You may have seen my recent series of Mountain Unicycling tutorials. As my pre-planned videos come to an end, I thought I might ask which questions people would like to see me try and answer. There will be one on equipment, one on braking and one on setup that are already preproduced coming up.
It’s been a while since I was a beginner at Muni, so I’m especially curious for questions those have (I tried my best to put myself in the position of being one and to collect common questions I’d see here), but I will probably also expand this to a few more advanced techniques, so I’d like to hear your questions there too.
I do have a few pieces of advice that I still want to put into videos, but it hasn’t really come together as whole video ideas yet, but I’m sure there is plenty of topics that I didn’t think about yet to round those out into more complete packages.
I love the tutorial videos. Here are some ideas. They aren’t refined, but perhaps they trigger a better idea from you:
- How to find good/new MUni trails, and how to interpret the quality of a trail from a map or the internet.
- How to build lines in your mind when cruising a trail for the first time. Walking through different ways to think about lines.
- How to session spots to get better. And how much to add that in to regular riding. And maybe thats more self-explanatory.
- Skills that aren’t directly useful most of the time, but help build general riding ability. Strategies to still stand longer, alt mounting options, riding in reverse, etc.
Disclaimer: I need to start watching the videos but if its not specifically covered yet, techniques for going uphill off road and I suppose, also going down something steep.
haven’t yet watched the videos… I need to learn some muni skills:
- jumping over those pesky roots that cross my path
- jumping from one rock to another
- learn to handle small falls
- free mounting when the slope is going up
more to come
Biggest issue for me when learning was mental, getting over that bridge that I wasn’t clearing things because I wasn’t doing a “full send” and committing to the control and speed needed to successfully navigate terrain and clear sections.
Might be worth touching on the mental part.
Some of those are covered already. Givem a watch!
What I would like to learn is balancing on the spot.
So, a little bit like Zoé does in minute 4:50:
The idea is, when I go offroad and the terrain is challenging for me, to have better control when driving real slow. So i thought, this skill or training towards it might be helpful.
I can jump on the spot for that, but this could be a handy alternative.
Probably it’s just learning by doing, but I’d be happy for helpful ideas, thanks!
And Finn, thank you so much for your tutorials!
Absolutely some good ideas here, thanks everyone!
I think I do have a few ideas for a few more complete videos now, let’s see when I find the time to make them.