Unicycling and marathon training

So I’ve decided to get back into running and since I’m gonna do it I might as well do it big. There’s a 5k marathon coming up next month and an 8k the following month. The 8k is my main goal to accomplish, for the 5k I just wanna beat my time (25:13).

So for anyone out there are there, any tips I could use to take full advantage of my lovely uni when I cross train.

What is a 5k marathon? Do you mean a 5k and a marathon?

Just a 5k no marathon, sorry

You want to develop cardio?

Muni.

I’ve found that no other type of riding can get my heart rate up quite like muni.

Yup, Muni. With lots of climbing if you have it available.

BTW, the first Unicon Road race (1988) was 8k. That was the maximum distance available on the road from the busy highway outside of town, to the center of town where the race ended. And of course everyone was on 20" or 24" wheels back in those days…

TE=johnfoss;1616548]Yup, Muni. With lots of climbing if you have it available.

BTW, the first Unicon Road race (1988) was 8k. That was the maximum distance available on the road from the busy highway outside of town, to the center of town where the race ended. And of course everyone was on 20" or 24" wheels back in those days…
[/QUOTE]

Wow that’s interesting. I couldnt imagine doing an 8k on a 20" just racing my friend a mile on our 24"s is tiring.

Will distance rides help as well? I normally do about a 3-5mile ride around my neighbourhood. I just got back from a muni ride at a close by hiking trail and wow am I tired. The trail was only about 3miles but it was quite a workout. My friend and I are gonna try to go this weekend and explore the other paths they have there. Thanks for all the tips I’ll definitely keep doing muni.

I sometimes cross train on a stationary bike when the weather’s too much. How about about a stationary uni? Maybe up on a treadmill? :wink:

But seriously - any time in the saddle is good as long as the effort is the same as the run days.