Unicycle comic strip

slight modification:

brevity.jpg

2 Likes

Bob the Squirrel supposedly called it quits and every day this week has been parodies of other comics.

haha :smiley: :smiley: I like that one. That’s gold

This is today’s Non-Sequiter:

lnq070606.gif

I love the modification. :slight_smile:

Another funny cartoon- not ABOUT unicycles, but…

prc070615.gif

Calvin & Hobbes sled conversation homage or knock-off?
You be the judge.

In today’s paper:

Todays Combs Editorial Cartoon:

CombsP20070923_low.jpg

Okay, It didn’t run this way, but what the heck. It took five minutes to fix it.

speedbump2666680071105.gif

1 Like

By the way, IntoTheBlue-
Calvin & Hobbes’ wagonride conversations were either an homage or a knockoff of Skippy cartoons from the thirties. Watterson knew his cartoon history really, really well. I’m betting homage. Stantis knows that Watterson lifted the form from Skippy, too. He’s the one that showed me.

Not two Americans in ten thousand can recall ever having heard of ‘Skippy’, though, so being in Wales, you’re not expected to either.

How did it run?

Isn’t that one of the peanut butter brands? It’s still around, not just a memory of a bygone era. They tried to revamp it like 5 years ago by putting it into tubes so you could have Skippy on the go. Looked totally disgusting though.

Can’t say I’ve heard of Skippy sorry.
My duffing knowledge of funny papers goes about as far back as Herriman’s Krazy Kat and Ignatz and Windsor McCay’s Little Nemo. After that it’s all Will Eisner (which is no bad thing).

No offence intended with the abrupt tone of my original remark.

Ha, i loved all those cartoons and comics. Just nice to see things like that. The only comics ive ever saw just sucked lol. crappy illistration. But nice work peeps!

No offense taken- seriously, almost no one remembers Skippy. It was just too long ago. You’re familiar with the true classics, obviously. And you’re right, Will Eisner is something. I got to meet him a couple of times. I was all awestruck.

As for skilewis74’s question: It was originally a mountain bike in the cartoon, of course. If Coverly had drawn a mountain unicycle, most of his readership would have thought he made it up.

And zfreak220 is on the right track. Skippy peanut butter is the last remaining vestige of the old comic strip. Originally, the makers of Skippy peanut butter paid Percy Crosby to use the name of his comic strip- this was back when there was popular music, a broadway play and an academy award nominated movie based on Skippy- and the Crosby family is still in some kind of legal battle with the current parent company of Skippy peanut butter. Since the family still owns the copyrights, and the peanut butter company negotiated the right to use the name for a particular dollar amount, the argument goes, then they should still have to pay.

I figure the corporate giants will probably have their way.

A friend of mine found a unicycle in some manga he was reading.
http://koiwai.biz/eng/v7/ch43/43_15120x175_jpg.htm
Read the panel on the right first and work your way left. It’s a Japanese comic book style.

But can he ride it one footed?

Looks like some of our off-road trails. I am sure the cartoonist has no idea how accurate this really is.

Now I’m just over analyising things here, but is he saying that the track is all wonky because you can’t ride in a straight line, or just that unicycles are pure awesomeness and anything but a sweet track like that is a waste of time.