What is the best way to travel by airplane with my Unicycle?

This may be an unusual way to do it but they let me just check my uni and put it through baggage.

Well I got back from 2 flights to/from New Zealand and Unicycle is undamaged.
As requested, here are some pictures in chronological order as I disassembled the frame. Hope it helps.

BTW, The Aluminium is 20mm x 20mm x 1mm
Really easy to cut with tin snips. To cut the many cuts to form the two circular pieces I used an angle grinder.
I used pop rivets and Stainless steel bolts and locknuts and strips of rubber from bike inner tubes.

I was a bit nervous about bolting to the brake rotor but the cross pieces strapped to the cranks stiffened the whole structure so no bending could occur on the disc. Also was worried the aluminium pieces located between spokes might move and bend a spoke… that didn’t happen… I packed 5 spare spokes though.
I can use this frame for my KH36 as well. Just need to reposition some of the Aluminium cross pieces to avoid spokes.

Single piece - all components joined by rivets

Single piece - all components joined by rivets

Shell - unbolted and flattened for storage

Plastic box section was ideal - wear and impact resistant

I could have put all parts of the unicycle in the case but was in a rush to pack and was able to pack a second bag. See below the weight if all unicycle parts were in case. 18.9kg including tools and clothes. Max allowable check in weight is 23kg

Spot my white round unicycle case buried under normal luggage when offloaded from the plane. It was checked in as Oversize [fragile].

3 Likes

I deflated the tire for the flight to NZ. Forgot to deflate it flying back. Didn’t have any trouble from airport security.

Really good point though. Could the inflated tyre expand more in flight to the point of rupture?

The baggage compartment is pressurized at the same level as the passenger cabin, about 4-5 psi less than sea level. So it’s the same as adding 4-5 psi to your tire. Probably wouldn’t matter, but in theory, if you were already close to the limit…

1 Like

Modifying my unicycle travel case from 29" to 36"
Could be going to Japan in September to do a bit of uni packing for a few days.

2 Likes

My wife just booked our flights from Aus to Japan with JAL,
and I noticed that there are maximum size restrictions on baggage. 203cm max (Length + Width + Depth)
With excess baggage charges on oversize baggage.

I did a quick measure and if I deflate the 36” tyre I can just get under the restriction. Will have to make the case diameter 85cm x 24cm deep.
85cm + 85cm+ 24cm
=194cm

1 Like

1 Like

Final packing of 36" wheel (frame a aerobar in backpack) for flight from Australia to Japan to ride the cycleway named Shimanani Kaido. 6 bridges from the main island of Honshu to Shikoku. One bridge is 4km long and is actually 3 suspension bridges in series.

8 Likes

Nice job! With rolling luggage wheels on the bottom of the home-made case and everything.
I have a nice upright shaped duffle-like bag, which I have used for many flights with my 29", but I had assumed that the 36" wouldn’t be possible. Nice to know that’s it’s possible.

1 Like

I just got a trolley bag, Vincita sightseer 3.5, which seems great for transporting unicycles when traveling by airplane.The square shape is ideal for a 27.5" wheel and the dimensions meet the regulation for checked bags. Although I thought I might be able to put a 27.5", a 24", and a 20" in it at the same time, actually, even just these three wheelsets are a bit tight. However, at least I can put the entire 27.5" and 24" inside and still have space for knee pads, elbow pads, and clothes, although not a helmet.

11 Likes