Videos that inspire you

Show us what videos have inspired you.

These two videos have pushed me to be a better rider.

I love how smooth and flowy they are.
Smooth uphill riding is another very impressive thing.

I’m on my way!

So show us what inspires or inspired you.

2 Likes

I think Dan Heaton’s “Revolution One” is one that did it for me – I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched this. The start is so laid back and understated – he rolls up in his car, takes his uni out, steps onto it and just casually goes and rides over the car… such a cool start to an excellent film.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing, DrD. I completely agree with you. You have just given away the punchline of an important scene. The scene is great partly because it’s completely unexpected to the viewer. Maybe you want to improve other people’s experience by removing that description from your comment (no spoilers).

Hey, Thank you very much for that link Dr. D.
I hadn’t seen the video yet.
My wife and I just finished watching it. She stayed of her own free will!

And no… nothing was robbed, kept away, or violated because of your comment.
Mr. kk is just being overly sensitive.

Unfortunately you can only edit posts for a limited time and that has expired, so it will have to stand as is – having watched the beginning many times I would say that knowing what is about to happen has never detracted from my enjoyment of it.

If you liked that, George Peck’s “Rough Terrain Unicycling” is also on Vimeo, remastered by his son, I think it is linked elsewhere on here, but it case you missed it:

If you watched Revolution One you’ll probably have seen that Mr Heaton has also put the full version of “Defect” on there, probably a different kind of inspiration, but hey, no spoilers…

Also, I found all of Ed Pratt’s videos fairly inspirational in general, the fact that this 19 year old guy set out on his own to unicycle round the world certainly deserves some respect. As well as the unicycling aspect, his interactions with people all over the world highlight that there are good people everywhere, being reminded of that is sometimes a good thing.

3 Likes

Definitely. These days we’re so often told how mean and risky the world is that it’s good to be reminded of what’s possible. Unicyclists seem to have the right outlook on life (I mean really, have you ever met a pessimistic unicyclist?).

I’m really keen to pass that outlook on to my kids.

No, both of them seemed to be in good spirit :slight_smile:

These are two very inspiring videos to me:

3 Likes

It has been a while since I’ve kept up with unicycle videos. I don’t know who all the riders are anymore. I’m impressed by how many more women are riding street and trials than there were even 5 years ago. It used to be the same 3 or 4 riders in every video. Those disciplines are becoming more competitive.

2 Likes

This was just posted on YouTube yesterday – Mike Taylor in the Faroe Islands in 2015. I think it is an absolutely excellent video, both from location/scenery and riding perspectives, and of course very inspirational! ( :walking_man: … going to get my KH20 from the shed… :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

This video inspired me to never give up.
Fail until you win.

4 Likes

Nicely put – that should maybe be a phrase to live by.

1 Like

this one inspired me. It has been in my youtube faves. Also like the song that plays by Milky Chance. When I started unicycling, I showed that to my family as to what I hoped to one day do. Unfortunately we don’t have such surroundings here and Im too chicken to actually make such hops. The rocks look quite hard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A channel that inspires me is https://youtube.com/user/jugglerjim01

Every week he posts videos of him going along one or two trails in country England, mostly of people’s reactions to him riding.

He brings such joy to each ride. When I get better at riding and go for longer rides I hope to be as patient and cheerful as he is.

I don’t think he does anything particularly amazing on the unicycle, but as a bit of a newbie who hasn’t gone more than a km in one go yet, he does inspire me.

1 Like

He is like me, staying polite to everybody on the road, saying “hi” or “good morning”, coz he knows people will look funny at him and by greeting friendly, people are less prone to come with stupid remarks. There where he rides through the tunnel, I think he should have gone a bit faster. Poor car having to wait so long for one small wheel to pass :slight_smile:

1 Like

A great one, which also features several inspiring titles that came before it. Perhaps the original, at least for off-roaders, is George Peck’s Rough Terrain Unicycling. Every time I saw it, it made me want to head out to the trails! And then, of course, Universe, Dan Heaton’s first “Extreme Unicycilng” video, which sent us all down a new rabbit hole of nutty things people could do with unicycles.

There was one before George Peck’s video though; one that I don’t think can be found on YouTube. The title might have simply been “Unicycle” (which would make it hard to search on), and it was made in 1980-81 with scenes from the very first unicycle convention I ever attended, the 1980 USA National Unicycle Meet, Kokomo, Indiana. It was made by Cory Riback and Linda Ann Watt for National PBS in Washington DC. It also featured some clips of Bill Jenack, who I call the “Father of Modern Unicycling” and is hosted by his son, JeanPaul Jenack.

What a great thread, where we share our collective inspiration!

1 Like

I guess John, you are the only person featured in Revolution One who is still regularly posting on here, that is a shame.

There is a link to the remastered version of George Peck’s video on Vimeo above (in this post), the quality of the Vimeo one is much higher than that on YouTube if I remember correctly. I always find his method of getting over stones on the beach pretty amazing.

It would be nice if a digital copy of the PBS video you mention could find its way online, it would be good to see some of the earlier roots of the sport.

DrD, I did a little searching last night and found Cory Riback’s website. Sent him an email asking if that video is available for sale or online. Seems a shame to keep it locked up at this point…

Re George Peck’s hopping; We used to call that Pecking, in his honor, but that name faded away. The many-small-hops style he uses in the video is appropriate for the narrower tires that were common at the time. The narrower the tire, the more pressure you had to use to keep the rim off the ground, which also meant reduced grip.