Wheel size if you only could have just one?

Maybe because it was the first time you tried a new wheel(?). I also found it much easier the second time - going to the 36" (20" to 29" to 36").

1 Like

I think that’s a part of it, I think I got my 20" in May of 2020, practiced a bunch with it to free mount somewhat successfully and found a 24" on Kijiji (Canada’s gumtree/Craigslist) in August so it was still pretty new to me. It also came with a heavy MTB tire and a different crank length (125 on the 20 and 150 on the 24 I think) so there was a lot of new factors to adjust too.

2 Likes

Basically, for freemounting and any stunt the smaller wheel is much easier.
Simple math less wheel radius + more frame height.
On a big wheel you have bigger wheel radius + less frame height.
Less “rolling = smaller wheel” is the key to the equation…I think.
(it’s been awhile since, I’ve put my 20" torker together…however, i learned idling very quickly on that…but on my 24" no so much)

It feels like you have to “throw” your body more over the wheel and “wait” then maneuver to whatever you are trying to do. On a “shorty wheel” it happens almost instantly. You are standing directly over the center of the wheel.

Thus, when I learned to SIF on my 24", I remember consciously telling myself to “lean forward” and let my body “tip forward” almost to the point that I am going to face plant. Then ofcourse, my legs take over and “rock back” but just enough to continue the SIF motion.

Hope this helps others “struggling” with a big wheel and learning tricks…otherwise, get a nice 19/20" fat tire aluminum $400 uni. It would be worth it…I think…slam

1 Like

If I’d only have one, I would choose my 29", because for me it is the easiest to mount. It is a perfect fit and it gives a good speed. I mostly ride the 26" and 29" and since the 27.5" was created, I thought of getting rid of both the 26 and 29 to get a 27 instead. However for now I like to be able to choose what I ride with my trips. I put the handle bars from the 32" on my 29" Nimbus and that was quite the improvement. It is not that often I ride the 32 and up.

1 Like

no. Can’t be done!
I think you need at least 12 to cover a standard unicyclist’s need.

1. 20" for playing hockey
  2. 20" for doing freestyle
  3. 24" for playing basketball
  4. 24" for track racing
  5. 19" for trails
  6. 20" for flatland
  7. 26" for Muni for single track
  8. 27.5" for Muni for general muni riding
  9. 29" for Muni for track riding
  10. 32" for general around town riding
  11. 36" Muni! oh they are so much fun
  12. 36" for road riding… and going super fast!

See, I have not even added in ones for lending to your neighbours, ultimate wheel to keep in your car for impressing people, freewheel hub unicycle… well that is just fun, giraffes! yes you need a giraffe in your collection. Then for super impressing people you need a 2 wheeler!

Ok… :wink:

11 Likes

Tricky but I am going to go with 26 or maybe 27.5 (to allow for certain tyre choices) based on having played around a bit. That said, honestly I could live with anything from a 24 up to a 36 at a push.

26 x3 muni , unless you need to take it on a plane. Big enough to do some mileage and small enough to maneuver everywhere else . But once you have one, you’ll want more.

Unicycle store recommends N+12 lol.

2 Likes

LOL UDC should sell these as a beginner bundle!

5 Likes

Lol the starter pallet, god the shipping wouldn’t be much cheaper for Canada. DHL arrives fast but man it’s pricy. Ordered my air saddles Tuesday my time and I had them before the end of the week.

OK Roger, Thank you I agree I have them all, but what happened to the giraffes and Tandems for showing off? Also the suspension for real comfort on long distance riding and Schlumpfs for multi use?

2 Likes

I think 700c setup with a fast gravel tire, deep carbon aero rim and a Schlumpf would be just about perfection…

… or maybe that’s just N+1 to the current:
24” nimbus”, 27.5x4.5” hatchet and KH 36”

But the Schlumpf Hub is Ecpensive and also the other parts are not the cheapest but I think yeah it is a dream Unicycle.

It is, but still not as bad as what the two wheeled people have to deal with… venturing into their territory is truly cost prohibitive…

1 Like

Most of the two wheelers are cheap bikes and there looks bad. The Expensive Bikes looks good but there not lainig around on the road corner.

I would also choose a Schlumpf Hub, in a 26" Uni with a big slik thire and a handle Bar and 127mm Cranks.

Apparently this is what you are referring to :full_moon_with_face:

Except for the deep rim, which I think is less ideal on a uni, because uni does not need aero but it increases the difficulty to deal with side wind.

3 Likes

Hmm, no 24 muni, or 29 road uni???

2 Likes

Both of those are simply too small, unless you don’t fit the bigger options.

1 Like

I personally do have both of those (multiple times), not sure why they are missing. The 24" that seam to be always out on loan, carbon Mk2 and old KH with a Gaz on it. I have 2x 29" road. One is a carbon Mk5 and also an Oracle that I took to UNICON to race with.

2 Likes

Which wheel size if only one ?
Having ridden 19”, 24”, 26”, and 29” wheeled Uni’s in the last 19 years.
I have learned it depends on the Unicycling one loves most.
I learned that for myself a 26” Muni was the Ultimate and with so many tire options it’s very versatile.
My old titanium 26” Muni ended up as a Guni and for my mountain unicycling top gear was too big.
It would have been much better as a 24” Guni.
Now having lived with a Brain Injury for over six years and it’s not recovered, Plus, needing to live life to the max, but with the limitations of the Brain Injury, I have chosen to go return to riding a 19 inch KH19” unicycle!
This is to limit my overall speed in case I get too excited and want to go fast, Also, much closer to the ground for easy discount.
I know it, 36 inch would be much easier to ride with less brain fatigue, but I cannot afford to bump my head again.
I thought years ago that the ultimate, ultimate unicycle would be a 19” Geared Uni Because it would fit into a suitcase to travel around the world very easily and give us suitable Top Gear to be able to enjoy distance, yet be able to put around busy streets at low speeds and low gear.
It’s matter of just waiting for my new unicycle to turn up. It’s waiting in customs in New Zealand, Waiting for them to work The GST that needs to be paid and then allowing me to pay it before it gets moved onto shipping to my home address by the big pond in New Zealand called Lake Taupo.
Enjoy your weekend everyone I have to go and walk with the boss (the Boss is my assistance dog named Zippy because he Zips about?
:service_dog:

5 Likes