Warwick (UK) 36" city road racing 17th Sept

This ‘fun race’ is sounding good! Probably a redundant request, but I’ll need to borrow someone’s ‘fun’ (i.e. non-36") unicycle for this race, as I can only travel with one. I just read the rules about not using 29"+ unicycles on this fun race. The chances of people not bringing masses of assorted unicycles along is pretty low, so I’m sure something will be available. :slight_smile:

Eccentric/kangaroo wheels have always looked fun to me…

Sam

I’m not sure if I’ll make it, but if anyone wants to borrow my delightful Max Challenger, they’re more than welcome. The best way to get it would be to find a Luni that’s coming.
Cheers
Mike

Mike,

Is this event being covered for Uni magazine?

I won’t be there but if you can find someone to take some pictures and do a decent write up then it should be a good article for the next issue.

The fact it is being recognised by UCI is a big step for unicycling so coverage of the first event where they acknowledge us would be great.

Plumsie

I’m not sure, but I have a feeling Mountain Mayhem, Sleepless and various other events where unicyclists have entered are UCI recognised events too. Oh and some guy entered a time trial, that was probably by a BC member club.

It might well be the first ever unicycle specific race under UCI rules though. I hope no-one has smoked any dope recently!

Joe

Oh no! I have been to vanfest. Secondhand smoke everywhere… :frowning: I will be disqualified.

Roger

You can have my torker TX giraffe is you’d like, you won’t be alone as alex is doing the race on his matching ride, I’m opting fo the muni instead as my freemounting is poor. Let me know.

thats one of the reasons I’m not going, vanfest was one big cloud of smoke

Plumsie

I think it’s only common to drug test the 1st 2nd or 3rd riders, so all you need to do to avoid eternal shame and being the first ever disqualified unicyclist, is slow down a bit and let all us slow people overtake you. Simple!

Joe

That explains why things have been rather fuzzy for me over the last couple of days then. :D:D We’ll have to get more people interested in going to VanFest next year, as it’s now turning into a mini uni meet, …complete with secondhand smoke!

Steve

So, people have been asking me what they can ride in the “fun” event at Warwick.

The answer is officially any shape or size of Unicycle (up to 29inch wheel). 36 inch wheelers have their own event.

The emphasis is on “FUN” not winning. So lets see what you can bring, standard 20 inch (boring but allowed), ultimate Wheel, impossible wheel, “multi-wheel” (two or more wheels above each other), giraffe, kangaroo, we will even allow you to use a “front wheel with handle bars” (either with, or without, the unicycle :slight_smile: )

OK, you can ride a “clown bike” (unicycle with handlebars and front wheel attached) Well it is a unicycle at the back !!!

Even those “Skate Bikes” (Qu-ax balance bike style)

As I say, this is a “fun” event, we want variety. Has anyone got a “tandem” unicycle, for two to ride?

So get out all those wierd contraptions and bring them to Warwick on Sunday.

Still not entered? Send me a mail and we can still fit you in. john@uniquest.co.uk

A few “goody bags” left worth over £5 each, entry fee just £5 for the fun event.!!!

Full details of this event at www.uniquest.co.uk

John.

Where are the Lady Unicyclists?

The Warwick event is in three days time !!!

We have a wonderful trophy available for the first lady in the 36inch wheel race, but no ladies so far entered !!!

Come on girls, drop me a mail, get on your 36" uni and show us what you can do. john@uniquest.co.uk

Each race has a magnificent trophy for the winner, and medals for second and third places, in both male and female categories, as well as under 17 years in the fun event. (With grateful thanks to unicycle.com for their assistance with the trophies)

The results of this event will be published in the new unicycle magazine “UNI”. So to get your name in print you need to enter the event.

All entries for the big wheel race having paid their £10 entry fee will also be allowed to ride around the “fun” course on their “fun” unicycles.

However, if you think that after doing the 36" race you will have enough stamina to be in with a chance of a top 3 placing you will need to pay the extra £5 “fun” entry fee to qualify for a prize.

If you are not worried about winning then just join in for the fun of it. That way you can ride anything you like and not worry about speed.

At the end of the day we want these events to be so enjoyable for the crowds that Warwick County Council and British Cycling want us back again next year, and then maybe we can extend the race programme.

See you Sunday.

John.

Can’t wait.

I’ve never done a road race before, what is the start going to be like? Everyone off the unicycles, then at the start everyone mounts, or some cunning way of starting so that people are on unicycles at the start?

Joe

This is incredible.
Congrats to the people who organised the inclusion of unicycles and to the people who are participating.

I’d vote for a Le Mans type start.
It would seriously add to the spectator value of the start.

I totally agree. It would look awesome. Though potentially ungraceful and anarchic. Does anyone do kick-up mounting with a coker?!

It could also be a reasonable penalty for using such silly souls as pedal-clip users (I spotted them on your picture John), as it may mean loosing anything up to 10 seconds in go-slow before getting the second pedal flipped to the clip side.

Can’t wait. It’ll be great fun either way :slight_smile:

Sam

Maybe keep the Le Mans for the fun race and allow the Cokeurs to have an assistant hold them at the start. Like they do in track-cycling.

That’s what we used to do when I was (road) time-trialling - just a person holding the bike up by the saddle for the last few seconds before the start, so you could get your feet tightly strapped in (before the days of most people using clipless, although some of the poseurs had Looks). They were actually allowed to give you a slight push as well, so you could start in a slightly higher gear than normal, which might be useful for getting cokers rolling from a standing start (if it’s allowed).

Rob

Well as at least 2 of the UK coker girlies have had babies in thew last 7 months… its up to you cathwod.

Would like to but … Maybe next year.

Cathy

I have just picked up the trophies! wow I want.

Do you think anyone would mind if I schlump 36 it?

Roger

If it helps you keep up, I think we can let you off.:slight_smile: