Flatland question

How on earth do you learn these things so quickly!!!?? :astonished:

I made a deal with the devil! :wink: I’m nowhere near as good as the stills might imply. But I am going to work as hard and diligently as I know how to make it happen! I may be kidding myself to think I can actually become any good at it, but what the heck, I don’t want to be sitting around at 80, wishing I had at least tried. :o

I think you could get good at flatland! A lot of tricks like rolling wraps are all about practice, and I think almost anyone could get good at them

I agree, although the older one gets, the harder it will become, like the saying about old dog and new tricks. But I’ve never been one to put much stock in those sayings. :o

On another note, I’m thinking that the 5.10 shoes I usually wear for MUni are not the best for flat. They seem way to thick soled and too firm and bulky for flatland. Any shoe suggestions? What about a more flexible soled type shoe, or something like a skate shoe?

I searched around and found these. Would these be a good show for flatland? I really want to have them high like these for ankle protection.

http://www.dogfunk.com/nike-6.0-zoom-mogan-mid-2-skate-shoe-mens

Those shoes are really nice, they’re the only shoes I use and a lot of other flatlanders do too.

I can’t find that nike model anywhere locally, and I’m leery about ordering it online only because I won’t know if they fit until they get here. I did find a similar nike in local stores called the twilight mid.

It looks very similar, and so I thought I could go try that on and if it fits well then I could assume the mogan would fit pretty close to the same? Or maybe just buy the twilight. It’s on sale for almost 1/2 the price if the mogan: Nike Kids NSW Air Essential Mid-Rise Leggings (Little Kids/Big Kids) | 6pm

Actually, I take back what I said, it appears that of the two shoes you linked the twilight model has the bottom that I like, and the mogans you linked don’t. Weird because my shoes are Mogans and have the sole of the twilight… I’d go for the twilights then that you linked…

I just want to know when this first flatland unigeezer video is coming out… Any estimates?

Looking mighty good there Terry! Impressive…

Does wearing that dude-hat help???:slight_smile:
Shug

I’m waiting for my rollo discs which whould get here this week. I’m working on back rolls first to get a feel for moving the wheel with my feet, then static wraps. I’m shooting for a video by my birthday. :slight_smile:

Haha, it’s been COLD lately that’s why the long pants and double layer shirt also. :o

Well, if you want an aswer to your question, all you need to do is head out to a skate park and count them number of skaters over forty; these would be the folks who learned to skate in the heyday of the 70’-80’s. You won’t see any. Same goes for BMX, just not that common with older populations as they have moved on to other things. Snowboarding seems to be the exception :slight_smile:

My son is an excellent rider, kills it on a muni, but after two years of riding his interest has wained. He started high school this year, has lots of homework, none of his friends ride uni, so he spends his free time playing Magic and goes for the occassional muni or bike ride. Meanwhile, I cont to ride 2-3x a week :stuck_out_tongue:

The injury thing is a real problem for me as an older rider. It seems like I am almost always nursing a broken finger or two; currently L index finger and R pinkie. So armor, stitching my glove fingers together, and being cautious.

Nice looking work on flat uni Terri :slight_smile:

There some older riders from the “dogtown” era, who still skate bowls but they are definitely the exception. You’re right about the injury factor with older riders. Our bones break easier, and heal much slower, muscles aren’t as resilient, our bodies not nearly as flexible (in most cases) and older riders generally are much more aware of the possibility of getting hurt.

Not that flatland is any more dangerous than riding down super steep, rocky terrain, or doing big drops, etc.; it’s just different, and something totally new for me. Because it’s completely new, uncharted territory, I think the chance of getting hurt by falling on the uni during a trick, or onto my tailbone, or faceplanting is a real concern. I also realize that part of learning flatland will likely mean a LOT of bails. Hopefully none too serious! :o

Here’s me new flatland shoes! Nike Twilights.

Terry , 2 possibilities, the first , you have a lot of free time and pratice A LOT! to learn all this skills , the second , your are the fastest flat learner !
I spent 2 days for learning a simple leg wrap , and 1 day to learn more or less how to tire hop , and you do more tricks in less time! ok you have a fan haha

I always manage to catch myself with my hands before faceplanting, and tailbone collisions have been avoided by landing on my elbows (laying flat on my back with my elbows under me, hurts like hell but better than a tailbone injury I guess). Falling onto the unicycle though, is definitely the worst. Once, I somehow managed to fall, hard, with my upper thigh going into the frame and all my weight on top of it, and I couldn’t walk for a day, limped for at least like 4 days, and couldn’t ride for like a week. 4/5 times you’ll be able to stay mostly on your feet though when you fall, especially in the beginning, so you should be good.

Shoes are looking sick!

Haha thanks Eric, but I really haven’t learned much yet! I wish I could learn what you did in such a short time! I think it will take me many, many months to do even a few tricks with any consistency and flow.

The great riders make it look easy, but I know it’s anything but easy! Of course there are some who take to it easier than others, and seem have a natural “affinity” for it, while others really have to work extra hard at it. I fall in to the latter category, and then some. :o

haha ,relax you will get veeeeery good at flatland i know it :slight_smile: i did a trhead talking about the learning time take a look cheers!

Ok, I changed my mind about learning! :astonished: :wink:

They look really cool but they kinda hurt my feet, so I’m wearing them in the house to hopefully break them enough that they’ll be comfortable. If not, I can take them back within 30 days. :o

I ordered a pair of these too! :smiley:

orisis2.jpg

osiris.jpg

You should be good for a least one summer with that! :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously, Flatland destroys shoes, my shoes are already dead within 2 months. I’m going to buy 5.10 soles and stick them under my shoes though. Hopefully the 5.10 soles will last longer!