Warwick (UK) 36" city road racing 17th Sept

Damn forms have to be in before the 12th, rather than by the 12th, might be a bit of luck as to whether i get an entry.

OK, OK, we will accept entries after 12th September. :slight_smile:

Now we know we have enough entries to make the event worth running we will accept more, but PLEASE let me know by E-mail if you will be attending.

We want to keep entries on the day to a minimum, so we aren’t tooooo busy with “paperwork”.

Actually, for those interested, the main reason for the HIGH entry fee, is to cover the cost of the trophies etc. The event is non-profit making. Nuneaton Juggling Club (or John the Juggler) will not make any profit from this event. Wait till you see the trophies and medals !!! First three in each race get a trophy or medal.

The goody bags are worth OVER £5 each, I know what is in them :slight_smile:

So E-Mail me if you want to take part, that way I have your E-mail address and I can send you the “Race Pack” of info about where it is, where to park etc etc.

See you Sunday. John.

Does this mean you have replaced your stolen coker? :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about Sunday trains (or coaches) too. Leaving Aberystwyth can’t be done much before noon, and it’s two hours to reach the English border, so I’m going Saturday night. Staying with some random relatives whom I haven’t met before, in Coventry and riding over in the morning. Should be interesting.

One week to go!

Sam

Yes yes yes, I’m free this Sunday now.

Will get out the coker today and see how it rides, I may have forgotten how to ride it since I got the Schlumpf.

It sounds like fantastic value in that the medals and goodie bags and things are the main cost, I was thinking it would go on boring practical stuff. Also sounds like some fantastic organisation going on making this happen, hopefully it’ll become a yearly thing.

Joe

Are there any camera-toting types going but not doing the coker race? It sounds like it’ll be awesome to watch, but I’m elsewhere then…

Phil

Indeed. See my attempted hijack here.

It’s fun. Thought I’d finally been properly hardcore with 110s, until I read about silly people trying 102s.

John

Hi Everyone,

The event is getting nearer. Just a few days to go till Warwick.

Any last minute entries? Let me know by E-mail on john@uniquest.co.uk so we know you are coming.

Getting a bit late to post your entry now, so download the form from www.uniquest.co.uk either PDF or HTML, and send me your details so I know how many people to expect. Any problems I can E-mail you a form.

I will then E-mail you the details about where it is happening, where to park etc. As long as I have all your details you can then bring a correctly filled out form, signed and with the entry fee on Sunday.

Don’t forget you will also need to sign-in on the day with British Cycling for insurance purposes, and you need a proper hard cycling helmet in order to ride the course.

STOP PRESS NEWS !!! If you have paid for the 36inch race we will allow you to also join in the “fun” event, as long as you bring a fun unicycle with you, giraffe, kangaroo, ultimate wheel etc.

Although strictly speaking if you want to be eligible for a prize in the “fun” event you really ought to pay the entry fee, if you don’t want to be in with a chance of a prize just join in for the fun of it. :slight_smile:

Come on everyone, make it as much of a spectacle as we can for the spectators. How about two or three people in a line on impossible wheels hanging on to a unicyclist at the front??? :thinking: Use your imagination. Let’s make this so much fun they want to put us on the calendar for next year as well, maybe we can talk them into extending the 36inch race next year to a 10k, what do you think?

See you Sunday, John.

This ‘fun race’ is sounding good! Probably a redundant request, but I’ll need to borrow someone’s ‘fun’ (i.e. non-36") unicycle for this race, as I can only travel with one. I just read the rules about not using 29"+ unicycles on this fun race. The chances of people not bringing masses of assorted unicycles along is pretty low, so I’m sure something will be available. :slight_smile:

Eccentric/kangaroo wheels have always looked fun to me…

Sam

I’m not sure if I’ll make it, but if anyone wants to borrow my delightful Max Challenger, they’re more than welcome. The best way to get it would be to find a Luni that’s coming.
Cheers
Mike

Mike,

Is this event being covered for Uni magazine?

I won’t be there but if you can find someone to take some pictures and do a decent write up then it should be a good article for the next issue.

The fact it is being recognised by UCI is a big step for unicycling so coverage of the first event where they acknowledge us would be great.

Plumsie

I’m not sure, but I have a feeling Mountain Mayhem, Sleepless and various other events where unicyclists have entered are UCI recognised events too. Oh and some guy entered a time trial, that was probably by a BC member club.

It might well be the first ever unicycle specific race under UCI rules though. I hope no-one has smoked any dope recently!

Joe

Oh no! I have been to vanfest. Secondhand smoke everywhere… :frowning: I will be disqualified.

Roger

You can have my torker TX giraffe is you’d like, you won’t be alone as alex is doing the race on his matching ride, I’m opting fo the muni instead as my freemounting is poor. Let me know.

thats one of the reasons I’m not going, vanfest was one big cloud of smoke

Plumsie

I think it’s only common to drug test the 1st 2nd or 3rd riders, so all you need to do to avoid eternal shame and being the first ever disqualified unicyclist, is slow down a bit and let all us slow people overtake you. Simple!

Joe

That explains why things have been rather fuzzy for me over the last couple of days then. :D:D We’ll have to get more people interested in going to VanFest next year, as it’s now turning into a mini uni meet, …complete with secondhand smoke!

Steve

So, people have been asking me what they can ride in the “fun” event at Warwick.

The answer is officially any shape or size of Unicycle (up to 29inch wheel). 36 inch wheelers have their own event.

The emphasis is on “FUN” not winning. So lets see what you can bring, standard 20 inch (boring but allowed), ultimate Wheel, impossible wheel, “multi-wheel” (two or more wheels above each other), giraffe, kangaroo, we will even allow you to use a “front wheel with handle bars” (either with, or without, the unicycle :slight_smile: )

OK, you can ride a “clown bike” (unicycle with handlebars and front wheel attached) Well it is a unicycle at the back !!!

Even those “Skate Bikes” (Qu-ax balance bike style)

As I say, this is a “fun” event, we want variety. Has anyone got a “tandem” unicycle, for two to ride?

So get out all those wierd contraptions and bring them to Warwick on Sunday.

Still not entered? Send me a mail and we can still fit you in. john@uniquest.co.uk

A few “goody bags” left worth over £5 each, entry fee just £5 for the fun event.!!!

Full details of this event at www.uniquest.co.uk

John.

Where are the Lady Unicyclists?

The Warwick event is in three days time !!!

We have a wonderful trophy available for the first lady in the 36inch wheel race, but no ladies so far entered !!!

Come on girls, drop me a mail, get on your 36" uni and show us what you can do. john@uniquest.co.uk

Each race has a magnificent trophy for the winner, and medals for second and third places, in both male and female categories, as well as under 17 years in the fun event. (With grateful thanks to unicycle.com for their assistance with the trophies)

The results of this event will be published in the new unicycle magazine “UNI”. So to get your name in print you need to enter the event.

All entries for the big wheel race having paid their £10 entry fee will also be allowed to ride around the “fun” course on their “fun” unicycles.

However, if you think that after doing the 36" race you will have enough stamina to be in with a chance of a top 3 placing you will need to pay the extra £5 “fun” entry fee to qualify for a prize.

If you are not worried about winning then just join in for the fun of it. That way you can ride anything you like and not worry about speed.

At the end of the day we want these events to be so enjoyable for the crowds that Warwick County Council and British Cycling want us back again next year, and then maybe we can extend the race programme.

See you Sunday.

John.

Can’t wait.

I’ve never done a road race before, what is the start going to be like? Everyone off the unicycles, then at the start everyone mounts, or some cunning way of starting so that people are on unicycles at the start?

Joe

This is incredible.
Congrats to the people who organised the inclusion of unicycles and to the people who are participating.

I’d vote for a Le Mans type start.
It would seriously add to the spectator value of the start.