What Leg Protection is Best?

Azonics

I am a big fan of the Azonic neoprene shin/knee guards. They are kind of hot but offer the best protection and are very robust. They have simple but very effective desing giving great protection to the knee, Shin and back of the calf where all those nasty pedal bites occur! I actually have two sets. One is size large for winter riding. I then wear them over my jeans and one in size small for summer riding when I am wearing shorts.

Unicorn

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROTECTOR-DH-KNEE-SHIN-GUARD-AZONIC-NEOPRENE-L-XL_W0QQitemZ160092880876QQihZ006QQcategoryZ42326QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Dito, they are also comfylicous.

Here’s some XL RaceFace Indy DH leg armor that’s on sale for $18.75:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PG307B00.aspx?sc=BBBSEARCH&x=y

I have these in Medium, and they work great. I went out on an 8 mile Muni ride when they were brand new, and I experienced no chaffing. I like them better than the old 661s I had, in fact I bought three pairs.

They’re just like the old Roach pads except they have a mesh on the back and there’s foam padding on the front. I’ve fallen hard on these and the foam provides good protection against pointy rocks. Attached are some pics.

The round pad is intended to prevent the top of the knee from rubbing against the outer pad. You have to center your knee on this round pad before securing the straps.

The only problem is they are very hard to find in the usual sizes. I suspect they stopped making them.

DSCN0785.JPG

DSCN0786.JPG

DSCN0787.JPG

Here’s a sizing chart for the Raceface pads:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13536-536_RACIN4-43-Brands-180-Race-Face/Race-Face-Indy-Leg-Armor.htm

right here is the best… they are an EVS, with a foam inside… very comfortable

will kh work with beefy calfs

will kh’s work with really beefy calfs ? i know it’s hard to find ski boots that fix me in a 10.5
my calf are really big cuz i’m a big guy
i just measured there circumfrences is about 19 in will a kh xl leg armor fit me??
-colin

** THIS JUST IN **

UDC has an apparently very limited number of large and X-L Kris Holm leg armor right now. UDC just informed me via email yesterday afternoon.

One large is already gone. MINE

I just got a pair of KH Pads, after wearing out my old 661’s.

The KH Pads sure are different, they feel better for trials seeing there is that open spot around the rear top part, which allows you to bend you legs easier, but the 661’s are great pads aswell.

It’s your choice…I haven’t had enough experience with the KH Pads to say…

Isaac

Thank you very much. I grabbed another pair of larges. My old ones are held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

… Aew?!?
Haha

I was planing buying the sixsixone 4x4, as I’ve heard they’re great, but it’s all too expencive :angry:

I use the EVS OPTION KNEE GUARDS, but they also have a lot of other stuff.
As far as the EVS guards go they are very well padded with a plastic front with neoprene backing and protect from the pedals, frame and pretty much anything you can throw at it. They are good for the price, except the only beef I have is they are a little hot (It was 100 today so hey I’ll give them a break) and they don’t cover a 1in spot between your shoe and guard. I give them a 8 out of 10 since the work so well and are so cheap!

KH Percussion

Are the KH shin guards hot? on a typical summer day its at around 95F and I dont want to burn my legs off… Also, what is the protection in the back like?

Shin guards are going to make your legs dip. Get used to it.

Cant truly answer your other question, but from what I heard, it wasn’t too bad.

Me and my friend just ordered the KH leg armor. Thanks for your help everyone.:slight_smile:

cool…you wont be let down…they are by far the best IMO…but then again i haven’t tried others…but i LOVE mine. One “cool” tip i heard is to line the insides w/ wash clothes soaked in REALLY cold water. I haven’t yet tried it, but i plan to next time its hot enough to bother.

buy the 661s the kh’s have no protection in the back

The KHs have way better protection than the 661s… i rode both and i will stick to the KH.

The 661 Veggie wraps (shin) have pleanty of protection in the back, I love them. They also do not heat up a lot. Plus the small whole in the back lets air in and cools my legs down when they do get a little warm

I think you’ve got that backwards. :roll_eyes:

Whatever you buy, they work better if you wear them. My leg would feel a lot better if I’d been wearing my KHs on the ride I’m just back from! :o