Flatland question

Muni is potentially as dangerous as any of those styles, it’s just that most muni riders are old which means they choose not to dangerous stuff, and I think it’s pretty obvious why.

I’d say drivers licence has something to do with it, and young people usually do what everyone else their age is doing, lol.

Sigged!

images.jpg

I definitely see the potential for danger, but I don’t really see anyone pushing that potential. Kris Holm I guess, but I haven’t seen any footage of him in ages. I agree if there were younger riders in muni it’d probably be pushed more and more dangerous. Someone should make an epic muni vid… (cough Justin Kohse cough)

Capture.JPG

Haha awesome, and notice how I said most. Gotta admit, it’s the truth, and now every time you post it’s there for people to see, hahaha.

Um well I’ve got myself pretty carved up a few times. Steep slopes, rocks and drops can mean quite a bit of danger.

And Justin Kohse, pfff, all that hype for mainly scenic shots without any meat.

As far as sick muni goes this kid kills it!: My name is Kenneth Bancroft

And sad thing is I’ve never said a muni vid even close to as good as his, except Kris Holm.

I’ll revise my statement then:

I definitely see the potential for danger, but there are only a handful of riders pushing that potential, and none of them make enough videos (as I didn’t even know they existed :p). I agree if there were more younger riders in muni it’d probably be pushed more and more dangerous. Someone should make an epic muni vid… (cough Kenny Bancroft and Mike Parenteau cough)

I think all uni disciplines are great, but I also think most people know that everything is relative when it comes to risk and danger. For example, riding a 36er on flat, smooth ground at a leisurely pace would probably not be considered very dangerous, (unless you’re in traffic!) but riding at 25mph would increase the risk greatly, and falling at that speed could result in severe injury.

Or riding MUni on non-technical terrain can still be loads of fun, but the more technical and steeper it gets, the danger factor increases as well. Just ask Jamey Mossengren, who broke his back when he lost control on a steep, rocky dh section!

Flatland can also present some risks, especially when you are first learning. Big street can really be dangerous, especially when grinding 10 set rails, and things like that. But everything is relative to how much risk you take.

After seeing a front flip off a stack of pallets, the “maxflip”, a 12 stair rail grind, or that McCaskill video, anything less tends to lose its “shock” value, and seems tame by comparison.

MUni, in general, is difficult and very inconvenient to film when you are trying to just get out there and ride, and steep hills and technical terrain don’t look nearly as extreme on camera, as it is in person. But having a really good camera man can definitely help convey the conditions much better than a simple tripod.

I realize that a lot of us like to think of our own particular styles as being the most extreme, or as having the most risk and all that. I think the bottom line is that no matter what type of riding we do, it’s ALL fun, rewarding and a great way to keep fit, and whether you are pushing your uppermost limits or just riding for the sheer love of it, it’s all good!

The last thing I’ll say is that there’s something to be said for longevity, and staying in this game for a long as possible.
I really wonder just how many young riders will still be at it 3, 5, or ten years from now. I know of quite a few younger riders who were so Gung Ho about riding street, trials, flat, ect, but just got to a point where they lost interest and went on to other things.

Who know, maybe they’ll pick it up again when their my age, like I did at 50! I love this sport more now than when I started almost 5 years ago, and I plan on quitting any time soon! The way I look at it, I’m only getting started! :slight_smile:

haha, fixed it. :o

That’s what I’m sayin terry. I hope some of these young kids keep at it for a long time. I think of there are people out there who might be able to vault this into the mainstream it would be kids.like the Pohams or Elite Brilliant because they are still young enough to be able to utilize properly some of the.new.stuff we.will make in the next couple of years. While I think some people that are getting older are amazing and inspiring like Spencer Hochberg or Krisz I would imagine they would either lose interest or not have time with that.grown up.schedule going on. They would fall to the back while those other kids become the super elite.
That.being said, I think its great even for older people to.learn flat. What an extraordinary feeling dancing with your Unicycle, not just on it, but with it, together, as one.

Yeah, I wanted to learn just to see if I could do it. I know I would probably be the oldest person to be doing it, by far, but that’s part of what appeals to me; a new challenge!

I think flatland and freestyle are both very artistic, but without being crazy extreme like big street or hardcore MUni, which I’ve been riding at a pretty high level, (MUni) for my age anyway. But with flat, you can just improvise as you go, with all the different combos, almost like jazz. I can’t dance though, so it might be extra hard to learn, lol! :smiley:

That’s true, but you won’t be so busy that you can’t unicycle at all. You can certainly get a lot of riding done in college. Even with a full time job, you can ride quite a bit. You have to be efficient with your time. If you still want to, you can make time.

You’re a unicyclist. You should be immune to feeling silly.

I can see how it might feel like it’s all or nothing when you’re at the top of your game. It doesn’t have to be that way though. I get about an hour of practice a day. That’s enough time to improve if you’re patient. If you stay in contact with all your unicycling friends and go to the convention every year, I bet you can have fun unicycling for your whole life. It’s a problem of motivation.

+1

:d

Great quote, Aarons, XD.

I agree… I think this is my last serieus unicycle year… Next year I go to college, so I will not be able to unicycle a lot and make much progress…
But I will keep on unicycling, just for fun… + I also really want to keep going to conventions like euc, just because it is awesome =D
And later when I’m getting older, I would like to keep my trial/street skills as much as possible and if I will not be able to do that, I will switch to muni xD
As long as my friends keep on unicycling I don’t have a problem quiting unicycling…
When they stop, I will not stop, but it will get less fun…
I really like to ride with my (best) friends!! + it helps to improve :slight_smile:

Terry … I admire you for still trying new stuff like flatland. Looks hard… I know that I have shied away from it.
To the young ones out there… when you get in your 50s your friends are fewer and far between or busy or have given up on new physical challenges (Golf does not count!!!) so you may find yourself coming back to the Unicycle just for good fun and challenges and a feeling of being young and free and having tight flesh and good hair.
Ahhhhhhhh.

Shug

Indeed Sean, indeed, about when they get old[er]! I’m waiting for my rollo discs from udc, so in the meantime, I’m teaching my brother Gary to ride! He’s never tried riding one in his 62 years, until I brought it to him…on his request btw! Out of the blue he said he wanted to learn, and I was thrilled! I had been bugging him ever since I started, that he should learn, but he didn’t really think it was for him, until now! :slight_smile:

He’s been my biggest fan and encourages me a lot, which I really value, and so he finally decided that he should learn, to experience what I am always telling him is such an awesome sport! Took him all of 15 minutes to do a rev or two in his room! I know he will learn pretty quickly, since he is so determined in whatever he does!

He’s currently in city of hope hospital preparing for a bone marrow transplant, and he’s a real hero to me, going through it all like a champ, and confounding the experts with his amazing positive attitude and the fact that he sailed through chemo with no problems and is now in full remission! :slight_smile:

Really good to hear about your brother going into remission. However, I’m not sure what the hospital would think to him unicycling in his room!

I personally plan on sticking with this until the day I die. Whether I’ll be doing flatland to the end is questionable, I will still ride forever.

I plan on going cross-country one day, so as long as that goal exsists, I have no reason to stop until I do it. :smiley: