Handle saddle

This modified setup feels as solid as any handle I’ve ever used, and I really never put a lot of weight on it either pulling up or pushing down. If I’m doing steep climbing my grip is much closer to the front of the saddle so there’s less stress on the interface. I’ve ridden it pretty hard the last few days and it feels solid as a rock. This started out as just an experiment while I was waiting for the mad4one saddle handle.

The handle saddle could grant access to the seatpost tube

Using the handle saddle I can reach the inside of the seatpost… will take a picture of the Co2 pump and small tool I’ll be able to hide inside in the next days

handle saddle

Markus Büchel (aka turtle in this forum) is experimenting with a loop bar.

Any more info regarding this loop handle??

I’m very interested!!

I saw his DIY Loop handle about a week ago somewhere on Facebook. There was a picture showing the underside where he drilled large holes through the bottom of the tubing and then smaller holes through tube walls closest to the interface where the bolts screw into the existing four bolt pattern. So, like my first mod, his handle is being held on by bolts that go through only one wall of the tubing.

I saw it on facebook muni chat group 27. Augustus. There are more photos.
Georg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/601377376563633/permalink/2632532180114799/

Thanks!!

Here’s a shot showing the interface:

20190922_115925.jpg

That bar is steel, so it’s a lot less vulnerable to fatigue failure than an aluminum bar.

I was looking at bolting the handlebar end of a 4-bolt bike stem to 4 new holes in a KH style plate, and clamping a MTB handlebar in the steerer tube end. That way all the parts are being used the way the designer intended. The project lost momentum because cutting my own KH style plate seemed like too much work. And cost of buying one from UDC (a half hour up the road from me), plus the shipping, plus tax, seemed excessive.

Do you think is rigid this handle?

May be too much torque…

I put machine screws through both walls of T6 aluminum tubing. Solid as it gets.

The way I see it, the problem is not about how strong the screws or whatever components are, it’s that the distance between the two attachment points is very small compare to the handle’s length.
A long lever applying a (potentially) massive amount of torque on a small area. Kinda like a crowbar.

Yes, for me is the same concern… For instance the KH handles break under hard use, I´ve seen someone selling a spare replacement made of steel as an upgrade!!!

Also the saddle base is taking most of the stress (may be yours can handle it because is fiber carbon ???)

All I’ll say is well done Terry for staying positive during this round of… constructive criticism.

Build it, ride it, if it breaks then improve it.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

I love the idea of a straight post or a U post as a handle evolution!!

Great work, well done, keep pushing and share with us your impressions!!!

Thanks!!!

Continuing to modify and refine my mono handle. With this version the base is attached to a plate which is secured by all 4 mounting bolts just like a standard handle. Total weight: 135g. I plan to shorten the handle by about 4 inches, roughly the length of the foam grip.

On another note, tomorrow I’ll be lacing up my new carbon rim to the schlumpf hub.

Leather Finish

I just discovered the Handle Saddle with Leather Finish in the Mad4One onlineshop for 179€ (Size M). No information if the leather finish is sold seperately for older saddles.

Leather_Finish.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up, fetzenschorsch.

Looks nice.
And pricey.

It will be interesting to hear how comfortable the finished version is. If there was a narrow version like the KH Zero/One I would give it a try.

I think those are even thinner than a Zero/One (at least they feel that way) It would be nice to have the actual measures!