unicycle as trailer behind a bike?

For transportation of your unicycle it should be nice to put it behind your bike, like an one wheeled trailer (a kind of Bob Yak). Does somebody tried it or has plans to realise it?

John

A unicycle would make a pretty bad trailer. Spin a unicycle wheel really fast. What happens? Oh yeah. Those cranks and pedals keep it from spinning in a straight line!

Better to get one of those one-wheeled bike trailers, and put one or more unicycles in that.

> Those cranks and pedals keep it from spinning in a straight line!

That’s right. It should have a flexible heavily damped connection. Removing the crancks will solve this problem. Or just rotate one of the cranks 180 degrees.

I saw on http://www.bobtrailers.com/index.html?main=traileraccessories.html#newfork
that you can buy the fork for around 50 dolllars and a quick release for 25 dollars. The only thing to realise is a clamping mechanism to the seat post.

John

Do what I did.

Hang the bike from the ceiling in the garage. Ride the Uni.:wink:

Taking the cranks off the uni would kind of defeat the purpose, unless the idea is to make a trailer out of a unicycle. That would be cool, except the lack of cranks might make it look less like a unicycle.

Rotate one crank 180 degrees? I don’t think you thought that one through. Sure it would be a straight line in one direction, but not up and down!

Re: unicycle as trailer behind a bike?

johnfoss wrote:
> A unicycle would make a pretty bad trailer. Spin a unicycle wheel really
> fast. What happens? Oh yeah. Those cranks and pedals keep it from
> spinning in a straight line!
>
> Better to get one of those one-wheeled bike trailers, and put one or
> more unicycles in that.

I agree. I can carry 3 unicycles and a load of juggling kit on my Yak,
if I want to.

I’ve also seen a yike carried on a Bike Hod, which worked very well.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Hi,
I know someone who just bored a hole in each end of a piece of wood and put the bike seat post through one hole and the uni seat post through the other with the uni seat tied to the wood to stop it rotating. I don’t think it was ideal for long distances but it cost nothing.
It worked ok on smooth surfaces, it was difficult to steer round sharp corners.

//\

I had 2 post this…

finunitrailer.bmp (553 KB)

And the Trail-A-Uni. After all, it only has one wheel!

that might work, but it would cause the uni to hop when going fast. I think a better solution is to have a counter weight that attaches to each crank. Ideally, it would be able to be attached and removed quickly.

my $.02
Daniel

tie a rope to it and drag it

I think that i have found the stupid answer:
This was brought on by neccessity as I had just buckled my wheel a couple of miles from my house>:D

Incidentally though I hace been working on a unicycle attachment thing for my bike (the previously mentioned bit of wood with two holes bored in it) and would be intrested to know if anybody has some thoughts on how to design a better version. The problem with my first attempt (now cruelly serving an alternative purpose of heating our house!) was that because neither the bike seat post nor the unicycle seat post could be held vertical the holes in the wood could also not be vertical. This meant that if you wanted to turn a corner, dicounting a certain amount of play from slightly too large holes and a long, slightly bendy bit of wood, the unicylce would lift off the ground. Because of the play that I mentioned before you could still get round gentle corners like this but it was a bit bouncy!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the possibility of using some kind of joint that would allow movement of the unicycle in all 3 planes? Perhaps if it were too loose and easy to turn the unicycle would just flop over?

Thanks for any help
Tim

There are a few threads from Sofa and I about carrying unicycles on, rather than behind, bikes. I think he is currently winning as I don’t have enough unicycles to keep up… :slight_smile:

There are (poor quality) photos of my bike with two munis on it in this thread, but I can’t find the more recent one from Sofa with half his house on the back of the bike…

Phil

> Spin a unicycle wheel really fast. What happens?

I know it will wobble, but I don’t know how big the wobbling will be. It depends on the inertia of your cranks and pedals, but also on the inertia of your wheel. The larger the wheel and the smaller the cranks, the smaller the wobbling will be.

I did not do any calculations, but intuitively I expect the wobbling will be halvated by removing the pedals (T=I*dw/dt and I=Integral rho R^2 dV). And the wobbling can also be halvated by using 4.5" in stead of 7" cranks.

I am now thinking of making a U-shaped thing with a part of a seat post connected to it:

|
  |===  part of seat post to connected to uni.
  |

-----|
|
rotation point

I don’t know what should be easier: connecting the uni by 4 bolts (from the saddle) or use a circular tube

I am also thinking of clamping a rail to the front fork and to
the fork of the uni to be able to mount bags for a low rider.

The center part is misaligned and should have been shifted to the right.

-----

Trusst me, it will be very annoying. The faster you go, the more powerful the wobbling force will be. If you mean to tow behind a bike you may not go too fast, but the wobbling will probably be felt in the bike.

If you take the pedals off it will make a big difference, but that takes away from your convenience factor.

My worst-ever unicycle crash was caused by wobble. I was running down the street pushing my 6’ Schwinn in front of me. The rpms got so fast, the wheel started bouncing off the ground and lost control. I tripped over it. Ouch.