What's your LEAST favorite riding style?

Why are they freaks?

Id have to say distance riding. I love it, but its at the bottom of the list on what id want to watch, unless it was a well made movie with plot and twists and all, but just watching someone ride with some fades and small scenes, just doesnt do it for me.

I have to judge by video, cause im mainly a trials rider, but also like to do small street, muni, flat and freestyle.

I realize there are a few people who don’t agree with polls, but there are others who do. I was planning on putting these options:

-MUni
-Distance
-Trials
-Street
-Flatland
-Freestyle
-BC Wheel
-Racing/competition
-I love 'em all!
-And I maybe would have put Ultimate Wheel

I think that covers them all with a maximum of 10 options. Anybody think of a style I would have forgotten?

I guess I should answer my own question, now. My least favorite (of styles that I’ve tried) would have to be flatland. It’s probably just because I’ve worked so hard at it and I can’t even get the simplest tricks. Plus when people do it it really looks repetitive.

Don’t listen to the old men ranting about polls. Anyone is allowed to make polls, you don’t have to be good at it, and if you make a bad one you can learn from it and make a better one.

This forum doesn’t have a rule that says only the best poll makers can make polls.
John you should not make any more posts!
A) You do not know what posts are for B)You dont realise that unicyclists are not typical so the cross section is relevant C)The meaning of the data may have some significance unknown to you D) So because some people are dishonest is that a reason to distrust everyone and disregard all data?

Don’t tell people what to post!
Have your 2c but don’t try and have someone elses cents too, let them spend it as they will. If you don’t like the bad polls, don’t read them! Use the search feature to find a good one.

A style that I don’t like is the holier than thou style.

Man, ive been fighting for polls for a while. The main fact is, that we are not trying to gather information from all over. We just want to know the answers from those who answer. Sure maybe its 4 people, or maybe its 30 people but as far as I see, all the non-joke polls made benefit the one who made them. So, they work.

And back on topic. I like all riding styles really, but when it comes to watching them, distance is at the bottom of my list unless its a well put together movie with a plot and fun to it.

You mean a few others who don’t understand what we’re saying. :smiley:

In your list you made the same mistake 95% of the pollmakers here make, you forgot to include “other” for everything else. In this case, that one might also be called “just riding around” which is the “base” style for all the others. You don’t really get into those other styles without being able to ride around first, and messing around is where we figure out what styles we like. Also for Racing you could say Competition Racing. That would cover both track and road, but not suggest to also include the other forms of competitive unicycling, such as Freestyle, Flatland, Basketball, etc.

I’m pretty sure he means Harper, who is definitely older than me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Except that there’s no evidence of anyone having ever done that in these forums. In most cases, the way to make a “better” poll here is to not make any more.

Too bad, since we don’t have any “best” poll makers. That would clear things up quite nicely!

Sorry if I did that, I was trying to tell people what to not post. Seriously, the thoughtful writers will take advice where they find it useful, and the rest will just do what they want anyway. I can’t stop anyone from doing anything here. Only Godby has that power.

The poll feature, for this small sampling of unicyclists, is generally useless. If you actually want useful information, start with your basic question in your thread title, more details in your message body, and encourage people to respond with whatever detail you’re interested in. This gives you a lot more information. You probably don’t need straight a, b or c’s from people unless it’s to use in a much larger survey.

Got to agree with you there. But are we talking riding or writing? :thinking:

Fighting for polls? Doesn’t every user have access to that feature? Anyway, poll results don’t benefit a user if he thinks he’s actually gathered some kind of representative sample. And they do. They often think the information they gather is somehow representative of all unicyclists.

This thread has got quite a lot of interest, and John may be right that a poll might encourage less informative answers and just random clicks of the poll, but that is not a reason to stop you from making this into a poll! The way to get better at making polls is by practising. Just like learning to ride a unicycle- keep practising and if you fail at first don’t listen to the people who have the false view that it is impossible to make a well balanced poll.

If you read my sentence carefully you will notice the plural “men” not “man”. You and Harper both harping on about your pet poll peeves.

And how did you come to the conclusion that there is no evidence? Have you PMed every poll maker to see if they learned anything? I personally felt I learned from making [THREAD=21176]a poll[/THREAD], which now I find the information useless since I hardly ever hop, but at the time I was very interested in the responses, and maybe other people were too.

Well I disagree. Since perfection is unattainable, we are stuck with human communication and if only bad polls are created then they are the best we have got- room for improvement!

You didn’t do that. You told people what not to post- I was being sarcastic and you may not have picked up on it due to the lack of intonation in my text. You are allowed the freedom of choosing to heed my words or not, just like people are free not to listen to your suggestions.

The purpose of this forum may not be the same for everyone. You don’t have to gather useful data. Some people ride unicycles because it is fun. Some people post polls because it is fun. Freedom of speech applies to polls too! As long as the content is unicycling related and appropriate to all age groups, lol. You could also say that the post feature is generally useless- because we are limited to communicative means that can be misinterpreted. The english language is full of ambiguities so you could argue that the forum should be written in a more efficient language.

I’m sure that I detect sarcasm in your confused smiley face- you know I am talking about writing. I’m a hypocrit too some of the time standing down here on my low horse.

Do you really need his sentence explained John? You are deliberately misunderstanding and repeating your same stance. Jerrick has been standing up against the old tyrants like you and Harper- bullying poll makers into giving up their fun in fear of another tongue lashing. The information may be useless to you but that doesn’t matter to me.

When I joined these forums in 2003 I was so amazed at the wealth of information. I felt very isolated and alone on one wheel in 1996- with a few friends trying it but not being anywhere near as passionate about unicycling as me. Suddenly I was connected to unicyclists all around the world! A poll posted here will get way more useful unicycling stats than one posted about unicycling on a bike forum or any other general place. I think you should keep your opinion to yourself about polls in the future :stuck_out_tongue:

Just don’t participate- use passive resistance. Leave the poll-makers in peace!

I don"t think tyrant is accurate there, except maybe the “rant” part. I would use “crank” instead. :slight_smile:

You’re no fun.

Wow. What a hurtful thing to say. I’m emotionally scarred from it and will now need months of counseling (or at the very least some chocolate.) Maybe John and I can go together. Group support I hear is good for the self esteem which we so obviously lack. Why else would we lash out mercilessly at innocent and defenseless “poll makers?”

I think “poll makers” are responsible for the present decrepit state of the world economy. Even Jerrick, who I respect tremendously, is ruining the planet for future generations. I will tirelessly devote my time to eradicating their ranks.

Oh, by the way, John’s the only tyrant. I’m a Kansan.

Good call. I was using the “An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.” definition of Tyrant
Ty"rant, v. i. To act like a tyrant; to play the tyrant

You have no power to tell people what not to post yet because of your strong forum presence and long years of unicycling there is almost a sense of power in what you say, because you post so much good unicycling info that it seems you might know what you are talking about most of the time.

No apology for you Harper :stuck_out_tongue: Everyone knows you jest, as your sarcasm and humour is nearly endless. You are lots of fun!

That’s the idea. I try to use it constructively.

Harper, how about a nice Coker ride on the Iron Horse Trail (therapy)?

I don’t know what we’re going to do for IHD this year. The Snoqualmie tunnel is closed until further notice. Some mythology about danger from concrete falling from the roof. In fact most of the tunnels on the IHT are closed. We’ll work something out and, of course, you’re always welcome.

I don’t particullarly like circus stuff.

I do like trials, I just will never be able to do it…

Road riding. I’d rather ride a bike, or drive.

Thank you for staying on-topic. As for the rest of you, could you please take your discussion to another thread? I didn’t create the one with the intention of finding out what you thought of polls.

Like it all but don’t like to watch cocky riders…

Amen brother

But some of the best riders are cocky! That being said, it’s fun to watch a cocky rider getting bested by a more humble one. :slight_smile:

Some people are listing the styles they least like to watch, which is definitely different from which ones we like to do. For that I’ll assume it’s a competition event and then I’d have to say road racing, unless it’s a criterium race, or XC MUni because, like any point-to-point race you only get to watch one little piece of it.

My least favorite style to do and watch is distance! I just can’t see the fun in pedaling from a to b, when the a and b are long apart.

I’m sure there’s something i have misunderstood here, you would use “crank” instead of “ty”? Crankrant??

my least favourite style is sitting in my garage trying to fix my uni.
I do it too much

Probably freestyle, and in this case I mean the IUF levels. Just not that fun to me. I mix basic elements of street, trials, and flatland in my riding, and I really want a distance unicycle if I ever get the moneyz. As far as muni, I haven’t really given it much of a chance, but I’d like to try some.