/Hawaii with almost 100%igem
> downward gradient to down-nozzle-however also before 50 meters high
> brueckengelaendern without safety fence and fangnetz makes the
> sympathetic Einradler for stop.
>
> OK whatever they say…
>
> -Kris.

unicus wrote:
> I’ll be taping it anyway.

That sounds like one to tape and take with you to the sort of
conventions that leave videos running in communal areas - hint, hint.

Any chance you’ll be at the Crawley convention in August?
http://www.circuswurx.co.uk/conv.html

Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

On Thu, 1 May 2003 03:06:38 -0500, Borges
<Borges.mqqbc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>03.05.2003 (No MUni in this one),
How do you know that (no MUni)?

>Until now the shows have been on at 20.15 local time.
On 3 May the show starts at 20:15 CET and lasts a mere 2 hours and 20
minutes!

>I’ll have to see if I know anyone who gets ARD 1
I get it here and will be taping it while I’m out MUni’ing myself.
Then play it back at FF to check for MUni content.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Mosquito repellents don’t repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito’s sensors so they don’t know you’re there.

There used to be a USA member Roland Weise. Not sure if it’s the same spelling. He was some sort of journalist in East Germany, I think. We sent him the USA Newsletter for free, in exchange for a circus arts newsletter he sent us. Apparently it was too complicated to send money back and forth from there. I’m sure if he was the same guy he would have said something about other involvement in unicycling. Did he?

Re: Re: Kris Holm on German TV

babelfish victim? Hows this translation:

Outdoor Record: Downhill unicycling in Hawaii

The worlds best unicycler, the canadian Kris Holm, wants to set an unbelievable record: He plans to ride a theorectially impassable route in the volcano landscape of Big Island, Hawaii, which has near to 100% gradients.

The likeable unicycler doesn’t even stop at railings of 50 meter high bridges, that have no safety fences or safety nets.

OK, perhaps not so good after all!

I will also be taping the show, and I know that someone in the german thread on this page will be putting it online. Once I have a link I will post it here.

Regards,

Phil

Re: Re: Hawaii MUni adventure on European Television

MUni didn’t show up on their description of the show on their website. They’ll feature
One hand sprint,
TV lifting,
Number-puzzle solving while blindfolded and
Some motorcycle trials thing that I didn’t completely understand
(My German isn’t that good)

Morten