Who has done a 24 hour ride?

In the spirit of the 100 mile list, which is now heading towards 40 riders, and seems to have really inspired a few people (myself included) to get out and do some big rides, I’d like to start off a 24 hour list.

The rules:-

A ride done for 24 hours. Can be a race, world record attempt, epic muni ride gone wrong or whatever. Whatever it is, you have to have started it at a particular time one day, and still being riding at the same time the next day. Stops for injuries, eating, having a piss etc. allowed, but you must still be going by the next day. Basically, you know if you did a 24 hour ride, just be nice and no cheating. If you did a race, if you finished, then that’s okay, if you had to drop out before the end, then it isn’t.

Support crews etc. allowed, as I guess most people who’ve done this have been in some kind of lap race, it’d be darned cool if anyone has done it unsupported though - I think my longest completely unsupported ride was about 16-18 hours (overnight London -> the sea ride).

Riding in a team relay obviously doesn’t count.

Also, put a * next to your name if you’ve done it off road.

Oh and distances if you know them.

Names I know for sure:-

Joe Marshall (78 miles)* (Mountain Mayhem 2002)
Ken Looi* (Rotarua Moonride 2003/2004, 24 hr World record 2005?)
Nathan Hoover* (Rotarua Moonride 2004?)
Sam Wakeling (24 hr world record 2007)
Rob Northcott* (Sleepless in the Saddle 2008)

there must be a few others though - the previous 24 hour record holders, other random solo nutters etc.

For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, it’s the perfect time of year for this kind of ride too, so get out there people!

Joe

My distance was 7 laps of a roughly 8 mile course, so something like 56 miles. Can I have an extra asterisk for “exceptionally shite conditions” so it doesn’t look so weedy? :stuck_out_tongue:

What about that bloke who did that big ride in Alaska recently? I reckon sections of that should probably count - he certainly did some pretty long stints without much stopping, not like normal touring.

Rob

Yeah if I can have an extra one for breaking a rib in the middle of the race!

I wouldn’t worry too much about looking weedy for doing 24 hours of mountain unicycling!

Joe

Yes Mike Welch (Captainwelch) . I think he did 56 hours without sleeping during one stretch.

The ballsiest “big ride” ever done on a unicycle, hands down. The 56-hour run became a “ride or die” situation above the arctic circle.

Captainwelch dominates this list.

Oops, yep, here it is. I’ve put a * on it, as it sounds like pretty much off road even if he was following a road.

Mike Welch* (Haul Road, Alaska 2008)
Rob Northcott* (56 miles Sleepless in the Saddle 2008)

Would it count to do a random epic muni-ride with bivvy stop for a few hours? I don’t think that my batteries (for lights or legs) can quite hold out all night. Sorry if that’s a bit wussy. Apart from the rain this week I’d be tempted to go and earn my asterisk this weekend.

Sam

I stopped for a few hours at night during the race, so if mine counts then yours should. I’ve got about six hours runtime on my lights, which wasn’t enough to go all night - and to be honest I’m not sure if I could have done that anyway even if I had the light.

Rob

Sam - buy this and lots of rechargeable AA batteries, and you can have cheap easy light all night.

I stopped for a bit in the middle of mine, because I was in so much pain from the bust rib.

I’m not sure if it’s okay or not, hell it’s pretty impressive even if you do bivvy for a couple of hours, but maybe planning to ride through with a bivvy in case of emergency is more in the spirit of things.

Joe

Alternatively Sam borrow this light then you would have proven my Pashley is fast AND my light works well :smiley:

Can I go halfsies on the list? My first century took 12 hours. Actually, so did the 2nd.

Another one I missed off the list:-

Brian MacKenzie (62 miles, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous 2005)
Mike Welch* (Haul Road, Alaska 2008)
Rob Northcott* (56 miles Sleepless in the Saddle 2008)

Stefan Gauler (switzerland) did a worldrecord back 1991!
24h- Weltrekord, aufgestellt ende Oktober 1991

279.874 km , cranks: 130mm, wheel: 26- Zoll.

http://www.einrad.ch/einrad/Weltrekord/24h%20rekord/24h%20rekord.htm

Added Stefan and Lars; unified the formatting a bit.

Stefan Gauler (173.9 miles, 24 hr World Record 1991)
Lars Clausen (202.7 miles, 24 hr World Record 2002)
Joe Marshall (78 miles*, Mountain Mayhem 2002)
Ken Looi (Rotarua Moonride* 2003/2004; 235.3 miles, 24 hr World record 2005)
Nathan Hoover (Rotarua Moonride* 2004?)
Brian MacKenzie (62 miles*, Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous 2005)
Sam Wakeling (282 miles, 24 hr World Record 2007)
Mike Welch (Haul Road*, Alaska 2008)
Rob Northcott (56 miles*, Sleepless in the Saddle 2008)

Hi everybody,

It’s been awhile since I’ve checked in on this forum. I haven’t been riding much lately. Well, I haven’t been riding at all since my accident, but wheelies in the wheelchair are wicked easy.
Someone mentioned this thread to me and that my name popped up. I went through my ride journal from my trip last May and I have some numbers to add to the thread from the trip:

Day 4 and 5: approximately 36 hours and 125 miles

Days 7, 8, and 9: 56 hours and 220 miles (ride or die) hitched the last 20 miles into Deadhorse

Day 20 and 21: approximately 42 hours and 186 miles

Just a few to add to the list.

And some good news. Since I got back to Chicago from Japan, I’ve regained use of my lower back muscles, and alot of my lats. I have trace use of my abs, and I stood for the first time in more than a month and a half, with full leg calipers.
I’ll be going overseas early next year for some treatments that are not yet available in the states, so who knows? If things go well maybe I will walk and ride again…

–mike

Great thread Joe, and GREAT news Mike. Keep pushin’ man…it is your effort and attitude that will get you there, maybe with some offshore help.

So now I have another dang one of these lists to think about… I’ve been giving a lot of thought about how to get myself on that 100 mile list, and now there’s this 24-hour challenge being laid down. Not sure I’ll ever make either, but it would be interesting to shoot for making both at the same time. Doing that would be easier with two (or more) people to egg each other on, so if there’s anybody in the continental US (steveyo) that isn’t on either list, would like to be on both, and would be interested in training for and executing on such a project sometime in the next 12 months, PM me and let’s start discussing.

Way to go to all the iron-folks already on there.