Uni in skate bag?

I have a skate board bag and I was wondering if I could use it to carry my
24" uni?
I once heard that kris holm carreyed a uni up a mountain in a snowboard bag(incase you were wondering were I got the idea from).

:slight_smile:

Why are you asking us?

I was wondering if someone has tried it befor :wink:

yeah seriously, we don’t know anything about unicycles.

Oh stop being a dumbasses :wink: if you can’t help, don’t post

Next time I want to carry a black keyboard on my right shoulder, I’ll come to you for advice.

I’ve seen folks carry their uni’s up mountains strapped to a backpack wheel up before. I guess it depends on the bag. Since Uni’s aren’t too hard to assemble/dissassemble, the bag would only have to be large enough to fit the wheel really. Everything else should fit if it does. It’s prolly best to just go ahead and try it. Have you ever taken your Uni apart or put it together before?

I wasn’t aware I was being a “dumbasses,” haha.

Ok, ok. :slight_smile: I have taken my uni on various trips, including a trip to France, in my duffel bag. I’m pretty sure you can carry your uni however is most convenient for you. If the bag works, then great!

Now that is something I am an expert in.

Yeah i carry my 24" on the back of my rucksack, fully assembled, when walking or biking. My rucksack is a snowboard bag, it has built in straps that can be used to secure a uni. Lay your rucksack on the floor, lay the uni on the back of it with the centre of the wheel roughly in he centre of the bag, the cranks horiztonal so the pedal pointing towards the wearer goes down the side of the bag, and the frame/saddle pointing straight down. Now strap it through the spokes, I put two straps through the spokes, and one around the frame at the crown to stop it swinging from side to side.

I’ll probebly need to add more straps then.

edit: do you have any pics?

This is the only one I have, not very clear but gives you an idea of where the uni should be. This was back in the bad old days when we were using a walking rucksack with seperate straps looped round the shoulder straps to hold the uni, my current bag has straps built in to the structre.

Interesting… How did you find the separate straps solution worked? I’d like to do something like this, but have been resisting buying a snowboard pack on the grounds of practicality (and the fact I do a lot of big wheeling).

Cheers,
Mark

Several of the Emus use a big strap, attached to the seat, and to somewhere in the wheel, which you just bung over your shoulder. It’s quicker than the attach to backpack method to take on/off.

On mine, if I really need to, my camelbak is covered in straps, I’ve had a unicycle through them before and it’s fine. I’ve done it when I needed to take 2 unicycles somewhere.

I don’t usually use it for uphills, cos it’s better to at least have a go at riding them, I know there are a few mountains in the world where riding uphill is just not an option, but I usually ride in the UK, where the mountains are small and riding uphill is at least on the verge of possibility. It’s nice to try and progress your uphill riding too, rather than becoming a fat lazy downhiller like. I’ve been doing multiple 1000 feet ascents every weekend recently. It’s awesome fun, and hell do you earn your gravity karma at the end of that (bring on the 5-10 km long descents).

Joe

We developed this technique for getting up the later stages of the miner’s path on snowdon, which is entirely impossible to ride. I guess you’re right, in that we’re dodging trying to ride up the llanberris route, but it’s just such a boring and long ascent, and none of us are that fit.

Mark, the seperate straps work ok, but take ages and much fiddling to get set correctly.

thanks that helps :slight_smile:

May I ask what bag you’re currently using? I was looking at the Dakine Heli (maybe pro) pack as a possibility…

Cheers,
Mark

Yeah, no-one is fit enough / has good enough technique to ride up the Llanberis route yet. Roger and I really went for it one of the times, and we reckoned we’d ridden maybe 20-25% of it at most. I think we’re both a bit limited in terms of trials though, which makes the technical bits hard to get anywhere on, it takes so much effort for me just to hop a couple of steps.

I reckon what it needs is the combination of someone who has a very efficient trials riding style, to be able to hop over some of the rock steps on the harder bits, but is also a good XC rider to get up the completely rideable bits in between. I’ve met a couple of riders who have that really efficient uphill style, there’s this guy Bevan in California in particular who bombed up stuff that was just un-rideable, without looking like it was taking too much effort, but no-one has really combined that with long distance muni riding yet.

Joe

Dakine helipack, i would maybe have preferred the pro as the volume of the helipack is limited. I can hook my 24" or trials to it in less than a minute using the straps that come with it.

I would have thought a major obstacle to being able to ride the whole lot would be the section immeadiately after clogwyn cottage (where the path passes underneath the railway) as it is just incredibly steep for some way, I’m not sure anyone could ride up that steep consistently.

Yeah. That’d be super hard. But I don’t think there’s anything so steep that it’d be unrideable if it was tarmacced. If I’m right about that, then I reckon it’d be possible for someone who is a super trials dude to get up with some hopping. The shale bit later on though, that’d be hard to ride uphill even hopping without sliding out.

To be honest though, I’d be pretty pleased if I ever manage to ride 75% of that uphill. That’d be great.

Having said all this, I did remember a time when I could have done with a strap, in Scotland, going up the dodgy side of Braeriach, the lovely uphill singletrack ends and there is a short section where you basically have to hang off some rocks over a big old drop into a gully and climb up what in winter is probably an ice climb, but in dry summer is a mainly dry waterfall. Climbing that one handed with a unicycle was not one of my most sensible moments, and basically involved getting on, grabbing the unicycle and inching my way till I could dump the unicycle off the top. Would have been a lot safer with some kind of strap, or even just a rope to haul it up (doing that route meant a fantastic and quite easy ride in with some awesome river crossings, followed by a downhill technical singletrack ride out, with a munro bunged in the middle for a bonus)

Joe