Uni-Basketball at NUC

I couple days ago I received an email with confirmation info for the national unicycle convention this summer, and it said under the part for unicycle basketball that someone who is not a member of a team can sign up to be on a “pick-up” team with other people who don’t have their own team.

So I thought that sounded like fun and went and bought a 4$ basketball from Wal-Mart. I tried dribbling a little bit today and I think with practice I could get to be ok at it.

So I’m wondering, since it’s the national championships should only people who have experience playing uni basketball sign up? And if I were to sign up, would my teammates be likely to not appreciate the fact that I’m not very good?

Thanks!
Nikki

Most unicycle basketball players aren’t very good. Most of the better players have teams, because they play. The rest of us probably don’t do it often (on unicycles). If the person is a good basketball player off the unicycle, they’ll be a better teammate than a good unicyclist without good basketball skills. Like me.

The pickup teams are playing for fun, and that’s what it is. If you’re interested in basketball or hockey, I encourage you to sign up and give it a try!

It really doesnt matter if your any good or not, only if you want to play and have fun. same goes for hockey.

Ok. Well, that sounds like fun. I’m a decent unicyclist and a bad basketball player but oh well. I dominate in knock-out in gym class, though. :wink:

Hockey sounds like fun, too. I should have my own stick, right? Does everyone use street hockey sticks? How long should the stick be? Probably a little longer than if I were on the ground since the unicycle makes me a little taller?

Thanks again!
Nikki

It’s recommended that you have your own stick, but it is very likely that you can borrow a club stick, or a friends.

Are pucks or balls used for hockey? Because I think I’m going to buy a stick to practice with and I don’t know which I should get.

Nikki

Usually dead tennis balls. We generally have a hole cut into it, a small one, to make it bounce poorly.

Wherever you buy your stick they will have little plastic hockey balls. Balls, not pucks, are generally used for uni hockey. Here are the IUF rules:

http://www.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~sander/uni/iuf_03e.html#3.3

Of course, you are not bound by them, but it gives you an idea of the type of equipment typically used.

The looks and comments you get when practicing slap shots on a uni are well worth the lack of skill you may actually have. I know; I lack the skill but love the comments. My favorite was a laconic, “well that’s something you don’t see every day.”

Have fun,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Uni-Basketball at NUC

nikki, Hi

I have a basketball T-shirt for you, where can I send it?
So you can start wearing something about uni-basketball.

David Ramos
uniciclo@aol.com

David,

Hi! I just sent you an e-mail with my address. Thanks!

I got a new freestyle unicycle for Christmas. That’s what I’ll be using for uni-basketball. It has a 20" wheel. Maybe you can give me some pointers at the convention before I actually have to play. :slight_smile:

It’ll be nice to see you again!

Nikki

David, did you get my email? I just wanted to be sure.

Nikki