Bottle Cages

Haven’t found a matching topic …

Heres mine: 2x 0.75 liters = 1.5 liters of water. I don’t hit them with my legs nor feel the weight or the splashing of the water while riding. I would not like to have this weight on my shoulders. So I can always ride without rucksack. And I can easily reach the bottles while riding.

bottle cages: 2x Elite Custom Race Soft touch
adapter: M-Wave bottle cage adapter 1 to 2
clamps: KCNC bottle cage clamps 31.6mm (ground to 31.8mm)

2 Likes

This looks very nice!

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to make something like this work with a caliper rim brake though. There’s not much space under the seat on a 36er, so I think it would take short bottles to fit above the caliper and below the seat, or else have a space to offset them behind the brake.

When I first thought about the problem I’d been thinking of putting one projecting horizontally off the back of the seat tube securely stapped into a dismount-to-access holder with a stay up to the saddle’s rear bumper bolts. But that was just the goal of carrying, not access while riding.

With the KCNC bottle cage clamps came spacers that would allow mounting the bottle cage about 2cm further away from the frame. Maybe such a solution would work for you. then the bottle could sit behind the brake

To add some links:
M-Wave 2 Bike Bottle Cage Adapter
KCNC Seatpost bottle cage clamp
Elite custom Race Bottle Cage

The Elite cages have the advantae that you don’t have to pull out the bottle straigt to the top (which is not possible under the saddle) but under an angle.

Clever solution for those who don’t want to wear a camelback.

I’m not sure it would work for a 36er though, not because of the magura rim brakes but because the wheel is much bigger than a 27.5".

I notice you don’t have the handlebar that goes through the seatshandle anymore, you didn’t like it?

I absolutely love it! It’s still on my uni and i never removed it. Maybe the point of view on those photos is bad for seeing the handle.

With this handle I can hillclimb much better than with the standard plastic handle. Control on the trail is fantastic and it never hit me on an UPD. Im’ thinking of getting the same thin for my other uni too.

For a ghetto solution, I’ve had one of these on both my unis: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/Pamase-Adjustable-Quick-Release-Bottle/B01K6GESIM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1495489675&sr=8-13&keywords=bicycle+bottle+cage

On the 29er it fit under the saddle great, but on the 36er the seatpost was too low so I couldn’t get the bottle in, so I mounted it on the handlebar instead.

I actually took it off my 36er because I bailed and smashed the bottle up on the ground a few too many times, and so I stick to the Camelback now!

Not sure if I already posted this. But as a big fan of riding without backpack, I added a frame bag to my setup:

Sometimes on technical (for me) trails it would be nice to not have the weight of the bottlef on my uniy, but i doubt it would be easier with having it on my back.

2 Likes

The double rear bottle cage does look nice and I’ve thought about getting it myself. However I prefer just one big bottle but finding the perfect size bottle that holds at least one litre and still fits in a cage is challenging but doable. Not a fan of wearing a backpack too and still thinking of ways to mount a little more cargo on the back.

1 liter or 1.5 liter is a lot of water to bring on a trip. how much do you ride to need to so much water. When I do 10-15km myself I don’t drink any water. Even when it is very warm. One might argue that isn’t healthy, but I generally don’t drink so much. On a normal work day in the office, I just barely drink 1 liter of anything in total (1 coffee, 1 tea and after dinner a glass of water)

It’s just my general water bottle which I take everywhere and I don’t have air con where I work so during summer I can go through quite a bit of water. When I was doing the valley rail trails here it wasn’t enough for 4 hours of riding and they only had a couple of places to fill up. I am considering a camelback for those long rides. I just enjoy the convenience of a big water bottle that I can drink from whenever without having to search for a place to fill up every hour or so.

That very much depends on the length and intensity of the ride. As a rule, I always prefer to carry more water than I should need, just in case. Like if someone with me runs out, or we get stuck for a longer amount of time than planned. 1 liter is fine for an hour or so on a warm day, but would not be enough for my favorite Muni loop, which is about 7 miles of riding but also about 1200’ of climbing and technical. Especially on a hot day.

But on a Road ride I can toss off 10 miles without water, as long as it doesn’t involve a lot of climbing. I bring water anyway though, unless I forget!

1 Like

I mount mine on the back end of my handle bar post under my saddle. I use empty Gatorade bottles so they fit. If I’m going on a long ride I Carry a regular size bottle in my back pack. I hate free mounting over things hanging off of the back. I have a nice small back pack.,large enough for bottle pump, tube and basic tools. I keep it simple, I try not to look like a Range Rover on safari, Also camel backs gross me out

you can try balancing the water bottle on your head. To prove to non-unicyclists you’re totally in balance :stuck_out_tongue:
No camel back needed or bottle holder under the seat.

That is actually an interesting idea to mount a bottle cage on a helmet. I think the weight would probably be annoying, but it could work. It also makes me wonder if it would be a reasonable place for a mini pump or other small tools.

I’m not a fan of wearing a backpack either. especially in the summertime. But a cycling waist pack is the perfect balance for me between having everything I need at hand and not having a sweaty back or shifting load

I use the Osprey Savu for road and muni

2 Likes

Might also be a reasonable way to break your neck if you do end up needing the helmet… I’d avoid mounting stuff on my helmet, I’m even cautious about putting a GoPro on there.

4 Likes

Maybe manufacturers could go retro-tech and start making frames with bottle cage mounts built directly into the seatube again, just like the Pashley Muni frames from the late-90’s/early-2000’s? :thinking:

I doubt it’d be worth it for how few people would probably use them, or would not be able to use them because of seat clearance issues. But it’d be a funny thowback.

Personally, I’m considering mounting a bottle cage on the rear and a small frame pump on the front of my own Pashley retro-ride.

That looks nice

1 Like