What's In Your Bag? Post pictures!

Seems not to agree with hint that it was on album that came out in '78, right?

My guess was “So Lonely” by the Police but I didn’t remember exactly that phrase in it. Outlandos d’Amour was indeed from that year, though it seems pretty mainstream to me.

Great thread. I only ride with a camelbak.
I don’t want to jinx anyone, but how many people get a flat tire on a ride?

Never gotten a flat tire road riding or muni, I’ve blown up a couple riding street though.

Never but I’m riding on a lightweight, thin racing tube so it’s bound to happen soon.

I have, but then again, I was riding a trail that wound through cholla cactus and yucca at the time. So, I guess a flat is not so surprising. :roll_eyes: Though, I’ve ridden the same trails on my MTB a bunch and never gotten a flat.

Nope. Neither of those.

Johnny Thunders?

WINNER!!! From his album ‘So Alone’.

Man, you went pretty deep there. Not just on a solo album from one of the New York Dolls. A bonus track from the CD re-release. I’d heard "“You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory,” but I needed help from Google for that. Good one! A man of taste…

Last time I rode out of the town there was 6 big dogs barking and “playing” with me. I afraid of dogs, so good repeller is what I want. Unfortunately they do not ship to my country :frowning:

I’ve gotten flats on trails, road rides, race training, in the gym, and maybe even during a show once. Keep riding, you will experience some flats.

But this is a thread about what’s in your bag. So the other day, I had to clear everything out of my damaged butt bag (a.k.a. fanny pack for everyone outside of the UK). These are the contents, but are not everything. I’ll explain below.

I want you all to know that it takes a real man to ride a unicycle and wear a butt bag in public. A real man.

Some of these contents are not needed on rides, but this little bag also gets used on other occasions where I want a camera handy, with a little storage (like on trips). I just leave most of it in there most of the time. So, from the top:

• A little stack of wet naps, most of which might not still be wet anymore
  • A clamp shim
  • The $5 crank nut (this is the one I would theoretically sell for $5 to the person who lost theirs out on the trail. I never had the heart to collect. Now hardly anyone rides unicycles with crank nuts on trails.
  • Spare valve cap
  • Shraeder valve wrench and Presta adapter
  • Safety pins, many left over from race numbers
  • A little piece of blue coral, which I've carried since 2006 as a good luck charm
  • Ziplock bags contain ibuprofen and Tums, waterproof
  • Spare ziplocks and some really old business cards
  • The butt bag
  • "Emergency" sunscreen supply (which I almost never use unless I forgot to sunscreen up before the ride)
  • Another thing of ibuprofen, acetaminophen and similar
  • Tiny (bright!) flashlight
  • A ziplock bag containing the tools that are usually loose in there. Have to take them out for recent air travel, so I put them in a bag
  • Sunglass case/lens cloth
  • Reading glasses (otherwise my phone is almost useless to me)
  • Too many pens
  • Canon G12 camera
  • Spare battery for camera
  • Too many memory cards
  • Headphones that I don't use for riding, but occasionally on planes
  • Rubber bands
  • Kodak lens cleaning tissues and another lens cleaning cloth
Missing from this picture:
  • Wallet
  • Keys
  • iPhone
Also I ride with a Camelbak. It also contains:
  • Mini pump
  • Small first-aid kit
  • Space blanket (one of those foil ones)
  • Usually a Clif Bar or two, and some Hammer Gels
  • Miscellaneous other snacks, banana, etc.

If there were an award for “The Most Random Things Found on One Wheel,” I think your bag would win.

I prefer a flesh-colored leather one myself although I don’t usually wear it unicycling so you have me there.

I enjoyed this thread. I definitely will bring some First Aid, patches, and a pump on my next ride. I might get a dog repellent because I was chased by a dog twice in the past.

I’ve had flats. I also have a butt bag a.k.a. fanny pack, though, in the U.K., we know them as bum bags and calling it a fanny pack would cause all sorts of sniggering and smirking - and not just because of the form factor.

Anyway, I use a bum bag for shorter or less strenuous rides where I don’t need to carry as much liquid. Here’s a shot of the contents after last Sunday’s ride of just over 5 miles from my front door and back.

Clockwise, from 12:

• my fanny pack (*snigger*)
  • mini pump
  • pedal spanner (dual-hole moments - I sometimes switch holes on a ride)
  • wet wipes (mostly moist, still)
  • pressureometer, or whatever those pressure gauges are actually called
  • Crank Brothers multi mini 5
  • pen
  • (not sure this clockwise thing is working out properly)
  • a lonely allen bolt
  • a camera tripod (I think I had a camera in a pocket about my person)
  • red light
  • white light
  • travel towel for sweat removal (my sweat, typically)
  • jelly beans

I also add a water bottle or isotonic drink - a 500ml bottle fits comfortably with the other stuff.

The lights switch between unis, so I must have grabbed them and chucked them in the bag for in case I was coming home as dusk gathered, but couldn’t be bothered attaching them to the uni from the outset.

For these types of rides it’s really unlikely I’d bother to try and repair a flat, it would be as easy to walk home or call for a lift, so I don’t carry the repair gear - those patches are heavy.

For those longer or more strenuous rides, I have a Camelbak Mule. Basically I pack the same stuff, but add puncture repair stuff, FAK, more water, possibly more fuel, lights, and waterproof.

I’ve never needed the pen. What would I write on, anyway, someone’s fanny?

Sorry, FAK? Waterproof what?

Wait. What’s random in there? Everything in there has a purpose, or else it’s relatively weightless.

A good example of how some people make bum bags look better than others. :wink:

I used to carry the same one! Later I got a mini Gorilla-Pod, a little fatter but maybe lighter. Lately I’ve come to realize that I only use them 1-2 times a year, so maybe I’ll stop carrying them.

And maybe I’ll add some random jelly beans.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw them. I have a thing for Jelly Beans, especially jelly bellies. What better incentive to ride than snacking on them?

FAK = First Aid Kit.

Waterproof = a waterproof jacket. Isn’t it fairly common to contract that down to simply “a waterproof”, as in, “make sure you bring sandwiches and a waterpoof for the nature ramble on Sunday”? Maybe it’s a regional thing.

I like Jelly Beans a lot, and snack on them at scenic points, but they’re also a pretty compact and cheap way of carrying sugar and getting it into my system quickly in case I have an energy crash. Chocolate Raisins are even better on that score. Also, they don’t go as black and fly-blown as a banana does when left uneaten and forgotten in the bag for a few weeks.

In the States we’d say “a rain jacket for the nature hike”. How I missed FAK I’ll never know, given that I thought K must be for kit, others had posted and mentioned theirs, and I carry one. Anyway, thanks.

P.S. KMC = Kendal Mint Cake.