Different dismounts

Ok, ok, I lost!!!

Now I realize how hilariously funny this all was. I forgot, again, to think horny. Always thought unicyclists would think about unicycles first and sex second. (How should I interpret, now, my wife giving me my first unicycle for Christmas? Did she want me to learn different types of mount?)

I think she meant you should mount something/one else…

Make up your own joke about 20 inches here.:smiley:

Some names for mounts are jokes by themselves now. Just imagine the leg wrap mount or the jump mount.

Looking at the threads intention, I have, though, come to the conclusion, that no one seems to have classified different dismounts.
I wonder if this would make an interesting project.

I would be fascinated to see what anyone could come up with. I’d be up for trying some different dismounts if I could think of any!

I might have a bit of a play next time I’m out, although I expect they’d basically all be for show rather than practicality.

I don’t think I’ve had the desire to do that dismount since the early 1980s, specifically that one parade, and haven’t seen my partner in that stupidity, Mark “Shakey” Schaefer, also since the 1980s. I’ll be glad to help if someone wants to “develop” it. :slight_smile:

We do talk about our crotches quite a bit here, don’t we?

I think we tend to think about unicycles first and sex later. :sunglasses:

Have I mentioned that I have a 45"?

It’s so big you can’t put it in a Volkswagen.

It’s so big I have to keep it in the garage.

Not even through the tailgate?

The Lycra dismount

I once perfected the ‘Lycra’ dismount - one of my most memorable dismounts

There I was unicycling along the promenade, when I spotted this attractive young lady jogger in tight Lycra shorts

Whilst busy watching her lovely bottom, I hit a pile of sand and did the perfect cartoon style dismount. I flew forward & finished up spread eagled, face down, on the pavement! My glasses had flown off and I heard this frail voice (it was an old lady) asking ‘are you alright young man?’ (I was in my late fifties at the time). I replied, I will be fine if I could find my glasses, a young lad retrieved them & handed them to me. I could then see my ‘helpers’ & thanked them

I had a few grazes & bruises, but was not badly hurt - I still laugh when I think about it!

I also accomplished that dismount a couple of years ago! I was going far too fast on my 36 because of the ‘Lycra’ distraction. I initially landed on my feet first but because of the speed of the UPD I was thrown forward and finally landed with my knees scraping the concrete… So far, the worst UPD I’ve had on the 36…The ‘Lycra’ dismount is always lurking! :wink:

I’d also have the Lycra when driving a car, but so far I’ve been able to keep disasters at bay. There have been some close calls though. Such distractions shouldn’t be allowed to happen :smiley:

I used to think that the person who invented Lycra should have got a Nobel prize, but then old people started wearing it & I changed my mind :slight_smile:

Crikey! Sexism and agism on one thread. It’s political incorrectness gone mad. :smiley:

I try my best:)

I’ve now tried to define the concept of (non-UPD) „dismount“ for myself and also defined some subcategories.

Dismount:
Predefined set of moves resulting in
(1) a controlled steady state of movement
or
(2) a steady position
of the rider and the unicycle such that not all the weight of the rider is supported by the unicycle.

In my opinion one should differentiate five levels of control of dismounts and UPDs
(I) intentional dismount: the position and/or time of dismount is chosen by the rider. The unicycle is under control.
(II) forced dismount: the position/time of dismount is determined by external factors, but the dismount is controlled by the rider. The unicycle is under control.
(III) controlled UPD: the position/time of dismount is determined by the course of riding, but the set of movements is predefined completely. The unicycle remains under control.
(IV) partially controlled UPD: some moves during the dismount are standardized reactions to avoid injury. The unicycle is not under control.
(V) uncontrolled UPD: the final position of rider and unicycle are not influenced by the rider.

My intention for this thread was to get to know some of the category-(I)-dismounts (intentional dismounts) you all use.
Mine are: the „step off to the back“ (elegant dismount), and the step off the front while grabbing the uni at the rear bumper - in most cases to walking whilst pushing to uni alongside of me.

The only category-(II)-dismount I use is the step-off-front-and-grab-the-uni.

The controlled UPDs (III) are of the same type, as I have automatized the movement of grabbing the rear bumper.

Partially controlled UPDs (category (IV) for me mostly involve running out a suddenly stopping uni without bothering to catch it. In the early learning days I had some controlled judo-rolling UPDs.

Category-(V)-dismounts can be the most spectacular ones (face plant) or silly looking ones (butt plant). The butt plant is rather frequent one for me as I am in the learning phase of backwards riding.

Reviewing the intention of this thread I find it would also be informative to know how other unicyclists cope with categories (II),(III) and (IV), though my prime interest is still the intentional dismount (category (I))

I suppose you could have more or less categories. For me, there are roughly three: 1. Controlled dismount. 2. UPD landing on feet. 3. UPD landing on another part of your body.

I remember, as a beginner, reading that level 1 freestyle required a controlled dismount off the back. I thought, wow, I can’t do that. I’m not sure exactly when I started dismounting off the back, but I think it was around the time I got my first 20" and started practicing idling and backwards riding.

Slipping off the pedals could be a class of UPD by itself. The consequences are pretty unpredictable, but the result can be falling onto the unicycle and/or falling backwards onto the butt/back/head. Learning to grab the seat helped me keep the connection to the uni, it keeps the uni from shooting out from under me, and helps me pull the unicycle clear away during an awkward dismount. In some ways, the beginning phase is the most dangerous developmental phase of unicycle riding.

Onewheelhenni, you say you have a lot of falling on ur butt now that ur learning to ride backwards. I thought also with backwards ur mostly land on ur feet. I landed on my butt while learning to ride freewheel but that is because pedaling backwards doesnt stop the wheel.

I agree with ElpuebloUnido the 3 classes of dismount to keep it simple. And trying diff ways of controlled dismounts keeps it interesting. Part of that is also jumping off onto another uni someone holds as I saw in some youtube vidz, though that way not worrying what happens to the uni you leave behind.

Outside of freestyle competitions I don’t see any reasons to categorize dismounts/UPDs. Here is how the IUF rulebook describes it:

As to different “artistic” dismounts: Aside from a few noteable exceptions (front-/backflip dismounts, brake coast dismount), I don’t think they look really good. But I don’t like different mounts either, so take that opinion with the appropriate grain of salt… It’s just that doing a trick starting with riding and ending with riding is much harder and much cooler, and I guess I prefer that.

Many years ago, I jokingly posted 4 categories of dismount.

UPD1 in which the rider lands on his or her feet and is able to stop the unicycle hitting the ground.

UPD 2 in which the rider lands on her or his feet but is unable to stop the unicycle hitting the ground.

UPD 3 in which the rider is unable to remain on two feet and the unicycle hits the ground.

Ballistic UPD, in which the rider follows a ballistic curve before hitting the ground and, if still able to walk, has to do so for some distance to retrieve the unicycle.

In the case of a ballistic UPD, it is not uncommon for the rider’s helmet to penetrate the bush when he comes off.

Planned dismounts fall into 3 very simple categories:
Stop and drop off the front.
Stop and step off the back. Preferred as it is more elegant and arguable safer.
Some clever sh*t that you spent some time practising when you could have been riding it somewhere instead.:slight_smile:

Yes, slipping off the pedals is a UPD nightmare! After the ‘slipping’ one foot usually gets trapped by one of the pedals and you fall backwards on your back. Nothing you can do but break the fall and prey you will come out without too many injuries…

The opposite is also annoying when ur foot stays stuck on the pedals, so you can’t land on your feet. Somehow my leg is then viced between my body and the pedal.