Best pictures of 2017 for World Unicycling Calendar

So yeah, I need your email address in order to send a link.

With so many nice pics, maybe we can start to make several variants of the 2019 calendar (Muni calendar, freestyle calendar, trial/street calendar, group rides calendar…) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well, maybe “we” or “you” could. But I intend to keep making the World Unicycling Calendar. :slight_smile:

I was not planning on stealing anyone’s thunder especially with the great work you are doing every year to make THE calendar :stuck_out_tongue:

I volunteer to help make variants focusing on one specific discipline out of the shortlist you gathered (I will start with the offroad edition for personal use :D).

Let me know if you accept elves to assist you :wink:

@Siddhartha, lol I also started out with the calendar for personal (i.e. my personal) use, in 2011. A few years later, I started distributing to other people, and the numbers are still growing each year. For the 2018 edition, about 70 copies have been downloaded, and counting.

I recognise that the sport of unicycling has many subdisciplines and not everyone will be interested in all of them. In this forum, the emphasis is somewhat on offroad riding while others such as freestyle and street riders are largely elsewhere, e.g. on facebook. Indeed, most of the pictures from here are muni or xc. I feel however, that a broad selection of pictures is most appealing, so that’s what I’ll keep aiming for.

And thank you for suggesting yourself as an elf, but I can manage on my own. Oh well, with all the great contributors of pictures of course!
That said, feel free to make a personal calender with whatever theme you prefer!

I also prefer the eclectic mix of photos. While I’m not a fan of the overall format of the calendar (it’s not good for writing stuff on), that doesn’t stop me from displaying it. Last year’s calendar lived on the wall in my office at work, and I could show people the “unicyclist of the month” and tell a little bit about what they were doing.

Ultimately, that is, if I were making my own version, I’d do a larger format, where the photo (or photos) would occupy one sheet, and the calendar for that month would be on the other, below it. In my country we have what’s called Tabloid size, at 11 x 17". I’m sure there is a European equivalent of that. But since those sizes are much less common in personal printers, it could still be printed on regular “letter” or A4 paper. :slight_smile:

Indeed, the calendar is not intended for practical use beyond being inspiring/beautiful. Photopaper (which I recommend) isn’t very amenable to writing on anyway.

What does stop you is that you don’t have (requested) a copy for this year’s edition.

That’s the spirit!

That is an option that is often used for calendars to make them bigger than the papaer they’re printed on. It’s a matter of taste but I think the calendar is big enough as it is.
Also, if the picture occupies a whole A4 (I keep thinking European paper), its aspect ratio must be quite explicitly ‘landscape’ or ‘portrait’. On the current format the allotted space is more squarish (5:4) so that portrait pictures are still possible without too much empty space. (2018 doesn’t contain any though.)

In Europe, we do have tabloid size for newspapers. But for consumer printing paper, all I know of is the A series of sizes. The next one up from A4 is A3.

The A* size system is nicely designed. A4 is about 210 x 297 mm. A3 keeps the 297 mm, but the other size is 420 mm. The aspect ratio stays the same from size to size, i.e. the square root of two (about 1.41). The surface area of the ‘grand-grandfather’, A0, is 1 m2 by definition.

Thanks again, love mine.

Hopefully the beginning of an annual tradition, for me.

Yes, in the end, your format is the best one for maximizing the pictures while fitting a common paper size.

Aw, you noticed! Thanks for the reminder…

That would be it; same idea as the non-metric “tabloid”. I still remember 210 x 297 from my days working at the ad agency in 1983-4. We did all the brochures for Ford Tractor International. Did you know Dutch text takes up a lot of space compared to most of the other languages (of the Ford Tractor world in those days)? But not as much as Afrikaans, which I think was #1. :slight_smile:

I always thought that Dutch was about average in that respect. English takes up less space, French uses more - at least, that is my fully non-scientific impression. This probably can be googled though.

Yeah I agree, the Latin language tree is more descriptive than the Germanic language tree. And Dutch is fairly average.

:angry: Don’t say negative things about our language :smiley: Besides Afrikaans should be of about equal length as Dutch since it is old Dutch. It is how our children speak in kindergarten.

Before anyone comments to that statement, this is not a negative vision on Afrikaans, it is just the truth :smiley: