What Was Your Worst Unicycling Injury?

No worse for wear.

1 Like

I began learning in Feb of this year, 2021, on a 20ā€. Quickly went to a 29ā€ as that was available. I really like it and was doing good IMO. I bought a decent pair of running type shoes that seemed to work. Anyway after a local ride I told my wife I was going to ride to our gym (5 miles or so) and meet her there. This would be my longest ride but I felt confident it wouldnā€™t be a problem. Told her to give me an hour head start. In haste I forgot to double tie my shoelaces. About 2 miles in I was going down a 6-7 degree slope on pavement when my left lace half hitched around the axle at the base of the crank. Injured both arms/shoulders, breaking the greater tuberosity on right. That was 7 weeks ago. About 2/3 way through physical therapy. Doc said bone healing well. Hope to get to weight therapy today.
Have ridden several times since in a large parking lot, albeit very carefully. I havenā€™t lost my enthusiasm but am definitely going to ride more carefully. Iā€™m 65 so healing is not so fast as in my younger years.

1 Like

Oh no! This shoelace issue happens to pretty much every unicyclist at some stage but we donā€™t always end up breaking a body part. :frowning:

Whenever i ride now I pretty much triple tie my laces so the ends and loops are much shorter.
I would also suggest (if you wife is inclined) its not a bad idea to ask your wife to ride with you, that way you can both get exercise and watch out for each other. eg. Can she ride a bike slowly, and you ride your uni?

Anyway, glad you got back on. Also watch for loose stretchy pants legs getting caught by that joint, thatā€™s also happened to me.

My knee is finally at the point where I can show a picture of it that is not too graphic.
Iā€™m an idiot and went back to riding too quickly after the wound had healed the first time around, took a tiny bail and all the new skin slid off like cheese of a pizza slice - so Iā€™ve now gone through the process of healing twice. It was a painful lesson to learnā€¦
Iā€™m still going to stay off the Muni for a few more weeks, but Iā€™m just glad Iā€™ve been able to go for runs, bike rides and a few careful sessions on the freestyle uni the last two weeks.

Wife has a lot of arthritis so her riding days are probably over. (We do the gym primarily so she can swim). I bought hair ties and replaced the laces so that wonā€™t happen again.

I try to ride where ppl are around and carry my phone where I wonā€™t destroy it. And I do the pads. Iā€™m just chalking it up to a fluke event.

MontanaRyder,

When I learned that people were experiencing issues with their laces wrapping around the pedals/cranks, I bought a pair of LockLaces on Amazon. They work great, and give me one less thing to worry about.

LOCK LACES (Elastic Shoelace and Fastening System) (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007DLVLDY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_f2fCVmHT5295g

1 Like

Will check that out.

Buenos Dias

Alternatively, tuck you laces in. I donā€™t mean tuck them into your shoes, I mean tuck them into one of the loops of shoelace on top of your shoe. Hope that makes sense.

Some (MTB) shoes even little elastic loops for this purpose, like the ones which I happen to be wearing right now:

Sorry to hear this, but glad to hear youā€™re on the road to recovery.

Iā€™m 55 and broke my arm on Saturday, had surgery on it on Sunday and am now so fed up with myself because Iā€™ll be out of action for way longer than I want to be.

A while ago I had a conversation with a friend about his perceived dangers of unicycling, and I was pleased to be able to tell him I had never injured myself whilst riding. Then just over a month ago I fell off my 36er smashing my knees. That really hurt! Having healed enough to go back riding again, on Saturday I had my first Muni ride on my new (to me) KH 26er and managed to fall off and break my arm.
X-ray pic here
It was a silly moment in which I mounted the uni just a metre or so from a root, I saw the root and thought I would easily roll over it, had I mounted another metre or so back I would have. Anyway, I failed to roll over the root, the uni went from under me and I put my arm out to stop my fall. The rest as they say is history. I was rushed off to hospital where I was admitted for surgery the following morning, thankfully it all went well and my medical aid has covered all the costs. Phew!
It was a clean break right at the bottom of a pre-existing plate I had put in 10 years ago following an ice skating accident.
So now Iā€™m frustrated at home as Iā€™m unable to go boxing or riding for several weeks whilst the break & surgery heal.

And Iā€™m glad itā€™s not really your wrist but rather, you broke a bone in your lower forearm (The Radius bone if Iā€™m not mistaken). There is a wrist bone (Scaphoid) that can die with wrist accidents due to a lack of blood flow.
Still looked nasty on the x-ray and initial pic though.

1 Like

When I first saw the break it looked exactly like the original break 10 years ago, but as you say itā€™s good that it was my arm rather than my wrist.

1 Like

Luckily you donā€™t need arms to ride. Donā€™t fall off! :grimacing:

Anyway, back to knee padding and guards. Sydney was in lockdown, so I bought Fox knee sleeves in size Medium (thought it would be the right size for me) but when I received them I figured they were too tight for me. :frowning:
I returned via mail at my expense. I looked on Facebook marketplace and found someone selling other knee (and elbow) protectors (ION brand size large). The seller posted them to me but the sleeves on both the arms and above the leg are very long and I wanted to get a set that is going to stay cool while riding. They are probably great for someone riding in a cool climateā€¦
I have the KH percussion set (size medium) but they can be too warm.

Do you want them for road or off-road riding? For road I still advocate for these, they have hard shells which slide and stay nice and cool: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/telekneesis-kneepads/

I wouldnā€™t trust them to stay in place for muni - MTB pads are better there.

Thanks. Iā€™m looking for kneepads for both on and offroad.

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Like so many this has also happened to me. For street and bike paths I wear slip on Vans. For any on rougher trails I have several hiking, tennis shoes and a pair of indestructible steel toed shoes all with Bungie laces. When I see pictures of riders on this forum or others with shoe laces hanging I always send a friendly reminder.

Bungie laces on tie up shoes can be as important as your helmet or any other piece of safety equipment. They are inexpensive and will keep you from forgetting to triple tie.

I ride with my safety shoes. Normal steel toed shoes with shoe laces. But I make a double knots in the laces and thatā€™s hould good. Buncie laces are an option but I never tried then or have the idea that thatā€™s better hold then normal laces. I can give them a chance when I buy new laces for my shoes. In many situations my shoes laces are open and I was ridden my unicycle, the shoe laces was then shorter then the normal length. Upssā€¦ Always i stayed save on my uni but not my shoes laces.

So two years ago I have a bit injury :face_with_head_bandage:. So it heals good but I have some problems with it. 3 weeks ago I have an UPD and it was very bad because I feel off the shoulder, the shoulder is damage like 2 years, and itā€™s hurt a lot. My way I was ridden down I walk the rest off them. Then was I by a doctor but itā€™s okay he said and he give me some Painkiller. With them it goes but I donā€™t ride for a week. Now to weeks later itā€™s better with donā€™t Pain but itā€™s stand out and thatā€™s happens in the last two years a lot but not so hard then in the moment. I hope it build back in the normal form. Itā€™s bad with the injury that come and goes. I think itā€™s an muscular problem, on overload of the shoulder.

Do you know so bad injuries that heals and after month you have problems or by an overload you have problems?

1 Like

Maybe if you do this a few more times, youā€™ll have a callous thick enough that you wonā€™t need knee pads anymore.

2 Likes