Flatland question

Well, 5.10’s are awesome for MUni and super grippy, but don’t you want a more flexible and a lighter shoe for flatland?

I dont want the whole 5.10 shoe, I only want the sole so I can stick it under my Vans! Also, my mom dont want to buy me new shoes… I detroyed them too fast for her:(

Yeah that might be a good idea I know you can buy the 5.10 sole kit and glue them on. I think you would have to somehow remove the old worn out sole first though, right? What part of flatland makes shoes wear out so fast? (All of it? haha)

doing crankrolls repeatedly does it for me, it just pretty much digs a hole in the soles.

I’ve had a pair of globe skate shoes with this sole for about 8 months and there’s no sign of them giving up for a while. They’re by far the best shoes I’ve used for unicycling.

I still dont know how to repair my shoes, but I guess you’re right! I think the destroying shoe part of flatland is pretty much everything, I know that rolls are really bad for them, but maybe wider cranks aren’t that bad (I used my Tensiles alot for flatland) but there’s also bad landings (alot in my case!). I’m not a pro at flatland, and I know that I’m a shoe destroyer no matter what, maybe someone else can explain why. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I can see that. Maybe rollos will help not only in learning, but by giving more surface area for the shoes.

They look nice, what model are they? I saw these but the soles are pretty much like all the rest. The soles on yours look like they might last longer, as do the nike twilight soles.

I’ve worn out the soles on three pair of 5.10 high impact shoes over the past 3-4 years, but I guess that’s not so bad considering how much I ride! So that’s like one pair per year. I think the 5.10 resole kit comes with instructions.

Yeah rolls hate shoes.

My current shoes (Nike 6.0 Mogan 2, cost $35-40) that I’ve been riding 3-4 months on the left, new shoes that I’ll ride in soon (same but different colorway) on the right.

The pair in the picture are Globe Vices. I think a few of their models have that sole.
Here’s the condition of mine after approx 8 months

Those look like the nike twilight.

cool shoes and they look like they’re wearing very well!

Well, after LOTS of searching and researching, and trying on LOT of different skate shoes, I finally found one that is SUPER comfy, fits perfectly true to size, and is much more flexible that the nikes I had (and returned). They are the Vans SK8 hi fleece! Amazingly comfortable right out of the box. A close second is the half cab, but those are a lot heavier.

sk8.jpg

Today i Painted my old yellow handball shoes ,turned in dark purple shoes haha for a while is the best one i have to flatland! , He has an unevenness in the middle of the sole (a detail of tennis)
and it sucks, sometimes slip because of this unevenness, it is like a litlle step! I really need a skateboard shoes :frowning:

landed my first backroll today! Took a lot of tries but I finally got it. Makes me realize that’s it’s possible to learn this stuff, but also that it’s total baby steps right now! :o

today a get a terry inspiration of fast learning haha and did a very consistant 30 tire hops !

just a Image to illustrate :smiley:

I can do that but only maybe 2-3 hops so far haha. I want to be able to jump to the tire like that from a 90 spin, and be able to land back on the pedals.

Btw, I just got my new Van SK8 Hi Fleece skate shoes today. Completely fleece lined feels as soft as a slipper! (from zappos.com. They are a GREAT company and they gave me free overnight shipping and no tax on this and every time I order!)

These are the most amazingly comfortable shoes I have EVER worn, totally blow away the nike twilights I had before, imo. My next pair will be the Vans Half cab pro.

Myself dont have money to spend in a new shoes , so i get um day and rebuild my old handball shoes sewed some holes and painted! here it is the before and after! for a while is good , but i have to get skate shoes , becaus of the sole I need one that is straight and rigid

Those look like new! Good job fixing them that’s a good idea and saves money!

Just got another new pair for FL. These are Vans “Bash Vulc Mids”. They just came out in November. I wanted a second pair so I could alternate shoes and make them last longer. :smiley:

My apologies for getting to this late, but I wanted to thank Terry for starting this thread and rekindling my interest in flat. I just turned 40 and one of my goals for the coming year is to bone up on my skills and make significant progress. When I got my first uni a year and a half ago I participated in some OUT games and they were really fun. I practiced every day for about two hours from October (2009) to March (2010). After that time I started playing uni bball and riding muni and giraffe but still got in 4-8 hours of other practice a week. But I traded in my trials unicycle for a freestyle one (way better for bball) so all my latest practice has been on a narrow, high-psi tire and short cranks. I just ordered a K1 and I’m rededicating myself to the kind of practice I used to do, trying my hand at flatland tricks.

Terry, this is an old post, but I am wondering how it’s gone with flatland? I saw this post a year ago, which kind of discouraged me from spending real time learning some of these tricks.

Since I took back up unicycling last year, I’ve been consistently obsessed with watching flatland videos, though, and finally at Nationals I was able to see it live. I loved seeing Eli Brill et. al.

It’s my favorite to watch. It’s got the guts of street/trials with the art of freestyle. I absolutely love it.

However, I am 40, have three kids a full-time job etc. so I have to really make time to practice. I manage maybe 15 to 20 mins a day at lunch etc. apart from my commute on the 36 and occasional muni rides. I am not an expert unicyclist by any means. I consider myself about intermediate. I can ride backward comfortably, ride and idle one-footed, hop, ride SIF, hop SIF, wheel walk (not great but a bit at this point) and do decent stand-stills.

BTW, my first foray into flatland has begun. I am starting to get consistent at 180 jump mounts. In the next few days I am going to start working on 180s SIF (on the grass)

Am I the only other 40+ year old out there with this dream of being just like Eli Brill and Spencer Hochberg, but with a few more gray hairs:)

I really enjoyed flatland too. But watching Max Schulze perform trials blew my mind. But at 45 I know I’m achier slower and less flexible than I was 25 years ago. There is so much I want to try but the voice in my head keeps shouting " Hey Glenn don’t do something stupid!"
But a few tricks like leg seat wraps look too cool to not try.

I think I saw you at the UDC trailer with your son. You were busy doing business. I might have had my red Lab dog with me depending on what day that was.

Glenn