Custom Grab Handles, post what you got!

Lets try that again-
My trails are still snow covered, but I have had a few road shoulder rides using the bar mount, and add my initial impressions. The mount provides an extremely solid connection to the bar, and I immediately noticed the additional stiffness over the stock plastic base/plastic handle. I tried two versions of a handle. The first was a converted MTB quill stem with the handlebar clamp mounted to the post, and the quill (modified and padded) serving as the handle. My goal was to come closer to the GB4/Reeder handle position. Since the handlebar clamp was too large at 25.4, even with extensive shimming, this didnā€™t work out, but showed potential. I then mounted the recommended bar end, which gave a fantastically stiff and connected feeling. Iā€™m 100% sold on the stiffener/post for a mounting position, but still want a handle with a better angle than a bar end can provide. Iā€™d love to see a remake of the GB4/Reeder handles (http://www.gb4mfg.com/products.html) but setup to mount to the stiffener/post platform. Better review to follow when trails open ā€¦edg

Hey Guys,
I received my handle from Ben (thanks Ben).
I have not had a chance to mount it yet.
2 questions:

1. Did you guys buy the adjustable bar-end that Ben mentioned,
    and if so do you have a link to it?

2. What angle of the bar-end do you find the most beneficial?

Thanks!

Sorry, I see there is info on this on previous posts!

Here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tranz-X-MTB-Adj-Long-Type-Bike-Bar-Ends-Black-/360380894429?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e8600cdd

Did anyone try these?
And what angle did you settle on?

Thanks

You guys seen this handle?

http://mountainuni.com/collections/seat-and-handle-collection/products/wallis-designs-carbon-fiber

After riding with Nurse Benā€™s handle setup for a while I began to wonder if the brake couldnā€™t be mounted directly to the bar-end grab handle. This turns out to work well as it looks cleaner, drops the weight of the secondary stubby end (2 oz) plus extra tubing, and puts the brake lever in a better position.

While I was at it shortened the bar-end by about an inch, being sure to keep a good amount of material extending past the curve as this area is really helpful when climbing. I also swapped the grip for a slightly longer one.

Before and after pics below:

EP1001-5619_handle-old-800.jpg

EP1001-6101_handle-new-800.jpg

1 Like

David - that looks pretty good. What bar end are you using now?

I need to order a different pair. I got the Performance Forte OS ones, which are too big in diameter to mount the brake lever on.

Tom, these are a generic aluminum bar end that I bought used on eBay. Originally I was also leaning towards an oversize bar end to give a more comfortable grip but ended up going with whatever I could find cheap. It seems to me that pretty much any non-oversized, non-stubby, curved bar end should work.

ok - I bought the Bontrager bar ends. Hope they do the trick.

Nobody carries a selection of bar ends any more, so I canā€™t go to a store and take a look. A lot of the ones that are out there are oversized (Profile, Performance Forte) and many others donā€™t list enough information in their specs to know if they are.

Iā€™d really like mine not to have any ā€œtwistā€ on the curved part of the bar end, so I can use it either right-handed or left-handed. I switch hands a lot.

The setup you have looks the best to me. It puts the brake lever where I want it. The stubby bar end mount below the long one puts it a bit too far away and too far back.

Those Bontrager bar ends look pretty similar to mine.

Before actually trying the handle my biggest concern was that the bar end angle would be comfortable for one hand but not the other. The ends I have do twist/angle at the bend, but I donā€™t find this discourages me from using either hand. I tend to mount and hop with my left hand on the handle, climb and descend/brake with my right hand, and turn with either hand.

I used the bar end that angled to the left after the curve (i.e. it would be the right hand bar end if mounted on a bike), but if had a second mount Iā€™d probably use the other bar end instead of buying a new set; I donā€™t think it makes much difference in practice.

Hey Tom, they work fine switching hands, though the curve is angled to one side.

There WAS an adjustable bar end you can get on Ebay, those can be set to straight and would be your best bet. I like mine, though I broke one of the adjustment bolts off in one of the handles, so only one is functional.

If you can find a set, Iā€™d suggest changing the adjustment bolt to something hardened, otherwise they are a pretty nice set up.

Funny thing, those bar ends were all over Ebay just a few months ago, now I canā€™t find a single set, hmmmm.

Iā€™m in the process of buying a welder so I can make my own :slight_smile:

Iā€™m more afraid of the adjustable bar end breaking than I am of the curve. I plan on doing a lot of drops with this thing. :slight_smile:
Any mechanism in there just makes it weaker than it would be otherwise.

I threw on an old 22.2mm welded bar end for now and youā€™re right, the curve isnā€™t that big a deal. Iā€™d still prefer one that bends straight down instead of to one side, but itā€™s a minor issue.

Iā€™m really liking having the brake lever mounted right on the bar end. The other way made it too big a reach for my fingers.

Hi Nurse Ben are you planning on making another run of handles or do you have any left of your first run.

I am interested in one if you still have any left.

Davey

Sorry, when I made that run of handles it cost me a lot more than expected, so I am turning it over to any interested party willing to make them.

If someone had decent aluminum welding skills and a drill press/mill, this would be a nice project, esp if you were to make your own accessory handles.

I sent a sample off to UDC, not sure theyā€™ll do much with it, but the idea is out there.

FYI, for those folks looking to buy bar end son the cheap, take a look at Ebay, I scored four sets of used bar ends, two mid length and two longs, all for $16 delivered :slight_smile:

I really need to get my mind out of the gutterā€¦

That is beautifulā€¦ I may have to snag one of those, do any of yā€™all have experience with that handle? I like that it offers the ability to use a bar or normal type handle.

Nah. . . Iā€™m considering putting one of Brycerā€™s Black C*ck handles on my Big One. :smiley:

NurseBen grab handle

I put a NB handle on my 26" Oracle. I have a KH T-bar and a Shadow on my other {see autosig} unicycles. The NB handle is by far the most sturdy. No give whatsoever. It really feels like a ā€œpartā€ of the unicycle rather than a flimsy afterthought. Good stuff Ben! (BTW, did you cancel your PhotoBucket account? All your images are gone.)

I always brake with my left hand. My right hand is for balance. Iā€™m using the standard bar ends that came with the Shadow Handle. They arenā€™t stubby (like the ones on my KH T-Bar) but I really do wish they were longer (like the ones in the picture below, only straight). Even with the snub-nose front saddle bumper it feels a little short. Perhaps a grip with an end on it would keep my hand from slipping off the front so much. What I really want is something like what Brycer made Tirving with a Derlin ball on the end. So, how about it Brycer? Can you make something like his that attaches (standard bar end attachment) to the NB mount? Like mine but slightly longer and dead straight. Or, does anyone know where I can purchase longer straighter bar ends? Iā€™ve shopped eBay but all the straight ones are shorter and all the long ones are bent. (thatā€™s what she said)

I think that longer bent bar ends also tend to have longer straight sections before the bend. On my handle the length of the straight part is a bit longer than the width of my palm, which allows the outside of my hand to butt up against the curve for support and feels very secure.

David, your wish is my command:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-BIKE-BICYCLE-ALUMINUM-MTB-HANDLE-BAR-BAR-ENDS-SILVER-BAREND-NEW-/110757766971?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D360468614117%26ps%3D54

I run this bar end on my 36er muni, they are quite durable, a tad longer than the longest fixed bar ends, you can completely rotate the bar end on the mount, so either handle is useable for right or left. I run mine straight, just like you wanted.

Ooh, and they have different colors :wink:

Are you happy now? :smiley: