Uni newbie with question @ used Loyd for $50? Good deal?

Hi all. Im totally new to unicycles. Actually, have not even bought or ridden one yet.
But suddenly find myself interested in riding uni. So have been looking for used ones to start out on as I cant afford to spend much money on one now, especially as Ive yet to experientially discover if ill like it enough to really use it much.

So I put a posting online looking to buy a used one.
This woman responded offering to sell her old Loyd unicycle for $50 to me.

I’d like to know if this sounds like a good deal for what it is?

Below is what she says about her uni for sale. -

“It is made by Loyd–an older brand, not like the Torker or newer ones you probably know of. Solid frame/pedals/and wheel with bolted on everything. It is a street unicycle and can be used for tricks because the seat post is a bolt–I found that when bouncing on a unicyle the quick release seats can come loose–annoying!!”

Pics of the unicycle -

I high suggest not buying that unicycle. Nothing about it is good. That seat will be painful. The crank arms are cottered which means they are very weak and since they are a very outdated technology they are near impossible to upgrade at this point if they break. The rim will be weak and the frame isn’t well suited to any sort of freestyle trick.

What I suggest is saving up a bit more and getting this: http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1198 which is an amazing unicycle for the money and will make the whole experience much much more pleasant for you. Not to mention that it comes in some pretty cool colors.

I would not pay more than 15 dollars for that Loyd unicycle.

Agree Completely.
That thing needs its Tetnus Shots.
I would go with the one above or a jugglebug…those are always fun.:slight_smile:

Yeah, don’t buy that… my friend has an old one like that, and really, its unrideable… (w00t retrocycle)Try looking @ craigslist. I got a torker lx (good enough for learning and freestyle) for $75. If there aren’t any on craigslist now, just wait a few days and check again.

if u wanted to learn to ride (whereeveru live) try to find a club people there will be a great deal of help and will get u started and on your way

n0 0ff3nc3, bu7 1m40 7h47 un1cyc13 l00k5 d34d1y, but fun. B4d buy, but 17 l00k5 l1k3 17’5 ki113d p30pl3 b3f0r3 r0f1m40… 7h475 0n3 0f 7h3 funn1357 7h1ngz 1v3 3v3r s4w

p.5. 50rry b0u7 t3h 1337 101!!!

A Loyd unicycle is worth more than $15 as a collectible, but I wouldn’t want to ride it much. Unfortunately that one isn’t all original, it has had the seat replaced. The replacement was a big improvement when it was new, but now it’s beat up and still a very outdated (and not very comfortable or durable) model by today’s standards.

unibikeling, does your texting device have letters on it? If not, please wait until you get home before posting.

Sorry, im like really tired and felt the need to type in leet, i was on my laptop lol. Yeah, sorry bout that

Stop that, its really very obnoxious. You aren’t being clever or cool, its just annoying. We all know what leet speak is, its nothing special.

EDIT: You got your apology in before I posted this. Just think about what you are posting next time. If you are tired why not go to bed?

YUP!!! look at my sig now!

hehehe…

nope:p

my sig is too big…

Too late.

For some reason I never received notifications of anyones responses to my original post / question, even though i selected to receive instant email notifications of replies to threads i post.

Oh well.

The woman selling it called back pretty quick, I went and bought it already.
Well, its only $50 so hopefully it will at least be worthwhile as a first unicycle to begin learning very basic things like how to stay on the thing?
I was just playing with it a little in my kitchen, holding onto something while mounting and just getting a feel for being on it, doing a halfpedal back and forth while recognizing that it will indeed take some practice just to be able to stay upright on it for one rotation of pedals even.

At least it has a wheel, pedals rotate the wheel, and seat has not collapsed. Its not horribly uncomfortable. Not going to try hopping on it though.

well, good luck with it though, although i feel like i’d somehow get raped by that seat. Happy cruising