Unicycling in Copenhagen...

Not sure how many riders from Denmark scan this forum, but thought I’d give it a shot. I’ll be in Copenhagen later this month with a free Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I won’t be able to bring a uni along with me, but if there are any local riders that would be interested in doing a ride AND would have a spare unicycle to lend, please let me know. I don’t really have anything to offer in return except my wit and charm, which aren’t much. But I’m excited to explore this lovely city, and it would be fun to see some of it on one wheel in company of another unicyclist.

Reply to this thread if interested and we can then figure out details by PM.

Thanks,

Tom

Try a web serch for “Københavns Cirkus Klub” or “Cirkus ChangHigh” they are a group that use unicycles a lot in performance who are based in Copenhagen and I think are the ones who organise the round tower race each year. As an alternative try a round tower race serch and see what that gets you.
I had some e-mail corsepondance with Jan who runs the circus group a few year back and he was most helpful.
For info on the main stream sport uni clubs in Denmark take a look at http://www.unicykel.com/klubber/dk.htm

Sarah

I’m from denmark. but app. 3 hours from Copenhagen but I know olot of Unicyclists from Copenhagen…

I might be in cpoenhagen sometimes in shies mounth…

the circus Changhigh don’t do mouch any more, not even the round tower race…

let me know some more datails about your trip/plans for your wisit, we can for sure show you Copenhagen…

/Jesper

I’m not yet sure if I have free weekends the next couple of weeks (I’ll find out in the beginning of next week).
If at all possible I’d be happy to set aside an afternoon. In any case I have a 20" and a 29er frame with a couple of spare wheels. You’re welcome to borrow one of them.

This past Sunday was an enjoyable highpoint in both my traveling and unicycling history, and yet another reminder of just how strong and well-connected the international unicycling community has become.

When I found out I was going to be in Copenhagen for work, with a Sunday to myself, I posted this thread. Shortly came a reply from (Morten) Borges, an RSU regular who lives near the downtown area. I also received a reply from Jesper (jyden), whom I had met at Moab Muni Fest 2005. He could not ride that day, but gave me the e-mail for (Lars) Lottrup, whom I had also met at Moab. A few e-mails and PMs later, we had arranged meeting time and location, and Lars had generously volunteered to lend me one of his unicycles.

The nice thing about unicyclists is that even if you’ve never met them before, it’s not hard to spot them in a crowd. At the arranged time, Morten arrived at my hotel on his 24X3 Fireball. We got acquainted and discussed the pros and cons of the Fireball, and shortly Lars arrived on Coker.

Turns out the Coker was for me, and Lars had a 24” in a nearby car for himself. I guess I shouldn’t really call it a Coker, since it was completely lacking any Coker parts. The frame was a baby blue custom-made by Gus Dingemans, and the tire was one of the new “Wheel TA” 36" tires from Europe. The cranks were 125s, which I’d never ridden before, so it took me a several tries and some tips from Lars before I was able to freemount and successfully pedal away. After the first several failed attempts, I got a bit discouraged, telling Lars maybe I’d be more successful on the 24”. Fortunately, Lars would have none of that, thus not depriving me of the opportunity to tack on some new “urban Cokering” skills.

So it was time to mount up and start the ride. We did a little weaving through the mid-day traffic, and had gone less than half a mile (with a dismount or two on my part) when we came across one of Copenhagen’s well-known coffee shops. Break Time! Lars ordered his “to go”, and I just knocked back a quick double espresso inside the shop, as I knew there was no way I’d be able to handle a to-go cup whilst riding when I could barely get and stay on the Coker.

Most of my Coker riding is “open road”, and I’m used to going fairly fast on smooth pavement for miles at a time without slowing down or stopping. Cokering in Copenhagen city has none of this. Even in the bike lanes there are frequent traffic signals, but the really interesting sites require you to get off the main roads and onto the smaller avenues and squares that are closed to motor traffic. These pedestrian streets require slow, precision riding, with lots of weaving back and forth to avoid hitting people. Riding at walking speeds is tough, but the challenge is compounded by the street surface, which is generally uneven cobblestone, with lots of little curbs to negotiate.

Side Note: As is my standard practice, I tried several times to take out my fellow riders via sudden swerves or “loose cobblestone” UPDs, but my efforts were in vain. I think my fellow Seattle riders must have wired ahead and told them what to expect.

It was a great tour in the company of great riders. My co-workers from Denmark were amazed at how much I was able to see in just one afternoon…as we basically ticked off most of the key sites from the local “tourist guides”. We rode across the plaza at Central Square, home to the old city hall building (if I recall correctly), then by Tivoli Gardens (closed for season), the Stroget pedestrian shopping street, and Nyhavn Canal with its amazing old sailing ships along the waterfront. From there we rode to the royal Palace, and around its huge cobblestone courtyard. The Queen canceled our appointment, unfortunately, but at least one of her guards agreed to pose for a picture with me. We then crossed the street to the waterfront to admire the new Opera House, before making our way back through the old part of the city to Christianshavn, home to Christian’s church with a very tall, unique, and climbable bell tower. The first 60 meters spiral up inside the tower, but from there, the staircase emerges to the outside, and spirals up another 30 meters or so, getting narrower and narrower until big people get stuck and only a brave child could go further. The tower was the high point of the day for me, and the adrenalin from the climb—along with a quick sandwich from a local café—gave us the energy needed to work our way again through the old city and back to the hotel. Here’s a picture of the tower taken by somebody else.

So it ended up being a day of firsts for me. First time riding in Copenhagen, first time on 125 cranks, first time trying the TA 36 tire, first time managing the two- or three-person “handhold stillstand” at a stoplight (normally I’m the fatal weak link in the chain), first time on any 36” where my “miles ridden” and “average speed in mph” were both 5. And first time meeting or riding with Borges, a fine rider and—along with Lars—a great tour guide.

Because I’m an idiot, I neglected to pack along a camera for this three-country European trip. Fortunately, Lars took a good number of pictures during the ride, often while in-saddle. He has promised to post them online sometime soon, and I’ll try to steal some of the best ones to post in my gallery.

To paraphrase Harper: unicyclists are great people…you should seek them out and ride with them wherever you travel. Thanks to Morten and Lars for a day of riding I’ll never forget.

Sounds like you had a great time in a country I’ve always wanted to visit! Now that I’ve started unicycling, I’m definately going to seek out unicyclists in the cities that I visit abroad.

What a gas, Tom. Let’s go to New Zealand and see what Ken Looi’s back looks like.

Just bring a camera to prove you’ve been there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like an awsome trip!
We need to make some kind of hard uni suit case to take our Cokers or reg unis with us when we travel and be protected something like the ones for bicycles when going on planes

Yeah, although even a good soft bag for the wheel would be a start. Nathan has a pretty cool setup that they designed, hand made. Zip up round bag for the wheel, with a shoulder strap for carrying. Not as nice as a custom-sized Anvil case, but a lot cheaper.

Oh, yeah, after seeing pictures from (uni)Tyler’s thread about unicyling adventures, I can’t WAIT to go back to Oz/NZ to uni. Some of the views were breathtaking! I can’t even imagine seeing 23948623948623sheep via unicycle!

I thought rappelling 100m (300ft-ish) in NZ was amazing!

I think I might be getting a Coker for Christmas (actually, from now on I’m going to say “x-mas”…I’m sorry, but I don’t like the word…ah, bah!..this rant’ll go in another thread) and I can’t wait to see the world on it! But, yes…about transportation…? Do they actually have some good bag for transporting a 36" rim?

Oh, yeah, after seeing pictures from (uni)Tyler’s thread about unicyling adventures, I can’t WAIT to go back to Oz/NZ to uni. Some of the views were breathtaking! I can’t even imagine seeing 23948623948623sheep via unicycle!

I thought rappelling 100m (300ft-ish) in NZ was amazing!

I think I might be getting a Coker for Christmas (actually, from now on I’m going to say “x-mas”…I’m sorry, but I don’t like the word…ah, bah!..this rant’ll go in another thread) and I can’t wait to see the world on it! But, yes…about transportation…? Do they actually have some good bag for transporting a 36" rim?

I’m sorry about the appointment with The Queen didn’t work out. She was supposed to meet us at the coffee shop, but she didn’t show up. Then we went over to her place, but we didn’t find her there either. Well… her loss, because we had a great time.
For me the ride started bit of problems, since my 29er wheel, which I had planned to use, had a flat and I didn’t have the time to fix it. Luckily I managed to switch to the muni wheel and get to Toms hotel in time. From there on everything worked out fine. Tom disappointed me at first by looking nothing like his avatar, but he turned out to be a really nice guy, and not at all
dangerous to ride with once the cokers seat was adjusted and he got used to the short cranks.
It was fun to play tour guide, and I got to hear about the unicycling scene and sites of Seattle.
I wish I could have gone too the unicon when it was there.

A very nice story to read!

Way to go unicyclist.com! :slight_smile:

We were hoping that you would like him enough to keep him.

Tom, thanks for the great story of your ride in Copenhagen! Sounds like you saw a lot more than I got to during my short visit in 1983, when I was hosted by Jean Ascher (Cirkus Changhigh). It was during the work week and in November, so daylight was very limited. But I did get to see the “hippy village,” Christiania.

Sounds like a great early teaser for Unicon 14, which is planned for Denmark in 2008.

Your story was a great reminder for us to look up our fellow unicyclists, if we can, when traveling! I’m in Sacramento, CA. My most recent visitor was Dustin Kelm.

It was a great day in town. I havent forgotten to post the pictures, but I had to format my pc, so it will take a day or two more.

Just say if any of you are comming to Denmark, it is alway great to meet people wit the same passion!

Lars

FINALLY pic on the net

Finally I did get my selve pulled together to put the pictures on the net.

They can be found here:

If the linnk dont work, just go to www.unicykel.com and head for Fotos.

Thanks for a great day.
Lars

Here you got the handsome guy:

Lars, thanks for posting these photos. It was fun to watch you ride ahead, pull an instant 180, then idle while shooting us riding by. I wish I had my own camera so we could have some shots of you riding as well.

Thanks to you and Morten for your excellent hosting and tour guiding. I can’t think of a better way to see Copenhagen. I hope I can one day return the favor in Seattle.

Tom