Which 36er should I buy?

I cant imagine what errands that would be. What job would require that?
For shopping you need a bagpack. Holding a shopping or rubbish bag in one hand while riding is really difficult i found.
I see the unicycle to be practical for commuting, easy to have on the bus/train too.

I think a geared 29’er will have the speed and maneuverability and ease of mounting for most situations.

and you mount in normal gear and then change to higher gear while riding?

Are you asking me? I never tried a geared uni

you suggest a guni, so I expected you have experience with one. Gunis have some play in forward and backward movement and mounting in high gear I find near impossible.

This feels relevant to the speed discussion of big (36) and smaller wheel sizes. It is a Strava speed analysis of me doing the exact same route at basically the same average speed (17.1km/h [10.6mph] for 16km [10 miles]) using a 26" with 89mm cranks and a 36" with 125mm cranks (which works out at roughly the same gearing).

Look how much smoother the 36" line is. It is a nice visual of how much more relaxed it is to do these kinds of speeds on a big wheel.

https://twitter.com/VelocipedeRider/status/1367101030316593156

EDIT: For those of you on Strava, who want more detail: 26 & 36

This is for what I think (only guess) a 29 geared would be great.

Don’t you think a 36 will still feel a lot less ‘twitchy’ and more stable than a Guni 29? That big wheel really flattens the bumps on the road because of its size, in addition to the weight (and hence momentum).

EDIT: Perhaps someone with actual knowledge could confirm, as I like you, have not ridden a Guni and am purely speculating.

While I think the 36 is the coolest of the lot. I also think it’s more difficult to mount and in general get around on; In an urban landscape. Dismounting and mounting at every stop light and similar is why I don’t really fancy taking it to town.
I know an ungeared 29" is easy to handle and mount anywhere (for me).
But yes, someone with experience should give his five cent.

PS. I think we are getting sidetracked here on this post. :smiley:

2 Likes

Umm… Yes… sorry all (for my part). I have a tendency for that :rofl:

My difficulty in mounting a 36er is really the reason I no longer have one. I used the tyre grab mount, which was hit and miss… if you add a handlebar into the mix, that mount is really difficult. I just found the step up very hard. (I’m 5’5 (166cm) tall with inseam 77cm)

It was also hard for me to use on some sloping corners which cause me no problems on other unis. You also have to be very careful with it when you are in a crowded place.

27.5 and 29ers I can freemount without assistance and they are much easier for me to handle.

Loads of people find a way to freemount a 36er, but even after quite a few rides on one, I never really gained that ability with any pleasing success rate. I’ve see videos where people bring a block (tied to a string) or a walking stick to help mount, and I really think I’d rather not have to do that.

1 Like

Did you watch Liz Wilson mount her nightfox? She makes it look so easy.
It took me awhile too, to be able to mount consistently. Static mounts still gives me a bit of trouble (I couldn’t do it with 89mm cranks) I run 110/127). But “jumping step” works. Just still keep that pressure off the first pedal.

PS. Just tried with 110mm; If I try to do it like Liz I can’t get up high enough. I have to stand a little further back. That gives me more momentum (hard to explain, maybe I should do a video?).

I tried and I would need a lot more practice.

Well… :wink:

I only struggle to mount my 36 due to the short cranks. If I had a G36 then I would likely run 150mm, then mounting would no longer be a problem.

In fact, ease of mounting is what made me almost order a Schlumpf a few years back. At least that’s the way I justified entertaining the idea :roll_eyes:. Now they are in limited supply so I just enjoy what I already have :slightly_smiling_face:.

I really want one, but they are just a bit more than I can justify to spend on it. Okay, a lot more :rofl: :sweat_smile:

Oh, I ride all the time with bags and stuff in my hands. Going to grocery stores and stuff - maybe this would be harder on a bigger wheel, but I have no issue doing it on the 26".

Also, I think I just realized the practicality of using a unicycle for commuting instead of a bike, aside from the portability - you can eat while riding, because your hands aren’t tied up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing I find that helps me do a “static” mount on a 36er is to start with the back pedal about 45 degrees below parallel and my right foot on it and then roll forward into a not quite static mount. That little bit of forward momentum allows me to use some downward pressure and prevents a rollback. I also keep the saddle in front of me until I actually start the mount. I can static mount starting with the saddle between my legs on the 27.5", but on the 36er it prevents me from getting high enough to mount it.

I noticed on some of Unigeezers videos he starts with the back pedal about 45 degrees above parallel, rolls back to where his feet are parallel and he is on top of the saddle and then hops a couple times to get his equilibrium.

Has anyone tried the fyxation gates pc pedals from UDC? I am thinking about ordering a set and A 36” UDC Titan. I want something with more grip than the stock pedals but not as aggressive and shoe chewing as steel studded. How is the width and durability on those pedals as well? If you have other pedal or 36” uni setup suggestions I would be interested to hear them.

I agree it takes a lot of practice. It prolly works out when I decide not to touch my other 9 unis for a few months, but when I want to go for a ride, it is carpe diem. Just take the first that I feel like riding at that moment. In the end I only ride it only a few times a year. That means I always need to put some time aside to practice mounting.