Carrying your uni on your bike....

all these xtracycle concepts look quite odd and extravigant!

i will just stick to riding my 20" to the destination i wanna ride haha :slight_smile: coz then i wont have to worry bout having to cart a bike around at the end of the trip wen im riding my uni… i rekon having to do the xtracycle on each end, having to set it all back up would take a fair amount of time

It’s basically a circa 1999 Marin aluminum mountain bike with a 1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain. You can run 3x9 or any gearing combination you like. I only have so many gears because I live ~350 ft. elevation above the local highway that I have to take to get anywhere.

I put a rigid fork on it and swapped out the knobby tires for Schwalbe Big Apple 2" wide slick tires. It currently has v-brakes because I’ve never owned a bike with discs, but I think a front disc would be nice for downhills, especially when it’s loaded up.

The rest is the standard xtracycle kit plus a 9-speed chain. (The kit comes with chain to extend a wider 7 or 8-speed chain.)

I have been an Xtracyclist for longer than I have been unicycling and I would have to say that if you like to carry stuff with you bike they are the best thing that you can get.

I actually have only carried a uni with the X a couple of times but it was no more difficult than carrying anything else with a bike designed for carrying stuff.

EDIT: phlegm, that is a nice ride, how do you keep the snap-deck looking so good? Mine was looking weathered after less than a week of use.

Why not buy a coker, that way your hands are free to carry your muni :wink:

It would be nice if you could get a coker with a splined crank and seat post diameter to match your muni, that way you would only need one seat and set of cranks :smiley:

Or you could start saving for a 26" schlumpf.

hi im just about to make something to hold my uni on my bike I was planning on welding up a frame that my uni would just sit on whole with just a couple of straps holding it on so it would be easy to just put it on and take it off to go from riding to riding easly and quickly, could you post some clearer pictures of how you have done it if you have done it so i can get a better idea of how to do it, thanks

I’d like to second the praise for the Dakine Helipack. It’s really great for carrying a uni on your back, whether on a bike or whatever. I usually also strap a hock stick bag to it and cycle to unihoc practice…

The straps hold the uni nice and securely, so that you can trust it not to swing about - and it’s fairly comfortable. I’ve ridden to work on my 29er muni, carrying the 20" freestyle on my back and it worked fine.

The picture is from its maiden voyage. Since then, the snap deck has received a bunch of scratches, mostly from unicycle cranks and pedals. I think I’ve only ridden it in the rain once, also. We haven’t had much rain in the past few months.

ok as no one has posted any close up or clear pictures to influence me on what I should do (im not having a moan) I decided to just take my bike and take my uni and make it, after a long time in the garage i have finished it, its not much, its quite different to what I have seen but it works and only needs one small strap to sucure it, its dark now so i havnt got any pictures or extensivly tested it yet but it held up fine riding around the garden and up the road so I will test it more tomorrow and post some pictures of it for you to see

ok as I said I would I tested it on a longer ride and its all fine so I have taken some pictures for you to see…

1 Like

Maybe you could rig something up on your bike so as the unicycle travels alongside the bike like a sidecar.

that will probably be possible but as you go faster the uni will probably start to wobble probably pretty bad because the cranks are off ballance

[SIZE=“2”][/SIZE]Here’s a photo of my set up

DSCF0175.JPG

Here’s a close up of the tow bar

err, not quite!

see next post for larger image

DSCF0176.JPG

close up of tow bar

DSCF0172.JPG

Looking on advice and suggestions on the best ways to carry a unicycle on my back and on my bike. I will soon need to carry it around a lot and am starting to figure out the best options. Hard to find information online. Thought there may be come advice here.

1 Like

You need “what the fork” from @jaco_flans this will solve your problems.
Unfortunately I can’t advise about carrying a unicycle on a bike as I don’t have a bike :shushing_face::joy:

I just moved your post to the existing topic on this issue, which was just a quick search with our wonderfully working search function away. You shall find good information here.

More information, but in German, can be found in this thread: Einrad transportieren, aber wie?

And there is also this thread:

1 Like

Maybe it’s a spammer selling bungee cords. :laughing:

I strapped my 20" to a seatpost mount bike rack a few times. It worked ok for short the trips I did, but the weight is pushing it for that style rack. Much easier to transport a uni on a bike with a motor.