Which 36er should I buy?

One thing I find that helps me do a “static” mount on a 36er is to start with the back pedal about 45 degrees below parallel and my right foot on it and then roll forward into a not quite static mount. That little bit of forward momentum allows me to use some downward pressure and prevents a rollback. I also keep the saddle in front of me until I actually start the mount. I can static mount starting with the saddle between my legs on the 27.5", but on the 36er it prevents me from getting high enough to mount it.

I noticed on some of Unigeezers videos he starts with the back pedal about 45 degrees above parallel, rolls back to where his feet are parallel and he is on top of the saddle and then hops a couple times to get his equilibrium.

Has anyone tried the fyxation gates pc pedals from UDC? I am thinking about ordering a set and A 36” UDC Titan. I want something with more grip than the stock pedals but not as aggressive and shoe chewing as steel studded. How is the width and durability on those pedals as well? If you have other pedal or 36” uni setup suggestions I would be interested to hear them.

I agree it takes a lot of practice. It prolly works out when I decide not to touch my other 9 unis for a few months, but when I want to go for a ride, it is carpe diem. Just take the first that I feel like riding at that moment. In the end I only ride it only a few times a year. That means I always need to put some time aside to practice mounting.

You can eat in a bike too. Your hands aren’t tied up on a bike either.

Well… kind of. I mean, I can do a lot of things on a bike with no hands when there’s no one there and it’s generally just a suburban-type place - stand up, conduct an orchestra, lay down on the handlebars, whatever you want. But if I’m on a busy sidewalk or a really twisty trail, I need those brakes and in some cases those handlebars :slight_smile:

In those cases you really shouldn’t be focused on eating anyway :wink:

1 Like

More advice time!
If I got the price down a bit on this, how does it seem like it would compare to a UDC 36"?
Any insight into what brand it is, and how the components might compare? If not, since I can’t travel down there to see it, is it a bad idea to take a chance on it?

The UDC 36 is 450, this one could maybe get down to 350 if I try hard enough.
Just thinking through the options here… shipping would be relatively low compared to the shipping on UDC ones - I live in the Vancouver-ish area.
Thanks if you have any insight :slight_smile:

Here are the 36" unis on municycle.com in Germany :
686/787mm (32/36 Inch)
The uni looks like it could be a UDC Trainer uni, but even if you can get the price down to 350$, I would argue that you can just as well get yourself a new one. Also since it is called a Trainer, it might not be of great quality. I believe I got my Nimbus Night Rider Pro below 500€, about 5 years ago, but they don’t sell those anymore. I don’t know how much ur willing to spend, but say you buy this second hand uni, which I think is overpriced and it then breaks within the year, then you might as well have spent a bit more money and got a decent one.
Also check the seat, it looks like a bike seat :smiley: , prolly isn’t, but you might have to buy a decent seat for if it you decide to buy this one.

1 Like

This assumes that you can buy a new one anywhere right now…

[spoiler] It is hard to even find a new 36" rim, let alone a new unicycle.

UDC AU have some, but you might not like the prices!

EDIT: I should clarify, I mean the prices with international shipping. Locally the prices are pretty good :slight_smile:

Yep, they appear to have both KH 36 and UDC Trainer 36 in stock.

P.S. No rims though :frowning:

Nightfoxes too, but they’re listed as low stock so there may only be one or two left.

Why wouldn’t they be available? Are there still those corona shipments issues from China? Even that containership has been pried loose near Egypt so everything started streaming in again.
In any case a quick email to Roland will give you the answer.

They state that they are not when you click on the items on the German site. You also have an option to notify when back in stock. Almost every UDC is low or without stock on popular unis.

The problems with supply started way before the Ever Given. They are pandemic related, messing up supply lines. Here is a typical page from UDC UK website for example

The other UDCs are largely the same but I picked the UK site since it makes it very clear when out of stock. Some of the others you have to click in to each item to see how bad.

P.S. In the case of UDC UK, they do not get a new container of products until July!

Some quick conversions for those interested form the UDC🇦🇺 website. With tax and shipping and fluctuating rates these will change but it gives you a ballpark to work in:

36" UDC Trainer = :australia:$565 = :us:$430 = €362 = £314
36" Nimbus Nightfox = :australia:$895 = :us:$682 = €573 = £497
36" Kris Holm = :australia:$1245 = :us:$948 = €797 = £692

It should be a bit less. The prices on the website include GST (10% tax, our version of VAT). You should be able to drop the GST if you’re exporting, although you may have to send an email for a final quote.

1 Like

Yeah, in the Czech Republic it’s the same. Almost everything is sold out and a new shipment will be in July.

UDC US just got a new container with Titan 36ers pretty recently (apparently).

Okay, actually, recently is an overstatement. I was told they got one at around the start of March, so the stock should still be holding up?

To more accurately reflect most of the discussion in this thread, I’ve just updated the title to be a little more generic.