Coming to UTAH (SLC), Aug 19-20, who can ride?

The wife and daughter and already on the road, scheduled to be in SLC a few days before me so they can get her moved in; she’s helping with oreintation, such a good girl :wink:

I’ll be packing up Weds, flyng out Thursday am, free to ride Friday and Saturday, might bring the 26guni though I worry that the gorilla baggae handlers will do it damage. Last time I flew into SLC my dynafits ski bindings were broken, and the skis were packed in a plastic ski tube, so how they did that is anyones’s guess.

Can’t wait to ride in dry weather, it has been so dang humid out here, though temps are finally starting to drop, which helps.

Here’s my cell number:

eight six five - four eight three - eight seven three five

Ben

I probably can’t ride on Friday, but I’m in for Saturday.

I’m in for one or both!

Sorry I missed this thread until now! I haven’t been checking the RSU forum much lately.

Bert, what time are you looking to start on Friday morning? And how about Saturday?

The Saturday route - does it start up there on the Guardsman’s Pass road where the Great Western Trail hooks up with it on the switchback? Then across past Desolation Lake, Dog Lake, and into Mill Creek? I would guess that is at least 10 miles, maybe more…and some pretty intense ups and downs! Or is there another way around that is more level??

I don’t know if I am up for that level of ride. But you have pushed me before and I made it OK :smiley:

I will try to give you a call tomorrow evening (Tuesday).

Brian

It make more sense to do a mellow ride one day and a harder ride one day, I’m in good shape, but there’s only so much juice in my legs and lungs :wink:

A nice shuttled long downhill would be fun, anything like that available? I think my wife would do the shuttling.

I will probably bring the 29er, but I have long cranks, so climbing is not a problem.

The Wasatch Crest ride to Millcreek canyon that UPD in Utah is suggesting is a long mostly downhill ride. Exactly what you’re looking for, I think.

Never fear! There is Method to my Madness…

Ben,

Not to worry. Both rides will essentially be shuttled downhills, and much of Friday’s will be almost flat (except for the downhill bits). It would be great if your wife can help with the shuttling, but we can chat about the details when I call you.

Friday’s ride can be adjusted from 3 to 9 miles, with 7 being what I thought would be most fun, and 9 including a flat 1 mile out-and-back to a place overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. (See pics at the end of this entry: Pictures of your latest ride - #5120 by UPD_in_Utah) There are a few short technical sections and those can easily be walked. There are, however, some patches of loose gravely rock that keep you focused.

Saturday’s ride will be 13 miles on a wonderful, rolling trail that follows the ridge between Salt Lake City & Park City. Most of that trail is smooth dirt with mellow grades – mostly down. There is only one big half-mile climb (up a gravel road to “Puke Hill”) that is about 1.3 miles from the start. I know I’ll be walking that because I can’t ride it (UP!). My 10-mile (out-and-back) reconnaissance ride last Sunday convinced me it will be an ideal place for us to ride – but it will take roughly 4 hours to complete. Hence, for Saturday, plan on bringing a Camelback w/ 1.5 to 2.0 L H2O, some food (Cliff Bar, etc.), a jacket, shell or windshirt, sunscreen, and maybe a small bottle of sports drink or some e-tabs … and, of course, a camera!

(Note to Brian: We will stay on the Great Western Trail into Millcreek Canyon, rather than descending to Desolation Lake only to have to reascend to Dog Lake. It should be a gradual down on pretty good trail. There are a few rocky bits, but I’ll be we walk less than 1.5 miles of the total 13.)

All for now…

-Bert

Hey Bert, I looked at the Western Divide trail on line, looks like fun, relaly excited to get out of the humidity, though it looks like I’m bringing the heat; today in SLC it’s 85, the rest of the week it’s supposed to be mid 90’s :astonished:

I’m off to ride the 29er, hadn’t been on it since I got the 26guni, gonna see how she does, may end up bringing the guni…one more day of work, yeah!

Trail details and simple map

Here is a link to a MTB site with details on the Wasatch Crest trail. Near the bottom of the page is a simple map of the trail for those of us here in Utah that are familiar with the area. At first I thought we had to go down into the basin of Desolation Lake, then back up the brutal climb to Dog Lake, but it is clear that the main (Great Western, I think) trail goes along the crest. Yeah :slight_smile:

This site has some great photo’s:

And this is another simple map:

This will be a big ride for me, and my only concern is that I will be the boat anchor slowing y’all down. But I am up for it and will do my best to keep up with your pace. As long as you are willing to wait for me once in a while :smiley:

I have ridden with Bert several times, and exchanged messages on a few threads with both Ben and Tom. Really looking forward to riding with you!

Brian

Dude, if I was ina hurry I’d ride a bike :wink:

No worries, this is all for fun riding, taking in nature, so thoug I like to ride hard, I also like to take breaks to drink and recover.

I rode the 29er last night, had so much fun, it’s so much lighter and quicker than the 26guni. So it’ll be the muni I bring to Utah, only change is going down in crank length to 160’s (from 165’s). I guess the nice spinning on my guni (150’s) has me spoiled, now hopefully I’ll still climb okay :astonished:

24 hour count down…

plans, etc.

Ditto on taking time to enjoy the scenery, wildflowers, cool breezes, clean air, etc.! Brian, I know you’ll be able to keep up just fine. Please do join us.

Ben, I was planning on riding my 29er with 165mms and probably the Ardent 2.4, so we should be well matched. Brian’s got an N26 and I’m not sure what wheel Tom will bring. Spare tubes for all would be advisable – just in case.

The air in the valley is pretty yucky today due to wildfires out West, but we’ll be above that on both rides (esp. Saturday). And while afternoon / evening temperatures in the valley are hitting the 90s, mornings are nice and cool (low 60s), and the ridge-tops stay cool & breezy all day. Indeed, highs at 9,000’ are predicted to be about 70 on Saturday. One slight concern is afternoon T-storms, so it would be best for us to get an early start both days – but especially Saturday, because we will be exposed for quite a long time. I’m thinking that a 7 a.m. start would be appropriate for both days.

When is a good time for me to call you?

-Bert

We should talk on Thursday once I’m in SLC. I have dinner planned with the family that night, then Friday I’m clear to ride. My wife will shuttle us, just need to pick a time and place to meet. We’re driving my daughters RAV4, so plenty of room for people and gear.

Nice ride guys - that was fun. Bert - thanks for organizing. I’m using the railing a lot to get up and down the stairs right now. Legs are hammered.

• Tom

Now if you had a brake…

Fun riding with you guys, awesome day, awesome trail, I’ll be sad to leave.

I’ll get some pics up when I get home.

Fun Day(s) Indeed!

Ben, Tom & Brian - Thanks for a GREAT day on the Crest Trail yesterday. I was pleased to see it come together as it did. :smiley: I too, will post some photos (there are many to pick from).

Tom - Glad to hear we hobbled you … temporarily. :stuck_out_tongue: (Brian made a similar statement in a text message yesterday evening.) Let me know if/when you can get together … if even for an hour … at a school yard, up Millcreek, at Tanner park, at Liberty, wherever.

Ben - Friday on the Pipeline was good fun too. I’m still trying to get used to the 29 off-road & on, and “flying along” behind and in front of you was a great way to do so. Our out-and-back time to the overlook must have been 25% faster than my best for that same ride on my N24. I really am loving the 29er with Ardent 2.4 for trail riding, and yesterday was positive proof of that. It’s so nimble, fast & light. (I picked up my N24 last night while putting away the 29er and I couldn’t believe how heavy it felt.) I suppose there’s only one thing missing: Yep, I’ll probably break down and order a frankenbrake set-up from Bryce. (Of course I don’t want to become weak & dependent, but you seemed to handle your unexpected loss of a brake just fine … except for all the whining about it. :wink: ) Seriously, it was great fun meeting & riding with you, and meeting Karen. I look forward to you next visit and maybe a few tours for turns this Winter. I trust you and Karen made it back home safely … even if she cried bucket on the plane from having to leave “the girl” in Utah. :frowning:

Brian - Way to go man. There is no way I could have done what you did just 10 months after learning to ride. :slight_smile: You should pat yourself on the back for having made such progress and for keeping up just fine on that BIG ride. My only questions is: When do you want to go again?

As for my last-mile equipment failure, I think the Shadow handle took one too many hard knocks with that last UPD, which caused the main bolt to loosen. I disassembled, cleaned & dried the seatpost, saddle base & bolt, before reassembling with blue Locktite. It’s good to go for the next adventure – maybe tomorrow before work? :stuck_out_tongue:

Once again, thanks you guys for a great time and an awesome ride yesterday (and Friday). I’m sure all those Mtn. b*kers can’t stop talking about the 4 crazies on one wheel on the Crest Trail. Who knows, maybe a few of them will be joining us next time. :roll_eyes:

Cheers,

Bert

No doubt, Brian absolutely killed that ride! I swear, Brian’s riding skills improved as the ride wore on, which goes to show that if you want something bad enough, there’s only way to get it: Just Do It!

After such an epic weekend of riding, now I’m thinking about flying out for the Muni Weekend in Auburn, CA :wink:

Anyone?

Thank you guys!

It took me a few days to get out here and post. I gotta admit, that ride was the hardest thing I have done for quite a while, and simply eclipses anything I have done on a uni so far.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think I made a lot of progress, as Ben said, during the ride itself. So I am looking forward to my next muni ride - I just don’t think I will tackle Wasatch Crest Trail for a while :D. But I do see myself doing it again in the future.

This ride, once again, gave me a big boost in confidence. Thanks to all 3 of you for having me along, and for the key points that I can put into my practice over the next while.

Everyone at work just looks at me in disbelief when I tell them about it :astonished: :D.

My quads were fried beyond anything I have done in a very long time, and today was the first day I could walk without pain. Monday at work I was hobbling like an old man. But I took the roadie out this evening for 13 miles and had a nice ride. Even the limited muni riding I have done over the past few weeks, I can tell that my legs are stronger and the roadie is easier to ride at a higher average speed. Sweet! :slight_smile:

Thanks again Bert, Ben, and Tom. This was a great first “BIG” muni ride for me. BTW Tom, I am already starting to work on some of the basic trials things we talked about. I will keep you posted. Bert, I will be in touch for another ride soon. Ben, tell Karen thanks for sharing you with us. :sunglasses:

Brian - just like you, my legs have been jello since the ride. Today is the first day I’ve been able to walk more or less normally.

And likewise - that ride was a huge boost for me. The “spine” and the final descent to the parking lot are the toughest things I’ve ever tried in the world of muni. Can’t wait to go again.

Sounds like an awesome time :sunglasses:

What was the milage and elevation gain/loss?

Avoiding leg pain - I read a while ago of a pro (he did Ironmans if I remember correctly) who would do an ice bath as soon as he could after the workout/race. He would keep all the affected muscles submerged for, I think, 5 full minutes.

Doing a lot of extra stretching helps reduce the pain for me, especially just after, but on the days after helps a bit too.

It was such a fun ride, the only thing I regret was having to come home :frowning:

I rode the other day and it was so hot and humid, took out the 26 gun and found myself wishing for the 29er. I think that big wheel is key for decreasing rolling resistance on rough rides.

If I can manage it, I’ll bring a uni and skis at Thanksgiving, just in case the snow is thin enough that I ride is possible in between sliding :slight_smile:

BTW, my daughter is loving Utah life, oh and the school ain’t bad neither :wink:

Tom, you ride great, and to keep up with all the big wheels on a 24", man that’s some work, no wonder your legs are hammered.

If I was out there, I’d be game for a ride this weekend, maybe up in Ogden, I hear there’s some great riding up there; might be where we end up living in a few years.

The distance was about 13 miles. No idea what the elevation gain and loss were, but plenty and then some for this boy! :slight_smile:

I have heard about the ice bath, but I go the other way and get in hot water or a steam room as soon as I can. Unless you have swelling then I am not sure I understand the bio advantage of the icy plunge. Getting into the heat opens up the capillaries and pulls the waste material out of the muscles so you will be fatigued for the next couple days, but will not experience much of the muscle soreness which is caused by the waste being trapped in the muscle tissue. This has worked for me extremely well for distance running, cycling, and hard muscle workouts. But you have to get into the heat pretty quickly, which I was not able to do after this ride. The stretching and self-massage can also help, but I didn’t do either of these either :frowning:

That would be cool! Then you could just drive home after the ride :wink:

I guess I will need to go to a 29er. Time to sell the 26er and probably the 36er and see if that will get me enough to buy one!