What is the best way to travel by airplane with my Unicycle?

Unfortunately it’s generally gotten harder, not easier. 9/11 was not the reason; rising fuel costs and fierce competition has more to do with it. The airlines have gotten much more picky about your luggage!

Yup, I don’t think it’s possible to make a 36" wheel, let alone bag-with-rest-of-unicycle fit the size limit for checked baggage on most airlines these days. Flying first class can often eliminate this problem though… :slight_smile:

So if flying with a 36", you are automatically stuck with large luggage. I’ve only flown with a 36" twice so I’m not much of an expert, but I don’t think I had to pay surcharges either time. Here are some suggestions to make your life easier:

• Keep it under the 50 lb/23 kg weight limit. If it's underweight, they may find it easier to overlook some size issues.
  • Arrive early! When the pressure is [I]not[/I] on, things may go more smoothly. Try to avoid the rush for earlier flights as well; if possible hit the counter when traffic is light.
  • Be prepared, and polite. This can work wonders! Like anyone else, airline employees appreciate politeness. Have your papers and ID at the ready, and a smile.
When flying with a 36", the airlines have the advantage since you're pretty much guaranteed to be oversize. Therefore, the points above can be your best ammunition. It doesn't really matter what's in the bag if it's oversize, though they may try to hit you with a bicycle charge or make you sign a release due to it being a fragile item. I've had to sign those before. But I've never paid extra for a "bicycle" (even when I've flown with one!).

I have paid for overweight. What are you going to do, you’re overweight? But at check-in, it’s really a crap-shoot. It could be airline policy, it could be the mood of your check-in person, it could be changes in policy, etc. so you can never be guaranteed what your result will be.

That one looks really nice. Just don’t use a bag that says “cycle” (or similar) on it. What you want is for it to look like luggage, and not to stand out.

Small might not be the right word. I would try “It’s only one wheel” and “It’s not even a bike”, stuff like that. But always be friendly and polite, as it can make the difference.

Very nice. But $340?! That’s excessive. Probably great for fragile road bike wheels, but overkill for most unicycle wheels. I still like my inexpensive soft-sided zipper bags with flat bottoms, that I buy from the flea market. I searched yet again for an example of one online… and I found one!! Notice the price! Not very sturdy, but if it lasts even one trip, it was well worth it! A bag like that will hold a 29" uni with ease. I’ve fit up to three unicycles in bags like that, and the end product looks like luggage.

They should accept it as one. Say you are going to race a Marathon and 100k road race at the world unicycling championships. There is no reason to treat is differently from a bicycle. People fly with more bulky objects all the time. Ever seen a cello in a fiberglass travel case? Huge! (I don’t know what the passenger was paying to bring it)

I would search first, as it has probably been covered. But if a dedicated thread hasn’t been done, you could link it to the existing ones on that subject (like this one).

Good luck flying to Unicon everybody! I have opted to not travel with my 36" Schlumpf and 24" MUni. We’re doing a few days in Rome, then Venice, then Florence first. It would suck to drag that big bag around for all those transfers and trains! Instead I will use my flea market bag, with my 24" MUni and my trusty old Track uni (also 24"). :slight_smile:

Follow up:
I just bought one of the bags that I linked to above. I couldn’t find any of those largest ones at the flea market (Denios Farmer’s Market) last time, maybe because they push the limits of airline sizes. So I’ll be flying with a brand new bag for $30. :slight_smile:

And yes, a 29" wheel will fit into the 24.5" wide bag. That’s this one. You can fit a 29" and a 24" MUni. Plus your shoes, pads, tools and a few other odds and ends. Just watch the weight! I use lightweight foam camping pads to protect my gear, and to obscure its identity.

I’ve flown with this one a couple of times. It holds a 29er completely disassembled with pads helmet and tools. It comes with 2 large pieces of foam that go on either side of the wheel. I ended up wrapping all the parts of my uni in towels and then stuffing socks and underwear in as extra padding so things wouldn’t bounce around.

I measured it, and it’s definitely too big. But with my 29 and everything, it’s still well under the weight limit. The gate agent took it without hesitating each time. This may be luck, but so far I’m 4 out of 4.

Hello, fellow travelers!
I wanted to keep the secret until all is set, but since the summer time already started (at least where I live) and many of you want to travel here and there taking your uni with you - here’s a little tease for what’s comming pretty soon :wink:
Some of you, who managed to get to EUC in Miskolc might remember a pre-premiere of a new line of products for unicyclists - it wasn’t perfect then, but some time passed and I can promise you some good thing to show up!
As for the bag - it will be available in 20"-36" range, much lower price than many products recommended in this thread :wink:

DSC_4944.JPG

1 Like

Wow, that looks cool – except for the “I’m a unicycle” artwork on it. Not good for air travel. It’s a really nice looking bag, but looks like it’s limited to one unicycle and not much else. That great if you only need to bring one unicycle, so could be very nice.

If you are thinking of taking much more stuff than only unicycle + few clothes, you will have to consider buying extra luggage anyway - due to weight restrictions.

Looking at other unicycle bags on the market - I don’t think you could carry more than one unicycle either :wink:

The bag I showed above is designed to protect unicycle form any damage casued by rough handling during the transport/cargo loading (reinforcements and paddings). In one bag you can carry everything you need for riding and it’s very handy for shorter transport - you don’t have to disassemble all unicycle…

I have 20" bag from O’some Clothing & Stuff which owca presents. I’m very happy about it and it’s a good way if I need to take my small uni with some protection stuff. I would even say that there is enough place inside to take clothes for a weekend trip. And you just need to take down the pedals, so it is really short time to ride when you’re in the spot.
But it is not possible to put there all the stuff needed for longer trip. That’s why I bought a bag for 26" folding bike from polish company Zator (http://www.zator.com.pl/sklep/pokrowce-na-rowery-skladane/pokrowiec-na-rower-skladany-26-and--strong.html). It arrived today and I think it is bit too big for my 29" uni, but the smaller one seemed to be too small to fit the wheel. I hope I will not fill it totally so I could wrap it here and there to make it look smaller and then we’ll see what they will say at the airport.

DSC01172.JPG

DSC01173.JPG

DSC01174.JPG

DSC01175.JPG

When will it be available?

I would be interested in one for some travel later in the summer. Approximately when will these bags be available?

The bags should be ready anytime soon.
I’m not sure though, if shipping a single bag from Europe to US is a good idea :wink: If you’re planning to travel to Europe - give me a shout and we could try to find a solution!

If you aren’t already going, I highly recommend you go to Unicon XVI and present there. You would see a HUGE number of people and potentially sell all you can bring!

Thank you for the idea, John - I know, I can’t miss it
I’m planning to be there, but before I announce anything I have to be sure that I’m actually able to bring anything with me… I’m doing what I can thinking of Unicon as the brand’s ultimate “day of the trial” :wink:

1 Like

Bring what you’ve got, even if it’s only prototypes. I’m sure people will be interested.

Meanwhile, in the $30 eBay bag department, I received mine today. It’s pretty lightweight. That is, doesn’t look very burly. Probably good for at least one trip though. I’ve yet to decide if I will use that one or my (rather worn) older one.

Last time I flew with my 36er (going home from RTL) I took off the seatpost and pedals, taped the pedals and seat/seatpost/handle onto the wheel, taped the quick-realease to the top of my seat-tube, taped the wheel in the frame to prevent the frame from rotating and showed up at the checkin.

They gave me a big heavyweight clear bag, lipped the uni in, tied the top and slapped an ID sticker on it. I missed some connecting flights and my unicycle didn’t but it was waiting for me perfectly intact and undamaged when I landed in Saskatoon.

No oversize fees, no hassle, no problems.

International flights might not be so easy though.

Hi,
Today, I’m flying to Queenstown New Zealand from Sydney Australia.
Made this case for my 29” KH.

Hoping it arrives well and good. (Fingers crossed).
I had a bit of time over the Christmas/New years break and I built an aluminium frame that is connected to the unicycle by the pedals( using old pedal shafts)
Case shell is made from a plastic sandwich sheet (very tough material) and 3mm plywood sourced from a place called Reverse Garbage ($8)
Total weight (with protective clothes, tools)19kg

8 Likes

That is brilliant!!
Would you elaborate (perhaps via pictures) on the protective aluminum frame that bolts onto the cranks where pedals would be?
Also, where is the frame, saddle, and seat post? Do those all fit comfortably inside?
Congrats again on a very creative solution to traveling with a uni and I wish both you and your uni safe travels.

The best way to travel by airplane is to not travel by airplane based on the past 3 months of air travel in the U.S. that includes the fiasco that happened today shutting down air travel nation wide.

I love to travel by car with my uni, I usually take my 26er muni to the beach to ride on the boardwalk at Rehoboth beach. I now have a 24 oracle that may take it’s place. I plan on taking my 29er to Nashville to ride the trails around the city. I don’t have to package it for car travel, I just need to make sure I have room in the vehicle.

you mean the best option is to have a bridge built over the great pond when traveling from Europe to the U.S.? :smirk:

1 Like

That would be nice and maybe quicker the way air travel has been since covid. If you have to check your unicycle you may never see it again.

Pokalde,
did the aviation security let you to bring the inflated tire?

Cruise holiday perhaps but I don’t think they’d let a uni bigger than 24" board.