3 Oceans Unicycle Tour: Across Australia

i can vouch for the fact that you’ve become quite famous even back in India. Apart from the newspaper articles, my sis who works in HDFC, bangalore, forwarded an email which has been passed around office wishing you the best, and i join them in wishing you the same. All the best man

Haha! My Dad works for HDFC in Mumbai.

Just a quick reminder. The ride starts tomorrow. You can follow the ride at www.3oceansunicycletour.com

Some media links:
The Morning Show on Channel 7 (National TV in Australia):

The Today Show on Channel 9 (National TV in Australia. Note to self: Chop hands off!!):

The Age : Unicyclist to cross country on a wheel and a prayer
Check out the Age video too. Same video on the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sid+rajan+unicycle+across+australia&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Hey Sid,
I looked at these and just wondered if the uni that featured :)was a 29 or 36. Nice interview.
Cheers
Mal

It’s a 36, he is just super tall.

Definitely a 36" (for the sake of my butt). I am in Augusta now (326km). Apart from the saddle soreness, it all feels good :slight_smile:

OOohhh!!! That is “O” for Awesome with a capital “O”!!!

I missed Breakfast this morning, but thanks for putting in the clip. That was very well done.

I liked the bit when they asked you to ride ‘all hooked up’. I have been following your blogs. Your gunna be fit by the end!

I unicycled into Norseman (see map) yesterday (Day 19) after unicycling 1386km. The ride has had everything so far: broken KH handle, UPDs, close enounters with road trains, a sick day, lots of food and meeting a whole bunch of wonderful people on the road who have shown me a lot of kindness by offering me food, drinks and at times, money. Great conversations have been had and lots of laughter has been shared.

On Sunday I begin the (in)famous Nullarbor Plain known for its treeless, semi-arid landscape and an enormous challenge to any cyclist. From here onward I will ride unsupported. I hope to complete the 1300km Nullarbor section in a little under 3 weeks, in Ceduna.

Sid :slight_smile:
www.3oceansunicycletour.com

Incredible, keep it up!

Super inspiring tour Sid! I can’t wait to hear about it when you are done. Hopefully you will be at Unicon this year!

Hmm, another broken KH handle? This seems to be very common for three uni tour blogs I have read recently. Were you able to weld it and fix it?

Best of luck on the tour, it sounds awesome.

Wow, Sid, you are a beast!

My 9 yr old son, (named Denali), is almost riding now (getting 10 & 15 revs), and your “forum name” is the same as his REAL name, so he’s quite inspired by you. Seeing you make it across Oz, he knows he’ll be able to ride to the end of our street one day soon.

Keep it up, and keep us posted. You’re HUGE!

I pedaled into Ceduna yesterday on Day 40 becoming the second person to unicycle across the Nullarbor. See map. After 2591km of unicycling I am 1095km from Adelaide and the end of Part One of the 3 Oceans Unicycle Tour.

The Nullarbor crossing was an incredible experience. There were some intense moments that included riding 198km between roadhouses over two days on 3 burgers and 3lit. of water; A desperate 11 hour-145km dash to get to Nundroo Roadhouse; And unicycling Australia’s longest straight road (146km) where if it weren’t for my watch, the relativity of time and space would be non-existent.

There were many moments of exhilaration: from riding down Madura Pass and up Eucla pass with amazing views of the plains below and the ocean. And of course, the limestone Bunda Cliffs of the Great Australian Bight. I met a lot of kind travellers (including an intrepid Japanese cyclist) whom I shared food, drinks, stories, smiles and laughter with.

There were some comical moments: I still have trouble putting up a bloody tent after all these years (clumsy as always!!!).

Apart from the few aches and pains, and the weight loss (the incredible Nullarbor diet. I could make a fortune), all is well. Mimi the Unicycle is doing amazingly well. I hope to reach Adelaide in a little over 2 weeks.

[QUOTE=siafirede;1251491]
Hmm, another broken KH handle? This seems to be very common for three uni tour blogs I have read recently. Were you able to weld it and fix it?

[QUOTE]

Yup, I got it rewelded 1400km ago and its held up fairly well so far. It broke at the same place as all the others.

Hey Sid!! Great to hear from you. This is a truly amazing trip you are taking on. Even biking it would be intense!

I can’t wait to hear stories from you at Unicon (you better be going!).

06252009202.jpg

07042009274.jpg

07042009284.jpg

07052009303.jpg

Dude, you’re an animal. Keep the pics and stories coming. Between you and the Tour de France, a great month for gnarly sports.

I think it would be really cool to hear a rundown of all the gear you are bringing, maybe two seperate writeups, one about the unicycle specific gear and another about your camping/living/clothes gear.

What an amazing journey!I’ve been enjoying you blog and pictures.Looks like you might make some sort of record of multiple metric centuries,not to mention the more obvious distance records.

john

Way to go!

Hello hello!
bumped into you and your mighty unicycle along te Eyre Highway a couple of days ago whilst driving back from melbourne to perth. my friend and i are totally amazed by you! way to go!
Raiyes

Hi Sid,

great feat of yours.
I just wondered how the luggage rack works on a unicycle. As much as I can see it’s something like this. Right?
Any conflicts with your legs when pedaling?
How much weight do you put on the rack?
How does the unicycle behave with luggage strapped to it?
As I am in long distance unicycling as well (ok, not sooo long as you, obviously), I saw your pics and thought it is a great idea to mount such a rack.

All the best for the long way in front of you,
Wolfgang