Unicycling bad for testicles?

Absolutely no offense intended but I could not disagree more with this statement. This is the exactly the struggle I’m having with road unicycling. Muni isn’t so bad as your weight is off the seat a lot of the time.

I have spent and still do spend many hours on b*ke saddles with very little to no discomfort. On a bike the seat is supported fore and aft so it is possible to roll your weight back onto your sit bones and off your taint. On the uni you cannot do this as rolling back shifts the CG. I’ve tried a KH Freeride, air saddles some designs of my own, but after about 5 miles I’m spending more energy trying to decrease the pain than I am propelling the uni.

If anyone has a great suggestion for resolving this my nads are all ears so to speak. (Just kidding it’s not really the nads that are the problem.)

I’m so determined to find a solution I built this thing. It’s geared to the equivalent of a 36er.

I ride a bike every were also and get no pain and have done some 10 mile road rides on a 24 with no discomfort that’s the way I look at it.

Well this won’t help at all, but I get pains from bike seats, and actually prefer unicycle seats. And I get a lot of “nut pinches” on bike seats (even with bike shorts) and that doesn’t happen to me on uni saddles. Maybe my balls are just too large :wink:

Probably true for me, since I don’t do any bike riding to speak of. Probably not true for anyone that regularly puts lots of miles in. You get more of your weight off your crotch with a proper road bike setup.

Is your doctor using the unicycle as a scapegoat or does this seem like a reasonable assumption? I don’t know what prostatitis is, and it probably depends on your type of riding, riding position and type of seat.

In the early 80s there was a buzz in the mainstream press about so-called Unicyclists’ Sciatica; lower back pain attributed to unicycling. Except I never heard of any actual case of this. Anyone who rides regularly has very strong lower back muscles. But that’s not the same as the prostate area, which basically gets smooshed when riding, so your doctor could be right.

Oh, to be 16 again… :slight_smile:

Hey I live being 16 with a nice bike and unicycle! But if I wasn’t 16 Mabey I could get a real job and get a new 26 muni and a 36er and sell my bike (it’s worth more than my truck)

You built that thing?

Pedal-strike much?

Are you trying to say it sucks to be 16? That’s an argument you are going to lose. Lose bad. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it looks interesting. Like a skate bike that’s actually a bike (not a tricycle). But how does it steer? Or does the front wheel just lift off the ground for turning? Freewheel?

I LOVE being 16 butit is hard to get a real job ( not mowing lawns mulching gardening ect…) but yes it sucks at times but over all i love having my license and being able to go farther than i could if i was riding my bike :slight_smile:

Chamois Butter

I had the same problem, I wont go in to the painful details!!!

I found that loads of Chamois Butter (available from UDC) cured it :slight_smile:

Love that stuff. I even put it under my knee pads on hot summer days to prevent knee pad chafing! BAM!

It is actually a unicycle. The front skate wheel, which is not steerable, is only there to prevent pedal strike when stopping (intentionally or otherwise). It’s not bad to ride and is faster than my 29er. Setting up a higher or lower gear is simple. It seems easiest to ride in about the equivalent of a 29er gearing. The 36er gearing seems a little tougher for me to get used to. I also built one with a 29er wheel but the balance envelope seemed really critical to me.

It does take some getting used to and is certainly not as practical as a regular uni. On the plus side it is very compact and I can flat foot at rest. When in riding trim the crank center is about 11 inches off the ground so about the same as a b*ke. Of course this height fluctuates as you balance it. You can keep going if the skate wheel touches down but its best not to leave it on the ground for too long.

It may take a while but it is possible. I don’t do a lot of long distance riding but I regularly ride 4-8 miles Muni and would have no problem (other than some chaffing) doing 10-20 miles on my 36-er. I do it every now and then but prefer Muni. The key is to find the right seat and angle that works for you. It may be counter-intuitive but angling the front of the seat up has helped me, having it flatter crushes the boys.

+1 Once I started angling the front of my seats up, the discomfort went away. It looks like it would be more uncomfortable, but it actually makes BIF (balls in front) easier. I like my seat where the back of the seat is relatively perpendicular to the seatpost.

I hate it when people say i have no balls because i ride a unicycle. i just feel like bitch slapping them across the face with my unicycle and telling them that im sitting on my ass not my fricken balls! but i supose people are just jealous of my awsomeness.

You just have to look at it this way: The men who make that comment are insecure about their own manhood. Because any man with half of a brain knows that you aren’t sitting on your junk.

Tilting the seat up can help, but too far up and it’s just as bad or worse.

Try some bike shorts with thin padding or just use some lycra compression shorts.

Consider trimming the foam at the waist to give more room

Get some rub on anti friction stuff, works great for keeping things slippery.

Of course there’s always manscaping…

If we are talking road rides there is always the option of switching to bike seat and long handle bar.

Unless I do a trick or when I mount on my unicycle for a skinny ride never hurt my balls.

I don’t get the bike short thingy either… I thought that was for the inside of the tighs. A pair of tight boxer does the job of keeping your package at the right place, in my opinion. I also thought everyone was wearing those when they did sports and such.

Wow I feel like a retard this took me for ever to write and it’s still sloppy, I’m going to go to bed

1 Like

you can also try cycling shorts and thick shorts