UDC T7 handlebar / rail unit

I bought a UDC T7 for my UDC 36er as soon as it came out. I’ve taken it on a few short and long rides and really liked it.

My typical riding still doesn’t involve pulling on the seat handle at all, really. I bought the handlebars to have somewhere decent to mount my cyclometer / lights / bell / any future brake lever I might have. I also wanted to be able to take my weight off the seat somewhat on long rides, and possibly improve my stability a bit.

The T7 works well for mounting lights. I mounted a Cat Eye bicycle front light underneath the grips and a Cat Eye LED rear on the back handle. The T7 does give good protection to both, although the rear T handle is a little bit narrow to fully protect the Cat Eye horizontal rear light. The front light does experience quite a jolt when the uni falls, which caused mine a bit of damage (although it was very old and worn already) but I didn’t find it hit the ground on the level (it would still be vulnerable to rocks / uneven ground). How well protected the lights are obviously depends on shape and size, so your mileage may vary.

The front of the unit allows space for the mounting of a cyclometer and bell. My cheapo cyclometer is pretty easy to read and operate whilst riding - it’s nice to know how fast I’m going or how far I’ve come without having to dismount to read the screen!

Underneath the front section, the T7 has threaded holes to attach a bottle cage to. I’ve fitted a 500ml thermal bottle under there and found it to be fairly well protected on even ground, although it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to mount anything too expensive in there! It does need pushing back in fully after the uni has been dropped.

The rear “handle” provides space for another bottle cage, or perhaps a small frame back to be fitted. Currently I have neither but am intending to install a small mudguard in time for winter!

So, it’s great as a holder-of-things. How does it work as a handle? Well, the rear T handle is really useful for pulling the big 36er upstairs by, and for wheeling it on the flat. The front bars are good to rest one or both hands on whilst riding. You’ll probably want to buy some bar grips to make them more comfortable, but note that they will also be acting as bumpers when (if!) you drop the uni so don’t spend too much on them! With a little practice, I’ve found it possible to lift myself up slightly whilst riding in order to reduce saddle discomfort.

The other major feature of the T7 is the rail adaptor. In order to use the T7, you have to get a rail-compatible seat post. I bought a Kris Holm post from unicycle.com. The tilt adjustment provided by this is really good. A little experimentation is probably necessary, but tilting the front of the saddle up provides a noticeable improvement in weight distribution for many people. One thing worth noting is that the use of a rail adaptor / seatpost increases the minimum height of the seat. Additionally, if your seat is set very low and far forward it may not be possible to mount a bottle cage on the rear of the handle as it will be too close to the seatpost clamp.

Finally, I can say that the handle appears decently strong - it has held up to plenty of droppings already. The powder coat colour looks much better than it appears in the pictures on UDC UK, being a little darker in shade. The corners of the front bars, and ends of the rear handle are susceptible to chipping when dropped, so I’ve wrapped these in insulating tape for protection.

Overall, although it costs quite a lot for a uni accessory, I’m definitely pleased to have spent the money. The convenience of having lights and cyclometer well mounted is great, and it’s nice to have the bars to hold / lean on. It’s cheaper than a GB handle + carbon base + rail adaptor, and involves less dismantling of your saddle. It also allows you to keep your existing front-of-seat handle if you want for added versatility. A worthy choice for commuters and distance riders.

Nice job - congratulations to Roger and the rest of UDC.

Great write up, thank you for all the info Mark.

Great review, this forum needs more like it. Thanks.

I was wondering, can you still use the normal(plastic) handle to hop with?

I’m thinking of trying to use this for muni.

also, does the back bumper get in the way for UPDs?

big_sa1068_t7_handle.jpg

I think so. It’s possibly not quite so easy to grab with the T7 on there, but it’s certainly doable.

Yeah, the thought had occurred to me too. I’m not sure how well suited it is though - the T7 handles are quite a way forward… I’m not sure it’d be as good as something like a reeder, but then I’ve never used a reeder so that’s just a guess :slight_smile:

Would be really nice to have something like the T7 for long XC rides, especially if you need to do roads as well.

Neither the front nor the rear handles get in the way when UPDing - at least, they haven’t so far!

cool. I might try one out!

Mark-- Thanks for the helpful review. As a Coker rider who has been reasonably pleased with the GB4 handle for the past two years, I’m very tempted to purchase a T7. --carl (North Dakota)

You can, but it’s somehow not the same as hopping without the T7, I can’t quite hold the handle like i can without it else my knuckle hits the steel tube. I really don’t think it would be much good for Muni, the handle is angled wrongly for getting a good rolling hop to clear obstacles. The rear bumper is good for catching when you mess up a rolling mount, my only bug-bear is that the powder gets scratched really quickly because the handle is the first thing to strike the ground.

Blue PVC tape is your friend - it doesn’t show up too much against the frame and guards against chipping. If it wears off, it can easily be replaced.

Anyone know the screw thread size for the water bottle holes?

It doesn’t come with the screws?

If the T7 had screws I threw them away by mistake. I started looking at water bottles, one bottle had something inside, I’m wondering if those were screws. I need to find a bottle holder that holds the bottle especially secure because the mount is nearly level, not nearly vertical as on a bike.

Bolts aren’t supplied, i believe they’re M4 threads.

My bottle cage came with the screws when I bought it, to my relief. Not sure if they always do…

You will notice that depending on the design of the bottle cage it may or may not fit on the rear position. I bent the fittings on mine to get it to fit. The next version I hope to have this fixed. Minor tweek. :slight_smile:

Roger

I’m pretty sure the bottle bosses on bike frames are usually M5. I would guess that’s what they are on the T7 handle.
(but I haven’t actually seen a T7 so I may end up looking a fool :o)

Rob

Update on the T7: I’ve had some problems with the bottle cage bosses coming away from the handle. I’m still very pleased with the handle, and am working with Roger to debug this problem.

Well I’m sure Roger made them a standard size, ad Im only guessing by eye so im sure you’re right.

They are a standard size and pitch. I have found that some bottle cages (not all) catch on the rear support when they are fitted. I have a modification to the design that will fix this totally but it will not happen until the next batch. My guess is that Mark has one of the bottle cages that catches and this is what instigated the boss to start coming loose… I am also going to ask the manufacturer to beef up the fixing as well.

I will see what we can do for Mark with his. I will sort this with him off the forum.

Roger

This sounds promising, I haven’t been able to use the rear mount for a bottle cage, but with my platypus for water, having a 500ml bottle up front for lucozade was more than enough. Still, the ability to mount a couple of bottles may well become very useful during the summer!

Thank you, Roger. Sorry for mentioning it on here, but since my review mentioned the usefulness of the bottle cage mounts I thought it would be worth mentioning I’d had a few minor issues. I was planning on updating here again once we’ve figured out the best solution.

Again, I’m still very happy with the handlebar unit overall, so no complaints with the general design.