Close call riding the bike lane!

I’ve been training for my next century, and this morning I had a pretty scary and close call while riding my kh 36er. I was riding in the bike lane heading for the beach bike path, cruising at around 12-13 mph, when all of a sudden, my kh handle snapped off! It caused me to lurch forward a bit in a quick, jerking motion, and also to my left, as I tried to stay on and in control, but it forced me into the traffic lane momentarily. A bunch of cars had just passed, so I was very lucky indeed! :astonished:

So after I regained control, holding onto the broken handle with one hand, and the lift handle with the other, I pulled over quickly to see what the heck was going on. Well, as yo can see in the attached pics below, it was a clean and instant break, which would explain why I was hearing such increasingly loud creaking!

I had thought it was probably loose bolts either on my saddle or lift handle bolts. I had checked them and they didn’t seem loose, but I snugged them a tad anyway, but the creaking was still there. I then thought it might be a cracked seat or stiffner plate. I never suspected that the handle bracket was cracked, and about to break!

I don’t know whether it became fatigued after time, or if it was defective. I’ve never put much weight on the handle, which is probably why I didn’t face plant when it snapped! Most of my weight is always on the saddle; the handle and aero bars are there to rest on, but I don’t “push” down on it much while riding.

It was a weird feeling to have to ride back with only the lift handle to hold on to, which, btw, I’m glad I had left on! I know some people prefer to remove the lift handle after they install a touring handle.

Now I wonder if this might happen again, like it’s just a matter of time, or maybe it could have been defective in some way. I also wonder if the bracket would be stronger if it were chromoly steel instead of aluminum.

email kris?

I did earlier, and UDC as well.

you find out what they were going to do?

Not yet. Should hear something by later today or tomorrow I would imagine. Anyone else’s touring bar break at the bracket?

along the same lines i broke the stem on my DH b*ke a few days ago.

I was thinking that I could just reposition the touring handle to a stem attached to my seatpost. But then I started thinking it could be a LOT worse if the seatpost broke in half, while riding! I hate to imagine the consequences of being “skewered” in that way, if you know what I mean! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

yes i do. i am lucky i leaning back. or i would be in ALOT of pain

This is the alternate setup for now:

DSC06671.JPG

Will you be adding any additional protective gear since your near-miss?

I’ve got a similar seatpost mounting but with nimbus shadow bars. No problems with breaking seatposts.
Maybe yours broke because of all the leverage from having aerobars on it making it twice as long?

At least you weren’t hurt:D

Knock wood! I don’t think the aerobars were the cause, since I hardly have any weight on them as it is; almost all is on my saddle. But I guess it’s possible. I remember before I added the aerobars, I was probably pushing down on the kh handle at least as much, which wasn’t a lot then either.

It’s the bike lanes that are dangerous…

hahahah funny vid!!

but it’s true, i never ride bike lanes. we have many “bike lanes” here…but they’re just a shoulder. too close to idiots driving for me.

Haha, that was hilarious! But nearly 3 MILLION views in less than a month, for a video with the bland title, “Bike Lanes”? How the F##C is this possible? Are millions of people, all of a sudden, searching for videos with about bike lanes? Unbelievable. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

I just thought of this idea, and it looks like it could work, making it the best of both worlds! The bracket in the pic is not attached, since it’s broken, but you can see it matches up well with the seat tube mount angle. Only thing is I’m not sure if both attachments would work ideally together, and they might not share equal stress. It could be looked at as a safeguard in that is the bracket were to break, the seatpost mount would still keep the touring handle and aerobars from collapsing and separating from the uni.

DSC06673.JPG

A bit, but I could only think of how the “victim” in the vid never told us what he actually was doing. I consider him guilty by means of totally omitting that information. Yes, you are a legal vehicle, which entitles you to use a whole lane if and when necessary. Otherwise you’re supposed to stay as far to the right as is “practicable”. Sounds open to discussion, but leaves leeway for lots of common-sense riding. I’m sure the cop had a reasonable reason for ticketing him; too bad we don’t know what it was.

Then the guy proceeds to show us how bike lanes have “stuff” in them. He should have done a comparison with how many of Manhattan’s car lanes also have “stuff” in them. Don’t be such a wimp. You can’t be a wimp and a cyclist in Manhattan at the same time.

It’s called viral. How did you come to watch it? Oh yeah… :slight_smile:

Sorry about your broken handle, and glad it didn’t lead to injury or a flattened head. Be happy this didn’t happen on your actual century run! :stuck_out_tongue: Back when I broke my (1st generation) Nimbus Shadow handle, it was from pulling up on it. Until that happened, I didn’t think I was applying any upward pressure on it at all, but I apparently do rather sharply, when braking, mounting and riding slow in high gear. I also know I press down on my handlebar a good deal. For me, that’s why it’s there in the first place. So you might actually be putting more pressure on it than you think. Not that it should break in any case. Mine also creaked before it let go, and I also couldn’t figure out where the sound was coming from until just before it let go.

I wouldn’t have had any clue about that video if it hadn’t been linked here. :smiley: And I thought the same thing about the bracket snapping during a century! it would have made my 3 broken spokes on my last century seem like a minor inconvenience!

And I also agree that the bracket should be strong enough to take some continuous weight bearing; if not, it’s just an accident waiting to happen! In the interim, I attached my handle setup to my seatpost, via a stoker stem. Although the non-adjustable stem angle makes it lower and not as far out in front, it seems like a pretty solid set up. :slight_smile:

Sucks, man!

I broke my T-Bar last summer. I was also using aero-bars at the time, about 1900km into a 2200km tour. Mine broke at the weld holding the half-circle piece to the short tube the handle slides into. Broke just above that weld. No creaking, but it twisted a couple times as if the short tube’s clamp were loose a couple times before giving out.

If the point where you were applying pressure to the bars was twice as far out as the standard T-Bar, then that joint still sees twice the torque, even if you push with the same force. If you weren’t putting lots of weight into it though, it still surprises me that it broke on you. I was putting probably close to half my weight on mine.

I need to find a stem like you’ve got. I got my bar re-welded, but I find the T-Bar way too flexy with aerobars to begin with. What we really need is a V-Frame…

Like the others have mentioned I think that the Aerobars would have added a lot of leverage and even light weight leaning would make a lot of force on the bar. I think the main cause for the failure of that T-bar could have been the way your Stiffener plate seems to be mounted underneath the plastic grab handle. It does fit there but I assume it allows more flex by having the plastic sandwiched between the plate and the handle instead of having the handle pressed firmly against the plate. The photo I stole from Unicycle.co.nz shows the way I think it is intended to be oriented.

Even with a Shadow handle in my KH Touring handle base, I would expect it to void any KH warranty if it breaks since the Shadow is longer than the original spec.

I agree that a V-frame would seem more suited to such a lengthy appendage.

KH Touring handle with stiffener plate.jpg