Custom Grab Handles, post what you got!

Pablo, I have photos for you but no mail address, can you PM me ?

I am building a run of these handles, see my posting:

http://http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91594

This is a limited offer, for sale at cost, firm committment required, send me a pm if you want one.

Ben, I would be interested in one if you can get it down to about $50 I wouldn’t need the saddle bumper since I have a few extra.

Your welder/fabricator could probably make some plates cheaper than the KH ones

And David wants his without the bar ends! Which part of no exceptions did you all not understand!!

Okay, I guess what it’ll come down to is each person will have to ask for the parts they need, so:

Package one: mount only (~$45)
Package two: mount, freestyle handle (~$54)
Package three: mount, freestyle handle, bar ends. (~#$74)

Note that prices could be lower if I get a deal on the parts or fabrication.

Hey Ben, I can’t get the above link to work. Can you direct me please?
Andy

He’s just got an extra http// in there. It works if you take out everything before www. Or: Custom Grab Handle Mount

Nurse Ben Handle - First Impressions

I received my handle mount from Nurse Ben today and had some time to install and test it tonight. The mount is surprisingly light - the entire setup (plate, bolts, bar end, grip, stubby bar end brake mount, and freestyle bumper) weighs 4oz more than the plastic handle, inner tube it was wrapped with, and brake mount I was previously using.

The tubing welded to the plate seemed a bit softer than a handlebar as it got really chewed up when installing the bar ends.

Since I alternate my holding hand as I ride, my biggest concern was that the bar end angle would be comfortable for one hand but not the other. In actual use this turned out to not be a non-issue and the grip is quite comfortable with either hand.

A took a quick ride around the yard and neighborhood and I was very impressed by the additional control given by the handle position. The feel when hopping, climbing, and anytime when you are pulling up or pushing down on the handle is greatly improved. I am looking forward to giving it a real test on the trail.

I also got my Nurse Ben handle mount over the weekend (thanks Ben!). I installed it today and took it for its first ride.

Until now I’ve only ridden with the grab handle that comes stock on the KH freeride saddle; I’m really impressed with how much better having a bar to grab onto is. More comfortable to hold, more control and power when pulling on it, easier to manipulate the brake lever. I won’t go back.

My only concern with the new handle is crashing - it looks a lot more vulnerable to damage than the plastic bumper, and looks like it could do more damage to me if it punches me in the ankle. I was limping for a couple weeks after the plastic bumper hit me hard on the same ankle, twice in one ride… but so far the only crashes were on dirt, with no damage done.

As far as the actual mount, I had the same issue with the soft aluminum getting chewed up, exacerbated by trying three different sets of bar ends to see which I liked best. I did try to expand the bar end clamp to reduce the damage, but it’s only limited help.

Other than that, I really like the mount. It makes it really easy to put the handle, and the brake, just where I want them. The previous brake mount only gave me limited fore-and-aft adjustment; now I can move it back and forth, up and down, and adjust the left-right angle to match my grip. Being able to angle the grab handle to match my grip is nice, too.

Here’s a photo of what I ended up with. I might switch out the rubber grip for something that doesn’t want to twist around on the bar end quite so much; I tried to clamp it down with some twist ties. I left the brake mount longer than necessary, but once I’m convinced I have it where I want it, I’ll trim it down.

Bottom line, I like it a lot, glad I got in on Nurse Ben’s offer, and thanks much to him for making it all happen.

Hmm, picture didn’t post, and now I can’t edit it… so here’s try #2 at the picture!

Nurse ben mount.jpg

3M makes a cloth electrical tape that is rubberized, not stretch, it is 3/4" wide, gets better with use as the rubber impregnated in the cloth smears across the cloth, super grippy even when wet, I wrap all my grips with this tape. I can’t remember which model # I use, so I’ll look at the tape when I get home. The tape allows you to have a smaller diameter grab vs using a rubber bike grip.

3M Temflex Tap:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Aerospace/Aircraft/Prod_Info/Prod_Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20SOG5000000_nid=GSDG7M7QSRbe3R0J9QPN38gl

I wrap from the clamp forward, putting the final wrap into the bar end, then I use a bar end plug to cap the end, on top of which I add the Coup de Resistance:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10845367&ab=LAXLN_MensLacrosse2_Accessories15&cp=4406646.4413887.4414020.12587231

This little rubber tip is a perfect fit on the bar end, also serves to dampen impacts on UPD, guards the brake lever, and provides an end grip/stop for your hand.

FYI: Be carefull about overtightening the bar end, grease your clamp bolt to prevent stripping the bar end threads. I have only had problems with breaking bolts, not sure if it’s because the bolts are cheap, so don’t be a gorilla like me and don’t adjust them on the trail :roll_eyes:

I have one extra mount remaining…send me a PM if you want it.

I weigh 250 and my T7 Handle rails would bend easily when putting my weight into it or hopping. A little cad work and a friend with a mill…<p>

Jamdallen, that’s a heavy looking contraption. How about building something like a Y frame, then you’d have all your weight on a frame section.

I think the seat/post mounted handles hit a certain limit, then you start breaking stuff, like the post, the seat base, the seat…

Ben, the bracket does look chunky and heavy in the picture, but it only weighs about 200 grams. I have 10 minutes of CAD work and zero dollars into this so it was the cheap and quick solution at the time. I thought about the seat post breaking too, but surprisingly it’s held up through two years of big man abuse.

An $850 uni should have been engineered correctly to be strong as an ox in the first place! The knightrider is quite delicate, but at least it’s heavy. One of these days I’ll replace the frame and handle with something better…But for now this works and I have money for other unicycles!

-jd

Yeah, the handle has a history of failing, so it could use a redesign, not sure what year you own, maybe they have improved them since your was made?

I think mine is a 2009 model. I was looking at the new knightriders on UDC and they now come with a “shadow handle.” It looks like a stronger design. But the uni frame itself looks the same, so I imagine it still flexes a lot - which is a bummer.

a prototype of the muni T(turtle)-bar:

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

Nice bar turtle, I like how it’s closer to the seat than the KH; I rode a KH T bar for a little while.

I should dig up pictures of all the setups I have taken pictures of and write reviews for each but am just going to put in my blurb about the handle mount that Ben sent me (with a few other goodies).

I set up the handle with a mid-length aluminum bar end I found in the back of my vehicle. I fiddled around with different angles and positions and ended up ditching the freestyle bumper to give my hand a bit more room and sliding the bar end all the way up the mount.

I was a bit surprised that I found it a bit more comfortable if the bar end was angled slightly to the right (my grab hand), then the tip curves down and to the left. It was indeed a tight fit getting the bar end on and had to prop it open to get it on and positioned. I measured the stub 3 times with a digital calliper and came up with 22.30mm each time, which would explain it.

Getting around to using it I did a easy 5km loop across the lake and back on the snowmobile trails. It was comfortable and sturdy. definitely the lightest handle I have ever used other than the stock grab handle, and very stiff.

Overall I really like it. very simple and un-obtrusive. Where it really shined was climbing up the lakeshore cranking hard. It didn’t budge and is in a great neutral position allowing the force to to strait to the pedals.