Coker Tyre pressure??

Just wondering what tyre pressure everyone is using in there Coker tyres?

Currently running 40 psi in the ‘Wheel TA’ tyre which is a lot better than the 32 psi stated on the tyre. This feels to flat.

I have mine pretty high aswell, I don’t know how high because I don’t have a pressure gauge, but I know it is higher than whats rated on the tire. I find it feels really grippy and resists too much on lower pressure.

25 psi in my TA, I like a cushy ride. I’ve never tried going above 32psi.

I dont have a coker, but on my cruiser i like to keep the pressure arround 38-42psi depending on the weather. when it is wet you want a lower psi for more grip, and when it’s sunny you like to have less rolling resistance

i have a “super pressure” tyre though…

I just bought two tires and tubes, inflated one till it exploded and then put the other one to 10 psi lower than the blowout pressure.

not really, but my coker is at around 60-70psi. it’s rated for like 35, but the difference in hill climbing with 35 and 70 is incredible. Way less mushy, but a lot rougher on sidewalks and trails. It’s hilly here though, so the pressure stays up.

I run my Coker tire at 50psig all the time.

Tire pressure’s will vary from one rider to the next based upon the terrain and the riders body weight.

But, typically my Coker is set between 25-30psi for MUni (if very technical it could vary)and 45-50psi for street.

My best advice is to try riding at various psi until you find the pressure thats right for you.

Everyone is different.

The recommended pressure rating written on the side of your tire is not necessarily right for everyone and all terrain.

Adam

I don’t know what pressure I ride with either, but it works for me. Remember, a Coker (or Radial TA) is much more about covering lots of ground in a straight line than it is about carving tight turns & spins. The first time I rode a Coker (1998) I couldn’t seem to get enough pressure into the tire. That’s because I was trying to get it to act like my 45" big wheel, which has a skinny, solid rubber tire. A Coker isn’t supposed to ride like that; it’s much better suited to going straight.

When I got my coker the tyre was pumped up quite hard and I’ve kept it that way. It works for me.

I run my Qu-Ax / TA tyre at about 30 psi according to the guidelines on the tyre wall. This is mainly because I’m a bit scared of it blowing out on me (!) and because I have a stretched 29er tube in their anyway, so I figure I’m already closer to a failure of some kind than the “normal” configuration :slight_smile:

I find it provides me with a nice comfortable ride like this, plenty of grip, and I can still twitch it round obstacles when I need to. I find it pretty comfortable.

The only problem is that bikers I’m riding with tell me my tyre’s flat all the time.

30psi just feels way too low. I run my TA (with 29" tube) at about 38psi, and it still feels too low; I’d put it higher but I don’t want to push my luck.

I always pump my Coker tire to something in the range of 40 to 43 PSI. My weight is 80kg. My rides usually include streets and dirt roads. I always leave the tire at this pressure after the ride. After 2 or 3 days it has lost up to 5 PSI.

I ride mine at 50 PSI and I agree, it makes a huge difference climbing hills.

Between 50 and 60 psi depending on when I pumped it up last.

Anything less than 40 and it mings, and doesn’t go where you want it to go. With a high pressure it rides so much nicer.

Joe

(Within reason) as hard as possible. I don’t know what PSI it is, but it’s higher than I can get with a mini handpump. A good few shots with a vertical trackpump and I can barely dent it with my thumb. That’s nice.

Sam

45 psi - I weigh 175 pounds. Less feels mushy and more makes it too hard to control.
:slight_smile:

I’d be careful about going above 50 psi with the stock Coker rim. The rim doesn’t hold the tire on that well. Even going up to 50 psi requires that you make sure the tire is seated evenly and correctly in the rim.

With the Airfoil rim you can play around with higher pressure. I don’t know how high you can actually go before the tire fails. But it’s not going to blow off or slip off the rim anywhere are easily as with the stock Coker rim.

I was using 45-50 psi with the stock Coker rim. With the Airfoil I’m running about 40 something psi for XC muni and 50-60 psi for pavement. I haven’t tried anything higher than 60 psi yet as I don’t see the need.

I can tell when I drop below about 40psig because my curb riding goes to pot. The higher pressure gives me the responsiveness that I need for riding curbs at speed. That’s the only place I really notice the 10psi difference.

I ran my tire at 50psig when I had a stock Coker steel rim also. I had no problem with the tire coming off but the steel rims vary quite a bit. I was lucky for awhile. My steel rim folded slightly when I was hopping stairs and I went to an Airfoil after that. I retrued the steel rim before I got the Airfoil but never really trusted it for abusive riding after that.

I still have the old wheel with rubber rimstrip in my basement and anyone who is willing to pay the shipping may have it for free. It probably costs more to ship than the value of the wheel. I wouldn’t make a box for it I would just ship it UPS as is with an address label.

i call dibs on harpers wheel

i sent you a PM