Wheel size if you only could have just one?

This is exactly what I was going to point out: some disciplines require specific unicycles. Other than that, I’m mostly OK with your opinion. And a reminder about geared and freewheel unicycles which should also be a category of their own :innocent:

2 Likes

That’s a relief :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :pray:

Agreed. Those :100: sit in their own space :gear:

2 Likes

So the short answer is, don’t ever just have one.

You can find a good reason to own most of them, which is why so many unicyclists have so many unicycles.

1 Like

I agree with you. But also, it’s takes the fun and challenge out of picking just óne. In reality, non of us are actually obliged to so.
It’s just fun and games… and isn’t that what unicycling is all about… isn’t that the reason it was invented (to answer another resent topic)?

2 Likes

29" with a Schlumpf Hub.

2 Likes

Not really. I would say any of those two-wheel combos for the fullest way to experience 95% of the joys of unicycling - and then you don’t “need” anything more.

1st 29er. 2nd 36er.

Those that (like many of us go further) are a) indulging, and b) pushing up the experience % to utmost nuance of what can be found by difference in the sizes and tech.

Yep you’re right it does.

My previous comment from a few days back settled on 29er and nothing else.

But alas, then my wheel started auto-steering me off the beaten track, to think more about this from a philosophical point of view and to categorise unicycles within the whole range.

I’ve realised I’d have to call myself now a multicyclist. More than uni- or bi- or tri :joy:

2 Likes

My answer to what I’d have if I could have just one definitely varies with time.

Historically it would have been a 36er, but these days I’d probably go 27.5" as it’s the most practical with the dogs, and I have the b*ke for commuting and shopping (which I could never do on my 36er anyway).

2 Likes

I changed my mind. I will have to say 36”. I was just out on the 29”, and it’s just too slow.

3 Likes

You’re go with a Schlumpf, than you’re also fast but it’s expensive.

1 Like

The price is the main reason I don’t have one.
But also, it’s more tricky to ride. I would love to try one some day. But 10k is just too much for a fun thing to try. I only cycle for fun and exercise.

I also think the size [36"] is very comfortable to ride. I have aerobars on mine and can lie on my forearms.

3 Likes

How many in unicycle land has “only ever owned” one unicycle?

2 Likes

Only ever owned one is probably very few (at least for the people that have been active for years).
Only one at a time would be somewhat common among freestyle riders here, the old one tends to be handed down to someone else when they upgrade.

1 Like

I’d say the same: freestyle riders, and trial riders too. For those, the uni is replaced when they upgrade… or when they break it!

I’ve ridden all wheel sizes, but I always go back to 26 inches. I own a 26 inch Fatty with a Surly Nate 26x 3.80 and a “normal” 26 (with rim brakes), so I alternately mount the Surly Dirt Wizard 26x 3.0 or the Vee tire 26x 3.0. I definitely prefer to ride the Fatty. When things get more technical, however, the 26 with the 3" tire has an advantage. Of course I also have a 27.5" wheel to swap. The choice of tires is obviously better there. Still, I keep going back to my two 26s. I feel safest with them. Incidentally, the Fatty with the 3.80" tire has exactly the same circumference / diameter as a 27.5" with a 3.0 tire

2 Likes

I love whenever you post because it’s always a very though out answer about why you LOVE muni and fat unis.

I recently started moving towards bigger tires on my 29", 2.2" to now 3" & 2.6", and have had a 2.75" x 3.8" in the past.

They are very good at absorbing bumps, handle well when the sidewalk is not maintained during winter in my city, and when you pump them up fully they rode quite well on road. I did a 50km ride on my 27.5" and it felt smoother and more comfortable than my 29".

I can see why a fat 26" would be a good all around Unicycle, if you’re not using distance riding or it as a main form of transportation it would be fast enough when mixed with transit or getting to the trail from where you park. Still it wouldn’t be the worst in the world at road and you can always learn to just spin it faster.

1 Like

I think my love for 26 inches comes from my early days. I rode my first unicycle race in 1982(83). We had our own unicycle racing scene in Switzerland with our own rules. We didn’t know anything about the IUF. The races were run with 26 inch unicycles. That’s probably why I love this wheel size. To be honest, there were 4 different 26 inch rims: 559mm, 584mm, 590mm and 571mm. 584mm is now called 27.5", it used to be 26 inches. But the tires weren’t thick.

1 Like

Well after hours and hours on what to buy, I chose to purchase a KH 27.5 from unicycle.com. Thank you all in this community for the input and expertise to help with my decision. Now to wait for it to arrive!

5 Likes

I remember going from 20" to 29" after learning to ride decently, but not completely. It took me a few tries to even get on, but boy! Was that a rush. It felt so fast and dangerous :smiley:
Today I feel very safe and comfortable on the 29". And when you do too, try the 36" - it’s an amazing feeling.

3 Likes

So I went 20 > 24 > 29 and honestly found the 20 to 24 transition much harder than the 24 to 29 transition for some reason.

1 Like

Nice, congrats! I’m sure you will be happy!

I went from a 24 to a 27.5, and it was an adjustment for sure, it felt more intimidating being higher off the ground, and I went backwards on the distance/getting exhausted while riding, but before long it felt normal again, and now the little wheel is the one that feels strange. The bigger one covers more ground and seems much smoother and stable for me once getting used to it.

4 Likes