What Was Your Worst Unicycling Injury?

Woaw! I love this thread!

Got hit by a grand Cherookee and took of in ambu. Got bruised for 2 weeks, Nothing broken.

Sprained my inguinal ligament. Still fells funny years and years after.

Got a dislocated shoulder doing bunny hop in the traffic zone. Left in a cab passing by to the nearest hospital.

Exposed my tibia doing stair gaps. More pink than white. Nice scar, tough looking.

Landed a few time on my monkey bone (sacrum). Damn. Each time is one to many.

Got 4 ribs cracked last winter, riding on ice spikeless.

Should cover most little things so farā€¦

Wear your protections.

I cant t agree more, Iā€™m a big fan if bungie laces. It took me one crash caused by my shoe laces getting caught in my pedals to discover them. I replaced the laces in all if my shoes I ride with. Also Iā€™m a big fan of checkered vans for casual riding, while they donā€™t offer alot of support they have a grippy sole and no laces and donā€™t hit my cranks.

my shoes have very short laces. Never have a problem of them getting entangled in anything.

I had a weird fall because my foot got stuck between the pedal and wheel doing mounting. It was a running mount and i was ā€œdraggedā€ for Ā½ meter.
Do you think my neighbors helpedā€¦ nope.

Another weird fall I had was also doing a mount. I was out riding and i had a random dismount. I ran it out, didnā€™t get hurt.
When I was trying to mount the 36" again I somehow launched myself up and over the cycle and landed and did a roll. I felt like I was flying several meters into the air :joy::joy: i have no idea of what really happened.

at this point and I hope it stays this way my worst injury was when I was riding my 32 and it was getting dark, I was making a transition from the sidewalk to the road to cross and the shadows were rather deceiving, there was a rather large dip and the uni shot forward out from under me. by the time I realized what was happening I had hit the ground flat on my back and both elbows slammed the sidewalk curb. once I was able to catch my breath and stand up and get the uni out of the road I looked down and of course the road rash was pretty good.
after that and until just recently I always wore elbow and knee pads when riding the 32
that was over a year ago and I still sport some of the scars from it

was tryng to ride backward, got a shinner, didnā€™t really clean it and that is how I got some gnarly cellulitis.

Worst accident was coming off at 34km/hr downhill on an ungeared 36" without any protection. Skinned my right knee badly as well as minor grazes on left knee, both hands and right forearm. I was unable to ride for a whole week. Since it was on the way home from work I got workers comp for the week. Bosses were not happy and eventually I was called in for a meeting with HR and strongly encouraged to stop riding to work. Pctures from my worst accident.

IMG_20200602_143759
Last week I attempted to upshift my 36" guni at speed, I think I was doing 15km/hr at the time. Normally I slow down a little while upshift/downshifting. This time when I did it I went down straight away and the wheel flew right over me as I landed flat on the ground just fortunate the wheel didnā€™t land on me. Was wearing knee/wrist guards so injury was mild mostly grazed my right forearm. I now have elbow pads after skinning my right forearm 3 times so I think Iā€™ll be ready for the 4th time.

Yeah, employers donā€™t seem to have much sympathy. ā€œHowā€™d you mess up your knee?ā€

ā€œTrying to ride backwards on a unicycle.ā€

ā€œGet out of here!ā€

1 Like

Oooh, that reminds me that I had a similar fall on a Schlumpf that Iā€™d forgotten about.

I was borrowing a brakeless first gen 29" Schlumpf from a friend and came off while riding down a hill in high gear at speed.

Somehow I managed to roll as I fell so my backpack and water bottle took most of the impact and road rash, with only a few scrapes and bruises on me.

Ouch!!!

I was picturing you running over your arm or something while still on the unicycleā€¦ Iā€™ve done that on a skateboard, but I was confused how it would work on a uni.

Your bosses take it very seriously. My boss thinks it is good for me to have something that takes me a way from my computer in my spare time. At work I develop software and at home I spend most of my free time gaming . Unicycling only takes 1-2 hours which I donā€™t do every day.
He also said I need to wear extra protection on my head and hands, because he needs those.

So uhm did you stop riding to work? You can just ride at a slower pace or take a smaller wheel, or ā€¦ wear protection.

Sometimes when riding, I think my uni is as stable as a bike and then occasionally I need to stand on the pedals and sit again to get rid of numbness, but then I when doing that too uncontrolled and fast, the uni may make a strange wobble and send me flying.
Also when riding a long stretch, my mind just starts wandering and I donā€™t really pay attention to where I ride. Then a protruding root or bump can instantly wake me up and send me sprawling.
Those are not bad falls, but UPDs that happen because of losing focus.

Well I stopped riding my regular 36" and bought a geared 36" so I ride that instead but I wear gloves, leg/elbow pads now.

So now you go even faster. Did you already have experience with geared unis? I couldnā€™t even ride a geared 26. Will be even harder on a 36". And do you then ride with shorter cranks also?

Actually overall Iā€™m slower on the guni then my ungeared 36" 110 cranks. The commute is barely 3kmā€™s which donā€™t allow me to ride in high gear as much but the constant shifting is great practice. I ride my guni with 150mm cranks, Iā€™ve been tempted to try 127mm but I feel Iā€™m not ready yet. If I had 138ā€™s I think itā€™d be the sweet spot as 150mm is so slow for the hills I ride to work but I canā€™t ride up them in high gear. In perfect conditions on straight stretches I have managed 29km/hr on the guni but generally I cruise at about 20km/hr.

Yes. You really need to be present all the time. I actually tell myself to keep focused, when riding roads at ā€œhigh speedā€. I usually only dismount if I have to do tight manuvers on uneven ground.
+90 degrees turns on my 36" can still be tricky.

1 Like

Never had anything really bad but I twisted the ring finger on my right hand about one month ago on a UPD, while grabbing the handle on the saddle. It swelled and has continued to hurt ever since. I slowly got used to typing without it and have avoided gripping the handlebars and brakes with that finger on my bike rides. Though over the last few days it is slowly getting back to normal. I do now wonder (in hindsight) if I broke or fractured it slightly.

IsnĖ‹t it hard to talk like that?

1 Like

funny :smiley: