Coming to UTAH (SLC), Aug 19-20, who can ride?

Fun Day(s) Indeed!

Ben, Tom & Brian - Thanks for a GREAT day on the Crest Trail yesterday. I was pleased to see it come together as it did. :smiley: I too, will post some photos (there are many to pick from).

Tom - Glad to hear we hobbled you … temporarily. :stuck_out_tongue: (Brian made a similar statement in a text message yesterday evening.) Let me know if/when you can get together … if even for an hour … at a school yard, up Millcreek, at Tanner park, at Liberty, wherever.

Ben - Friday on the Pipeline was good fun too. I’m still trying to get used to the 29 off-road & on, and “flying along” behind and in front of you was a great way to do so. Our out-and-back time to the overlook must have been 25% faster than my best for that same ride on my N24. I really am loving the 29er with Ardent 2.4 for trail riding, and yesterday was positive proof of that. It’s so nimble, fast & light. (I picked up my N24 last night while putting away the 29er and I couldn’t believe how heavy it felt.) I suppose there’s only one thing missing: Yep, I’ll probably break down and order a frankenbrake set-up from Bryce. (Of course I don’t want to become weak & dependent, but you seemed to handle your unexpected loss of a brake just fine … except for all the whining about it. :wink: ) Seriously, it was great fun meeting & riding with you, and meeting Karen. I look forward to you next visit and maybe a few tours for turns this Winter. I trust you and Karen made it back home safely … even if she cried bucket on the plane from having to leave “the girl” in Utah. :frowning:

Brian - Way to go man. There is no way I could have done what you did just 10 months after learning to ride. :slight_smile: You should pat yourself on the back for having made such progress and for keeping up just fine on that BIG ride. My only questions is: When do you want to go again?

As for my last-mile equipment failure, I think the Shadow handle took one too many hard knocks with that last UPD, which caused the main bolt to loosen. I disassembled, cleaned & dried the seatpost, saddle base & bolt, before reassembling with blue Locktite. It’s good to go for the next adventure – maybe tomorrow before work? :stuck_out_tongue:

Once again, thanks you guys for a great time and an awesome ride yesterday (and Friday). I’m sure all those Mtn. b*kers can’t stop talking about the 4 crazies on one wheel on the Crest Trail. Who knows, maybe a few of them will be joining us next time. :roll_eyes:

Cheers,

Bert

No doubt, Brian absolutely killed that ride! I swear, Brian’s riding skills improved as the ride wore on, which goes to show that if you want something bad enough, there’s only way to get it: Just Do It!

After such an epic weekend of riding, now I’m thinking about flying out for the Muni Weekend in Auburn, CA :wink:

Anyone?

Thank you guys!

It took me a few days to get out here and post. I gotta admit, that ride was the hardest thing I have done for quite a while, and simply eclipses anything I have done on a uni so far.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I think I made a lot of progress, as Ben said, during the ride itself. So I am looking forward to my next muni ride - I just don’t think I will tackle Wasatch Crest Trail for a while :D. But I do see myself doing it again in the future.

This ride, once again, gave me a big boost in confidence. Thanks to all 3 of you for having me along, and for the key points that I can put into my practice over the next while.

Everyone at work just looks at me in disbelief when I tell them about it :astonished: :D.

My quads were fried beyond anything I have done in a very long time, and today was the first day I could walk without pain. Monday at work I was hobbling like an old man. But I took the roadie out this evening for 13 miles and had a nice ride. Even the limited muni riding I have done over the past few weeks, I can tell that my legs are stronger and the roadie is easier to ride at a higher average speed. Sweet! :slight_smile:

Thanks again Bert, Ben, and Tom. This was a great first “BIG” muni ride for me. BTW Tom, I am already starting to work on some of the basic trials things we talked about. I will keep you posted. Bert, I will be in touch for another ride soon. Ben, tell Karen thanks for sharing you with us. :sunglasses:

Brian - just like you, my legs have been jello since the ride. Today is the first day I’ve been able to walk more or less normally.

And likewise - that ride was a huge boost for me. The “spine” and the final descent to the parking lot are the toughest things I’ve ever tried in the world of muni. Can’t wait to go again.

Sounds like an awesome time :sunglasses:

What was the milage and elevation gain/loss?

Avoiding leg pain - I read a while ago of a pro (he did Ironmans if I remember correctly) who would do an ice bath as soon as he could after the workout/race. He would keep all the affected muscles submerged for, I think, 5 full minutes.

Doing a lot of extra stretching helps reduce the pain for me, especially just after, but on the days after helps a bit too.

It was such a fun ride, the only thing I regret was having to come home :frowning:

I rode the other day and it was so hot and humid, took out the 26 gun and found myself wishing for the 29er. I think that big wheel is key for decreasing rolling resistance on rough rides.

If I can manage it, I’ll bring a uni and skis at Thanksgiving, just in case the snow is thin enough that I ride is possible in between sliding :slight_smile:

BTW, my daughter is loving Utah life, oh and the school ain’t bad neither :wink:

Tom, you ride great, and to keep up with all the big wheels on a 24", man that’s some work, no wonder your legs are hammered.

If I was out there, I’d be game for a ride this weekend, maybe up in Ogden, I hear there’s some great riding up there; might be where we end up living in a few years.

The distance was about 13 miles. No idea what the elevation gain and loss were, but plenty and then some for this boy! :slight_smile:

I have heard about the ice bath, but I go the other way and get in hot water or a steam room as soon as I can. Unless you have swelling then I am not sure I understand the bio advantage of the icy plunge. Getting into the heat opens up the capillaries and pulls the waste material out of the muscles so you will be fatigued for the next couple days, but will not experience much of the muscle soreness which is caused by the waste being trapped in the muscle tissue. This has worked for me extremely well for distance running, cycling, and hard muscle workouts. But you have to get into the heat pretty quickly, which I was not able to do after this ride. The stretching and self-massage can also help, but I didn’t do either of these either :frowning:

That would be cool! Then you could just drive home after the ride :wink:

I guess I will need to go to a 29er. Time to sell the 26er and probably the 36er and see if that will get me enough to buy one!

Hey Bryan, I’d hold off selling stuff, a 29er is not all that unless you’re comfortable riding a taller wheel. I did not like the 29er when I rode one after my first year of muni, it was just too much wheel for me to handle, so I rode a 26 until after my second year, then I got another 29er and gradually worked at it until it felt comfortable.

Now when I get on a 26 it feel small, but it is more agile than a 29, which is helpful for doing tech stuff. There are times when a 29er is not so great, like when I was trying to ride on the Spine :o

Not to mention, 36ers can be fun on smooth trails and they are like no other uni. I’m contemplating keeping mine now that I sold the trials.

Definitely keep the smaller wheel. If I could only have one unicycle it would be my KH24. However if I could only have two I’d keep my 36er as well. There is nothing like blasting along the road or easier trails on that enormous wheel!

Patience

OK. Thanks Ben and MuniSano. My biggest challenge has always been patience with myself :). The truth is, in spite of two big crashes on the 36er I still want to learn to ride it smoothly. The Muni is going to help me so I think.

I will take your advise and just stick with what I have right now, and work on each for the next couple years.

torker CX 20 (what I learned to ride on)
torker LX 24
Nimbus Muni 26
Nimbus Titan 36