Unicycling Vocab Change

http://marsht.tripod.com/kooshkoosh.html

A quote from the above link:

gingerfreek beat me to the post by a few minutes. But it’s 5:00 am right now so I have an excuse for being slow on the draw. :wink:

Anyways, I should have also given the link to the entrace to the Marsh sisters web page. The main page opens in two frames and you’re not going to see the frames by following the previous link.

Here is the main page in all of its glory
http://marsht.tripod.com/

It’s a great page for reading up on skills and technique.

Re: Unicycling Vocab Change

Language evolves naturally. New words are often coined
for the most unexpected reasons. I think it is probably
pointless to try to impose ideas. Some terms may or may
not take, but language is not designed by a committee.

Having said all that, when I come up with an neat trick
never seen before - unlikely in the extreme - I hope it will
be commemorated with the name ‘aardvark’. I have visions
of generations of unicyclists trying to explain it to the
uninitiated. :slight_smile:

Perhaps it could be applied to a certain line in ballistic
dismounts, in which apparently I excel…

Arnold the Aardvark

Re: Re: Unicycling Vocab Change

i think another way of illustrating this basic truth is by considering the fact that, despite the fact that kris holm is pretty universally regarded as being a trailblazer in the world of xtreme uni’ing, there isn’t a single trick or technique that carries his name

i’m not saying there shouldn’t be
i’m simply pointing out that u would expect there to be, but language does it’s own thing

arnold’s closing paragraph does raise an interesting question tho,
if u had to have a trick or technique named after u, what would it be and what would u like it to be called?

i’d like the ‘jjuggle’ to be the act of thinking while u ride
:roll_eyes:

the ‘harper’ be the ability to make quickwitted comments while freemounting a raffie
:wink:

the ‘accord’ can be a fall that leads to a broken neck
:thinking:

and the GILD?
well, i’m busy working up a set of basic ‘magic’ tricks i can perform while idling
who knows?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Wearing a Darth Vader mask and riding in front of your Sofa?

Hmmmmm

Those poor bikers only have a handfull of skills. It must be easy for them to remember them. Unicyclists, being creative, have hundreds of skills. Skills with even slight differences can be much more difficult (or easy).

Why don’t we post the full list of currently named skills and come up with a new list. The first unicyclist that can remember all the names and their corresponding description can be president of the USA.

The new unicyclist skill levels can be based solely on how many of the skill names you can remember, not whether or not you can do the skill.

I’m cool, I know lots of names!

Who was it who said “A skill by any other name would produce just as much sweat”?

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> Having said all that, when I come up with an neat trick
> never seen before - unlikely in the extreme - I hope it will
> be commemorated with the name ‘aardvark’.

“The Aardvark” - The act of inviting people who live X miles away on a
unicycle ride while failing to invite the person who lives X/10 miles away.

More advanced versions of “The Aardvark” can be performed by adding the
following moves:

1. Visit the uninvited person on your way back from “The Aardvark” and
    eat his chocolate biscuits.

2. Inform the uninvited person that you had invited lots of other people

• including those with bikes!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

I vote that we change the names, the old descriptive names suck. I think that over time the names will change it’s just that it’s such a new sport.

Logan

George: “Well, Jerry, I’ve been thinking. I’ve gone as far as I can go with George Costanza.”
Jerry: “Is this the suicide talk or the nickname talk?”
George: “The nickname… George, what is that? It’s nothing. It’s got no snap, no zip. I need a nickname that makes people light up.”
Jerry: “You mean like Liza!”
George: “I was thinking T-Bone.”

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Or we could just keep everything the same and say "screw bikers and all their original jargon that doesn’t describe the trick except 180, 360, 540, 720, etc. " and then we will not look so confused because we aren’t adding new lingo, so we can stick with what we know, so as to make ourselves look all the more superior. And if they don’t understand, that’s not my problem.

What is a “bunny hop,” other than the attaching of “bunny” to a hop? Does it describe a specific move? If it does, in many cases this is a trick you do on a bike while coasting.

Rolling hop separates itself from a static hop in its own name. No need for explanation.

Rolling Unispin - is not an official name for a unicycle trick. In fact, I’m not sure what it is. Going by the “accepted” definition of Unispin, it’s a contradiction in terms. But it sounds like an interesting move…

Static hop to the front - Also not an official name, but again it’s descriptive (and boring). But Pedal Kick to me sounds like one of those things you do to the side (on a bike at least).

Static hop to the side and Side hop - Again not official names, but side hop works fine for me.

So where am I getting my “official name” information? The same place people should look first when they want to know what a koosh koosh is; the IUF Rulebook. It’s free, on the Web, at the IUF Web site.

For the most part, if it’s not listed in there, it doesn’t have an “official” name. But of course there are tons of moves and techniques that are not covered by the Standard Skill list. Some have widely accepted names, and others don’t, possibly because not enough people know about them.

The IUF was thinking of the bigger picture when naming skills for Standard Skill. The bigger picture is a world where people speak many languages. So the names chosen for most skills are descriptive in nature, so they’ll be the same names in Japanese or German, and people will know what to do.

It’s possible in future years that some skills will develop more “fun” names, and these names will be known internationally. Koosh koosh is one. Though the name does not describe the trick, the name describes the sound, which is where it comes from. So it makes sense. Plus, a descriptive name for that trick would be a mile long. Something like “Wheel walk one foot behind frame with other foot used as a brake” or something.

I’ve heard of Toofeno, but don’t remember what it means. Like UPD, I have only heard the term used here (in Cyberspace), and not in any “live” unicycling situations. If it is a locally accepted term, it has the possibility of growing to cover wider areas. This is one way a trick name can be developed.

But as has been mentioned, trying to force certain names usually doesn’t work. Even big names for big things. For ten years and more, I’ve tried to be the “name police” for competition events at USA and IUF conventions. But people still call things by the wrong names. Standard Skill still gets called “Standard Artistic” or “Standard Skills.” The Slow Race gets called “Slow Boards” (I’d find “Slow bored” acceptable as a funny title). Pairs Freestyle is supposed to be nothing but that, not “Pairs Freestyle Artistic” or “Pairs Artistic” or “Couples.”

Please try to use the correct names, for things that already have names. Especially if you are making convention database software, or any printed materials for unicycling competitions using the events named above.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 03:49:36 -0500, GILD
<GILD.lvb2c@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>and yet i think dave’s first mention of the UPD was less than 18 months
>ago (cue klaas to confirm)

That’s right, 7 Nov 2001.
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/upd.htm>

Personally I’m conservative too and I like descriptive terms best. All
the questions about what a koosh-koosh or a toofeno is do only
corroborate that point.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"The longest place name still in use is Taumatawhakatangihangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaunga-horonukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu, for a New Zealand hill. "

Koosh koosh is indeed the internationally accepted name for that trick. The name comes from the sound of the scuffing foot.

Toofeno and Suicide are not officially accepted names. Suicide has been around a lot longer, and is more widely used though. I would tend to think of it as sub-official, in that it is used in multiple countries, and most savvy unicyclists know what it is (a free jump mount).

Gliding is one I never thought about. It doesn’t describe the sound, and it has caused great confusion over the years from people getting it mixed up with coasting. But if coasting is actual coasting, you need a name for the thing you do with your foot dragging the tire. The name dates back to 1981 (if not earlier). But it was the only name people used for that skill at the time, at least among the people who wrote skill levels and competition rulebooks.

“toofeno”, read backwards, “onefoot”. That’s that.

Later,
Eli.

Maybe calling it scuff gliding rather than just plain gliding would clear up the confusion with coasting. To glide you have one foot scuffing the tire.

Is anyone doing this? I’m working on a data model for Standard Skill, one that allows you to pick the skills you can do and add them to a list, hopefully adding up the total for you.

It might be nice if you could use it while watching others perform, but that might require really fast fingers.

Hei

I dont want to be an ass but what does static mean? As in a static mount and static hop or something. Thx

If so, what’s scuff gliding?

My understanding of the meaning of scuffing, when done in BMX Flatland, is pushing the front (or back) wheel while standing above it, and (usually) with the other wheel off the ground. But this scuffing motion is more similar to what we call walking the wheel.

So to me, gliding is less of a scuff, and more of a “Zzzzzzzzz” (the sound, not falling asleep). I would not want to call it zzzzzz though. I have always liked gliding as a name, because for us unicyclists, it meant the earliest form of freedom from pedaling. By earliest I mean it’s a lot easier than coasting…:slight_smile:

Re: Re: Re: Unicycling Vocab Change

If you mean using the proper names, the answer is not always :slight_smile:

That would be very cool. The Unicycle Convention Program, developed over the years by Andy Cotter, does this. A standalone module of just the Standard Skill part would be pretty cool. The larger program is written in Acces, and you would probably want to convert it to something more portable, like some Web-based technology for instance.

Make sure your program allows no more than the maximum number of mounts, transitions, and stationary skills, as provided in the rules.