Handle saddle

My final custom saddle handle, and also new carbon wheel build, Hope Tech3 E4 disc brake w/ matching floating rotor.

Very impressive!! It looks goergeous!!

Cant wait to see your first ride impressions!

Here is my current set up. Two Alu triathlon bar extensions welded to a Alu base plate. Attached to Flatfish carbon seat base with 4x m5 allen bolts and flange nuts. I added the bridge close to the end to help stop the bars deforming during high speed UPDs (I couldn’t get it heat treated after welding so it could still be improved.

I think more of you should try orienting your brake levers in the opposite direction. With the more modern short levers (for 1 and 2 finger braking on MTBs) it doesn’t leave enough space for your other fingers to grip the bar without the clamp getting in the way. Turn it the other way around and bingo! One finger braking and full un-interrupted grip space on the bar.

I’m still not happy with the flex that I have in this set up still- not sure if it is in the seat base (doesn’t seem as rigid as the Unicycle.com bases), or in the bars themselves. Would love to make my own custom carbon seat base/handle combo- got some ideas floating around but just need the time to experiment a bit.

Sin you are now a Mad4One sponsored Rider… will you keep your research in uni handles??

Are you going to sell this handle?

BTW Congratulations!!!

I’m loving the Mad4one Handle Saddles and they have totally exceeded my expectations. My own handle idea is on the back burner due to fit issues.

So Terry, can you write a review?
And can you explain what kind of seatpost combo you are using.
Regards Georg

it works. yes it is steal, but with a real thin tube it is light. yes it holds (if you have a strong saddle). i ride mostly the mad4one handle/saddle, there is no flex, but also with our U-(rsli) bar there is not alot of flex (with a strong saddle).
Advance to handle/saddle: you can use a „real“ saddle, cheaper, if you have a brake lever which you can‘t open all the way you can still use it, all lengths are possible.

Are you going to produce those handles??

What is a strong saddle? Fiber carbon? Kh with reinforcement plate??

I really love the idea and the performance you are describing.

Thanks!

yes strong saddles are carbon, kh with the plate but also the kh zero and one.

we will start with a little badge next month

review of the mad4one saddle/handle (tested by turtle):
(that was a prototype, now they come with a better padding and a real cover)
https://youtu.be/dFy-6xw0hSI

There is a detailed video, about the Handle Saddle and when I say detailed, I mean detailed :slight_smile: from Bogdan Popescu. The interesting part starts at 3:38, when he shows the new leather cover.

The padding looks really strange. Instead of a middle channel it seems to have it’s high spot in the middle :thinking:

And it also confuses me, why the mount for the brake (short tube) is lower than the handle. That means, that the distance between handle and brake lever is increased by an inch or more in comparison for what it was designed for. Do unicyclers have longer fingers than bicyclers? I guess not …

I had that kind of installation on my handle saddle and the brake was almost out of reach. I bought a brake lever, which can be opened and mounted it directly to the handle, that`s OK.

My DIY saddle always are made that way… it’s one of most comfy shape. Look for InFinity Saddle https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655849966/infinity-seat-revolutionizing-the-bicycle-seat/posts
Another great shape is the one made by the new plastic saddle: a plastic web higher on the middle which bends and collapse under pressure.
I’m waiting 3D printing to become cheaper to start riding only my own stuff!

Marco told me that the shape of the foam had not changed (in comparison with the “competition finish”). I want to buy a second handlesaddle, but I think there are some small improvements (or customization) to be made in the shape of the foam.

Otherwise I use the size M daily on a G26 for more than one year with the brake lever directly on the handlebar (and without starfighter or spooner), for my use it is great. You just need to know if you prefer to use the brake on the left or on the right.

There’s a simple solution if you want to have the brake Post in line with the handle. Simply reverse it so the top plate is on the bottom. I actually prefer in the original configuration as the reach is perfect for me. I also prefer the brake post mount in the center so I can use either hand.

I also like having the lever in the same position as my hand when I’m holding the handle. So, if I wanted the lever attached directly to the handle, I would either have to cut some of the handle wrap away or I would have to have the lever much further down toward the front of the saddle and out of normal reach.

On the medium size the handle wrap covers all the exposed areas of the handle so that you would have to cut some of that wrap away in order to fit the lever directly on the handle.

Pics below show the two different positions of the brake post.

IMG_20191113_073326.jpg

IMG_20191113_073012.jpg

1 Like

I think combining the seat base and handle into a single part is a great idea. However it looks like some thought needs to go into adding a brake lever. The protruding bolt in the top side of the handle looks like it could be quite wicked when the going gets tough.

Maybe the next stage of development should be coming up with a brake lever that is designed for a unicycle rather then trying to adapt a bicycle brake lever to a unicycle. Maybe something along this line modified to work on a Handle Saddle would be an option.

The bolt can be inserted through the top eliminating that issue.

Yes, reversing the bolt would be an improvement. Event the normal bolt looks like it could be quite rude. A countersunk Flat Head Socket Cap Screw would probably be even better.

A button head would be better. The plate is too thin to allow a conehead to go all the way in.

IMG_20191113_120856.jpg