3 Oceans Unicycle Tour: Across Australia

Hey folks,
Starting 31st May, I will attempting to unicycle across Australia (in two parts). Part One will be from Perth to Adelaide in June-July and includes the crossing of the 1300km Nullarbor Plateau. Part Two will be from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne and Canberra in November and December.

The total distance covered will be 6000km.

During Part One I will be collecting data on my thesis on the experience of long distance cycling.

I will also be raising funds for the

· The Clown Doctors: the core project of the Humour Foundation, a charity dedicated to promoting the health benefits of laughter and humour. The Clown Doctors interact with sick children in hospitals around Australia dispensing doses of fun and laughter.

· The Ved Vigyan Maha Vidya Peeth: An initiative of the The Art of Living Foundation, a non-profit educational and humanitarian organization that started in India, and now has a presence in 140 countries. This initiative provides free education to children in rural India.

I will be riding a KH 36" (ungeared), called Mimi :slight_smile: I will have a support vehicle for the first 3 weeks and will ride unsupported from then on.

Take a look at the website: www.3oceansunicycletour.com

Please donate to the cause (It will be greatly appreciated) and spead the word to your family and friends.
Thanks.
Sid

Wow, you’re crazy.

you’re going to need that hat of yours!
good luck!

All the best Sid. I hope the winds are favourable and the road-trains are few.

Sounds great sid! If you would like some company for the last part of the trip (and a place to stay in canberra) you are more than welcome to stay with me for a night. I did canberra-melbourne-adelaide last year self supported and it was great fun- the great ocean road especially. What route will you take from melbourne to canberra? The monaro highway is a pretty good road all round and is very scenic (although from cann river to nimitabel it is a lot of uphill).
mark

Sounds great sid! If you would like some company for the last part of the trip (and a place to stay in canberra) you are more than welcome to stay with me for a night. I did canberra-melbourne-adelaide last year self supported and it was great fun- the great ocean road especially. What route will you take from melbourne to canberra? The monaro highway is a pretty good road all round and is very scenic (although from cann river to nimitabel it is a lot of uphill).
mark

Good luck Sid!

Why did you decide against using your Schlumpf 36"?

Good luck Sid! Will be watching with interest…depending on your schedule, I’ll try to meet you somewhere along the route.

Ken

Thanks, guys.

Mark- From Melbourne to Canberra, I’ll probably take the Princes to Eden and then join the Monaro. Yeah, it looks like there’s some climbing. 900m around Cooma, I think.

Yup, feel free join me anytime. More the merrier :wink: The Victoian, ACT and NSW section will be in November. I haven’t looked at the exact dates yet. I will once I get the first section done. Should be all done in time for Unicon.

Tony- I’ve been riding the Schlumpf since Tassie. I was still in two minds on the reliability issue though(I haven’t had any problems yet apart from loose cranks). If I had a support vehicle all the way, I would use the Schlumpf but wanted maximum reliability on the Nullarbor. Last week I got on my ungeared Coker and it felt really good. That swung it for me. May go with the geared 36" in the second section though.

j

I don’t know if this was posted elsewhere but you’re in the news:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/817756/student-to-cross-australia-on-unicycle

Sweet! I just saw that. I did an interview for AAp and looks like that has spread. There was even a small clip in an Indian paper today. Tomorrow morning, I will be on the morning show on Channel 9 (around 7:20 a.m.) and have an interview with the Age too. It will be nice to get riding.

Hi Sid,
I hardley ever watch TV in the morning cause I am just running around and trying to get to work. Not tomorrow though, I will be glued to the tele.
I will be keeping up to date with your news and what an amazing life adventure.
Mal

good luck :stuck_out_tongue: you’ll feel heaps great when you finish :stuck_out_tongue:

Its 5a.m. and they called to cancel. A swine flu story has taken precedence over some crazy guy trying to unicycle across Oz :slight_smile:

They have me on again, same time on Channel 9:)

It was pretty cool to open up the paper this morning and see you in there. A decent sized photo too. Good work!

Although this number is already mind-boggling… I can’t imagine how many calories you’ll put down during the trip. Your stomach will need its own donation fund.

I’ll put some money in on behalf of Hien and myself. Ride like the wind!

An hour ago, I was having a big breaky: sausages, bacon, eggs, the works. And I’m already hungry.

Thanks, Jason and Hien :wink:

ive been asked about 50 times now if i know you.

go through the barossa lol